Thyroid problem

ttf_Roebird37

Thyroid problem

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Does anyone here have experience of overactive thyroid, and being weak and breathless because of it?

All was going well for me since the start of the year, I was getting on well with my new-to-me Holton TR181, and had even decided around Easter time I was ready to arrange another lesson with Doug Elliott and really get stuck into improving my playing.

Then I became very unwell quite quickly, could hardly stand, weak as a kitten, pain all over, breathless, heart palpitations and hand tremors amongst other symptoms.  I couldn't play my trombone for 5 weeks.
I'm on medication now and things are easing off a bit, so I'm going to try and do a bit of practice later. 

I'm interested to know if anyone else has had this, and been treated with Carbimazole, do you get your breath back and if so how long will that take? 

I've got a concert booked in 3 weeks' time, and I don't know whether I will need to get a sub to cover for me.
ttf_eightyeightH

Thyroid problem

Post by ttf_eightyeightH »

Just cbz or have you beta blockers as well?
ttf_Roebird37

Thyroid problem

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Quote from: eightyeightH on Jun 13, 2017, 01:46PMJust cbz or have you beta blockers as well?

No beta blockers.

I'm pleased to report that the heart stuff has pretty much stopped in the last few days, and I am feeling a lot more like myself. I've been on the Carb for 3 weeks today, so I assume that's kicking in properly now.
ttf_eightyeightH

Thyroid problem

Glad to hear it  Image . Beta blockers help with the tremor, slow your heart rate and reduce the palpitations, but could make you breathless.
ttf_Roebird37

Thyroid problem

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Thanks, it seems it was the thyroid causing the shortness of breath, as I had that quite badly before starting any medication.  I still feel I'm getting better every day, so I hope to be back at band next week.

The only problem now is the itchiness caused by the carbimazole, I'm scratching like a monkey at the moment, and that's not a good look for anyone.  Image
ttf_eightyeightH

Thyroid problem

Antihistamines (eg cetirizine 10mg daily) should help with the itch. I'll sometimes use higher doses, and if all else fails, hydroxyzine - but that is generally too sedating for daytime use.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Thyroid problem

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I had a cat who developed an overactive thyroid when he was 12 years old.  After doing the medication for a while we had the radioactive iodine treatment which brought his levels to absolutely normal.

Do they do that for people?

ttf_robcat2075

Thyroid problem

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Jun 16, 2017, 07:18AMI had a cat who developed an overactive thyroid when he was 12 years old.  After doing the medication for a while we had the radioactive iodine treatment which brought his levels to absolutely normal.

I recall they did that with George H.W. Bush and wife his Barbara who somehow both came down with "Graves Disease" nearly simultaneously.  Seems like the radiation is used mainly on the elderly and/or after others treatments fail.
ttf_eightyeightH

Thyroid problem

Radioiodine treatment is used in humans, yes
ttf_Roebird37

Thyroid problem

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Quote from: Doug Elliott on Jun 16, 2017, 07:18AMI had a cat who developed an overactive thyroid when he was 12 years old.  After doing the medication for a while we had the radioactive iodine treatment which brought his levels to absolutely normal.

Yes, it seems that could be an option later on, depending on how things go.  It's possible it might just settle down again by itself in due course and the pills can be stopped.  This is what I'm hoping for, as the idea of radioactive iodine gives me the heebiejeebies.
ttf_Roebird37

Thyroid problem

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Quote from: eightyeightH on Jun 16, 2017, 06:17AMAntihistamines (eg cetirizine 10mg daily) should help with the itch. I'll sometimes use higher doses, and if all else fails, hydroxyzine - but that is generally too sedating for daytime use.

Thanks, I'll go and get some this afternoon, it's not too bad during the day but evenings and bedtime it's absolutely maddening!
ttf_Pancitcooker

Thyroid problem

Post by ttf_Pancitcooker »

Three years ago I started to feel weak and had this dull pain in my stomach. In the span of 2 weeks, I lost 20 pounds and figured I should probably go to the doctor. I found out I had hyperthyroidism (due to Graves disease). My hands were shaky.. I couldn't play my trombone let alone write my name on a piece of paper. After some medication for about a month or so, I went the other direction into hypothyroidism. I was going into my 4th year of college in music education and couldn't play or hold my trombone up and was in a panic as the school year was about to start. My lips and strength started to come back a month and half into the school year while taking medicine.

After a year of getting my levels messed around with, I was finally at a good level to get radioactive iodine to kill off my thyroid. (very common practice for those with thyroid problems even at a young age) The radioactive iodine bad at all. I had to be in my apartment alone for a week.. so I stocked up on food and watched tv and read for the week. I am now on a daily dosage of a synthetic thyroid pill I take first thing in the morning and I feel normal. My heart rate is consistent around 60-70 resting as opposed to 100-120 when I was first taking medicine for the first year.

Each person is different and for some the thyroid will go back to normal. In my case, however, it was either surgery or radioactive iodine… and I have never had surgery in my life so I opted for the cooler sounding operation (taking two big pills of radioactive iodine).

Experiencing hyperthyroidism is a scary thing, but it is completely manageable. My advice is get all of your levels checked with an endocrinologist. Don't wait until it gets super bad.. I should've known that losing 1-2 pounds a day was kind of odd. 
ttf_Roebird37

Thyroid problem

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, that's useful to know, and good to hear that you now feel back to normal.

I have been on the anti-thyroid medication for around 5 weeks now, and I feel perfectly normal at the moment.  My GP referred me to the endocrinologist, and my appointment is on Monday.  I assume they will tinker with my medication levels and try to keep me on an even keel.

I went back to band just over a week ago, my lips have less stamina (obviously) and things get a bit wobbly, but I'm managing OK.  I have a little band job this evening (just easy background music) and two bigger concerts next weekend.  I'm feeling fit for all of it, if a little rusty, but just in the nick of time!
ttf_Roebird37

Thyroid problem

Post by ttf_Roebird37 »

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, that's useful to know, and good to hear that you now feel back to normal.

I have been on the anti-thyroid medication for around 5 weeks now, and I feel perfectly normal at the moment.  My GP referred me to the endocrinologist, and my appointment is on Monday.  I assume they will tinker with my medication levels and try to keep me on an even keel.

I went back to band just over a week ago, my lips have less stamina (obviously) and things get a bit wobbly, but I'm managing OK.  I have a little band job this evening (just easy background music) and two bigger concerts next weekend.  I'm feeling fit for all of it, if a little rusty, but just in the nick of time!

Return to “The Healthy Trombonsit”