Ergo-bone vs Spinesaver

ttf_Dennis Clason

Ergo-bone vs Spinesaver

Post by ttf_Dennis Clason »

I've been having some neck pain in the last few months.

A neck x-ray revealed some arthritic changes (disc degeneration) and bone spur formation. I've seen a physical therapist and will be seeing him fairly regularly for a while. He thinks my trombone habit is part of the problem, and suggested looking into support systems.

I was aware of the Ergobone, but my Google-fu uncovered the Spinesaver.

Are there are any opinions about the advantages and drawbacks on each?

With regard to the Spinesaver, the maker offer "custom bending". How does this work?

Thanks in advance.
ttf_hyperbolica

Ergo-bone vs Spinesaver

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I wasn't aware of the spinesaver. http://trombonespinesaver.com/

Thanks for calling attention to it. To me it looks like an improvement on the ergobone. I have an ergobone, and I know several people who have one but don't use it. The problem is it's permanently attached, difficult to remove, really dangerous for your horn, and other problems including expensive and hard to find. Spinesaver is easier to use, and it clamps down more motion, although it also looks like you can free up the rotation if you want to. The one problem with the spinesaver that I see is that it's made to sit on a chair, and that's not always available. Also, the Spinesaver looks even more expensive, and it's still made of steel, which is a big dent waiting to happen.

The ergobone has a chest harness so you can play standing up or when a chair doesn't come forward past your crotch. If you modify your ergobone so that the clamp is more of a Y, like the spinesaver, that fixes some of the problems with the ergobone. Also, spinesaver looks to be made in US. I think the ergobone is made in Finland, which is part of the availability problem.

Anyway, no definitive answer, but it's nice to have another device to compare.

ttf_Dennis Clason

Ergo-bone vs Spinesaver

Post by ttf_Dennis Clason »

Quote from: hyperbolica on Oct 28, 2017, 07:45AM The one problem with the spinesaver that I see is that it's made to sit on a chair, and that's not always available. Also, the Spinesaver looks even more expensive, and it's still made of steel, which is a big dent waiting to happen.

There is a fitting available (extra cost, naturally Image) that attaches the strut to the user's belt. Putting the weight on the hips is even a better idea than putting it on the shoulders.

As to being made of steel, I figure I'm buying one but I'll need it for all three horns, so it's going into the mute bag (or alongside the mute bag in a PVC case or something). It's not going to reside in the case with the instrument.

The current exchange rate is $1.16 = €1.00. The Ergobone full set is €172 (including a flat shipping fee), so it's $200 plus whatever duties Uncle Sam demands. The Spinesaver is $224 including the belt fitting. Pricing looks to me like a wash.
ttf_hyperbolica

Ergo-bone vs Spinesaver

Quote from: Dennis Clason on Oct 28, 2017, 09:38AM
The current exchange rate is $1.16 = €1.00. The Ergobone full set is €172 (including a flat shipping fee), so it's $200 plus whatever duties Uncle Sam demands. The Spinesaver is $224 including the belt fitting. Pricing looks to me like a wash.

I bought my ergobone from some music dealer in Nebraska for $159. Thompson Music, I think it was. They had one in stock.
ttf_hyperbolica

Ergo-bone vs Spinesaver

Quote from: Dennis Clason on Oct 28, 2017, 09:38AM

I bought my ergobone from some music dealer in Nebraska for $159. Thompson Music, I think it was. They had one in stock.

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”