Trombone Audition - US Navy Band, Wahington DC

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

The United States Navy Band is holding auditions for the position of Tenor Trombone in the Concert/Ceremonial Band. Starting salary is $58,960-$65,656 plus benefits. Materials are due October 14, 2016, and auditions will be held November 4, 2016.

Located in Washington DC, The US Navy Band is the Navy's premier musical ensemble. For more information, visit www.navyband.navy.mil or email [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url].
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

If they were looking for 55 year old guys with a beer guy, I would be all over this.
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Can you live in DC on 65k/yr?
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

I happened to visit the web site of the USAF Band of the West (or was it Golden West?...) and saw that they are looking for a bone player too.  Materials due on Monday.  Audition in October.

ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Quote from: Ellrod on Aug 18, 2016, 09:51PMCan you live in DC on 65k/yr?

When I was in the military they had allowances for placed with high cost of living. And don't forget that you get 100% free health care, which is worth a lot these days.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: Ellrod on Aug 18, 2016, 09:51PMCan you live in DC on 65k/yr?

BAH (Basic allowance for housing) is $2667 per month. 
ttf_Dan Hine

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Quote from: timothy42b on Aug 19, 2016, 07:18AMBAH (Basic allowance for housing) is $2667 per month. 

BAH is likely included in the salaries listed.  Base pay for a new E6 is "only" about $2400/month.  Some areas get a Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) but D.C. does not seem to be one of those areas.  Most people I know who are in the D.C. bands live in VA or MD and commute.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Don't forget that:

Health care is free for the service member and their immediate family

A $400,000 life insurance policy for the service member is only $27 a month, and $100,000 policies for each family member are offered for $10 a month.

DC may cost a lot but groceries at the Commissary and shopping at the NEX does not. You are spending 20-30% less than off post if you know how to shop.

You get thousands per year to use on college courses.

You earn the GI Bill, which can be given to a dependant and is worth an incredible amount of money, basically a degree and room and board.

As a musician in a DC band, you no longer have to worry about buying mouthpieces, maintenance, or instruments. You can get the Shires or Edwards you want, though the unit keeps it.

You are making 65,000 a year but cost of living goes WAY down.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Not to mention retirement in 20 years. If a young person gets in and does that amount of time, they can do the latter half of their career while retired.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: Matt K on Oct 15, 2016, 11:54AMNot to mention retirement in 20 years. If a young person gets in and does that amount of time, they can do the latter half of their career while retired.

The old rules were 50% pay at 20 years, 75% at 30, 100% at 40.  But you do have to meet some requirements to be allowed to stay in that long. 

The new rules change that, the percentage is lower but there is something like a 401K. 
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Currently you start at 50% of the three highest years of base pay averaged, and add 2.5% of that same calculated pay per year beyond 20 years.

Enlistedservice members can't serve long enough to reach 40 years, and the advertised job is enlisted -- not officer.

Very soon the retirement will be blended and new service members will get a much smaller percentage at 59 years old, with some sort of matching into the TSP/401K.

I am no expert on these changes.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Oct 17, 2016, 05:11AM

Very soon the retirement will be blended and new service members will get a much smaller percentage at 59 years old, with some sort of matching into the TSP/401K.

I am no expert on these changes.

The blended system sounds like a good idea to me.  You do have to have the discipline to pay into the system.  But you also get something back if you leave before retirement, which was not true in the past. 

I have a friend who went in enlisted, reclassed as warrant, and reclassed as officer.  She might make that 40. 

Have you seen the new Army PT test for reclassing an MOS?  Pretty interesting. 
ttf_harrison.t.reed

I haven't seen a new PT test yet. Since I joined up they've kicked around many new PT test ideas, and even pilot tested a few at basic trainings in years past. I have also heard of a new PT test geared towards potential recruits before they enlist. None of these have hit the Army as a whole.

The problem with the new tests has usually come down to it being too difficult to score. The current test has a lot of problems, but it still is a good gague of overall fitness (for males at least) and it is easy to grade.You need to be fit to do 77 pushups in 2 minutes, 82 situps in 2 minutes, and run 2 miles in 13 minutes at age 29.
ttf_TromboneMonkey

Post by ttf_TromboneMonkey »

Most of the musicians I know don't live in DC, they live in Bowie or another burb and commute in.  My wife and I live nearby comfortably on a similar salary. 

Regardless, the job is a dream job and I'd do it for less without complaining.  Including the benefits it's one hell of a sweet deal. 
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Oct 17, 2016, 06:49AMI haven't seen a new PT test yet. Since I joined up they've kicked around many new PT test ideas, and even pilot tested a few at basic trainings in years past. I have also heard of a new PT test geared towards potential recruits before they enlist. None of these have hit the Army as a whole.

There are three different theories on how to design a PT test.  General health, prediction of success, and task specificity.  The idea behind the MOS-T test is task specificity, which is very different from the idea behind the standard PT test.  There are four elements to the new reclass test:  dead lift, seated medicine ball throw, broad jump, shuttle run.  They're easy to score and don't need a lot of space or equipment.  Different MOS's require different scores. 
ttf_harrison.t.reed

If only lip trills was an MOS specific event ...
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Oct 17, 2016, 07:42AMIf only lip trills was an MOS specific event ...

In the band music I play, I have seen one lip trill in my entire life.  (At last week's community band rehearsal, playing Scenes at the Louvre.) 

I was so shocked I didn't have time to mess it up.  That'll probably never happen again. 
ttf_djdekok

Post by ttf_djdekok »

Sweet deal all around, y'all. Good luck!
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Congratulations to the winner.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Thanks, Doug!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Thanks, Doug!