Tip of tongue BURNS with slightest spiciness

ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Not quite sure what happened... I've long been a lover of spicy foods, and my tolerance has increased drastically in the past half year or so.

But something changed...

In the last two months, I've gone from being able to handle the pleasant, long temr tingle for a good burn to the mouth, to being in immense pain on the TIP of my tongue with ANY level of spiciness, even from the weakest of stuff (Frank's Red Hot is too hot!). The burn will remain on the tip long after the rest of my mouth is fine again.

Does anyone have experience with this? I tried looking it up but could find anything. At the moment, I'm just trying to stay away from spicy foods for a  couple of months until it hopefully dies down, but could there be something I could do to help build myself back up again to tolerate spicy foods??  Image Image
ttf_CJ

Post by ttf_CJ »

Is it instantaneous?  If so, I’d guess that you need to go cold turkey. You may have damaged your tongue and it need some time to recover. If it’s slow, it may be that you’ve developed an allergy.
ttf_bubbachet

Post by ttf_bubbachet »

Does your tongue appear normal? If you've got any sores or open spots on your tongue, let those heal completely. Geographic Tongue can take a long time to heal and spicy foods will prolong the issue.
ttf_cigmar

Post by ttf_cigmar »

Patient:  "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."

Doctor:  "Don't do that."
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

My tongue has always very very sensitive to heat, not so much spiciness.  Even a small touch of food or drink that's too hot will make that spot sore for a few days - temperatures that others seem to tolerate easily.  I have to be very careful.
That's probably not related to your issue.
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Oct 25, 2017, 10:52AMMy tongue has always very very sensitive to heat, not so much spiciness.  Even a small touch of food or drink that's too hot will make that spot sore for a few days - temperatures that others seem to tolerate easily.  I have to be very careful.

Strangely enough, it sounds similar. Was eating some leftovers from Outback just now - fried shrimp w/ cocktail sauce... I'm not sure if it was the relatively-hot shrimp or the non-spicy cocktail sauce but I could still feel that tingling with every bite.  Image
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Oct 25, 2017, 10:52AMMy tongue has always very very sensitive to heat, not so much spiciness.  Even a small touch of food or drink that's too hot will make that spot sore for a few days - temperatures that others seem to tolerate easily.  I have to be very careful.

Strangely enough, it sounds similar. Was eating some leftovers from Outback just now - fried shrimp w/ cocktail sauce... I'm not sure if it was the relatively-hot shrimp or the non-spicy cocktail sauce but I could still feel that tingling with every bite.  Image

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”