New Study Favors Fat Over Carbs

ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Just when you thought it was safe to leave the cream out of your coffee...

Report in The lancet via NY Times:

QuoteHigh carbohydrate intake is associated with a higher risk of mortality, and high fat intake with a lower risk, researchers report.

An international team of scientists studied diet and mortality in 135,335 people between 35 and 70 years old in 18 countries, following them for an average of more than seven years...
QuoteCompared with people who ate the lowest 20 percent of carbohydrates, those who ate the highest 20 percent had a 28 percent increased risk of death. But high carbohydrate intake was not associated with cardiovascular death.

People with the highest 20 percent in total fat intake — an average of 35.3 percent of calories from fat — had about a 23 percent reduced risk of death compared with the lowest 20 percent (an average of 10.6 percent of calories from fat). Consuming higher saturated fat, polyunsaturated fat and monounsaturated fat were all associated with lower mortality. Higher fat diets were also associated with a lower risk of stroke.

This is why people are science doubters.  The perceived advice on health has been all over the map.

ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Today at 07:08 AMThis is why people are science doubters.  The perceived advice on health has been all over the map.
Agreed.  Health is a science that seems to be in it's infancy.  It deals with the extremely complex and collectively the research is appallingly expensive.  However, folks should not paint all science with the same brush.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

I get it why there are science-deniers and science-haters (not saying I am one).

New science almost always proves that old science is completely wrong. However, the more complex the science, the longer it takes to prove it wrong. Someday, and I probably will not live to see it, Einstein's General Theory of Relativity will probably be proven to be total gibberish.

And yet we build the present & plan for the future with what we have.

...Geezer
ttf_ronkny

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Today at 07:08 AMJust when you thought it was safe to leave the cream out of your coffee...

Report in The lancet via NY Times:

This is why people are science doubters.  The perceived advice on health has been all over the map.

Dr Atkins came up with that idea years ago.
And sugar is inflammatory. Too much can cause all kinds of problems.  If you don't have the inflammation caused from excess sugar then fat in your diet is less of a problem. Less damage to your organs and blood vessels.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: ronkny on Today at 08:16 AMDr Atkins came up with that idea years ago.
And sugar is inflammatory. Too much can cause all kinds of problems.  If you don't have the inflammation caused from excess sugar then fat in your diet is less of a problem. Less damage to your organs and blood vessels.

Dpes this mean that the fat from my McDonald's french fries neutralizes the sugar in my shake? Image

(note: both are VERY rich in sodium; bad for hypertensives - but I like them; just don't eat them too often)
ttf_ronkny

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: BGuttman on Today at 08:39 AMDpes this mean that the fat from my McDonald's french fries neutralizes the sugar in my shake? Image

(note: both are VERY rich in sodium; bad for hypertensives - but I like them; just don't eat them too often)
I wish. I love french fries. But they are also carb heavy.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

I lowered my carb intake by replacing most of my rice, pasta, and bread consumption with legumes.  Beans, lentil, Indian dals, etc. 

I have lost 8 pounds.  'Nuff said.
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Quote from: ronkny on Today at 08:16 AMDr Atkins came up with that idea years ago.

Ketogenic diets (high fat, adequate protein, low carbs) have been around for years. At one time they were treatment for childhood epilepsy (until displaced by drug therapy). Weight loss was recognized as one of the side effects.

ttf_Andrew Meronek

Post by ttf_Andrew Meronek »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Today at 07:08 AMReport in The lancet via NY Times:

Reporters don't do people any favors, generally. The sentence QuoteDiet information depended on self-reports, and the scientists controlled for factors including age, sex, smoking, physical activity and body mass index. needs more explanation. We've known for a long time that high carb foods in many peoples' diets are highly processed and thus missing a lot of essential nutrients, and the article doesn't say if this particular study controlled for *all* factors that can be related to a carb or fat diet. Granted, this is hard, but the article really should state the limitations of the study as well as the findings. One big reason why "perceived advice on health has been all over the map" is due to sloppy science reporting.

ttf_TromboneMonkey

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

Calories > Macronutrients > Micronutrients > Meal Timing > Supplements

In the US especially, the vast majority of people would thrive on whatever diet composition will allow them to control their intake.  After that, indeed carbs should be regulated.  Most Americans get way too many, relative to protein and fat.

ttf_TromboneMonkey

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

Calories > Macronutrients > Micronutrients > Meal Timing > Supplements

In the US especially, the vast majority of people would thrive on whatever diet composition will allow them to control their intake.  After that, indeed carbs should be regulated.  Most Americans get way too many, relative to protein and fat.

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”