Symphony Ticket Prices

ttf_MikeBMiller

Symphony Ticket Prices

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

So I was thinking about going to Atlanta the 1st weekend of December to see Christopher Bill and maybe make a weekend out of it. So I looked up the ASO web site to see what they were doing that weekend. It turns out that they are doing the live soundtrack thing to the first Harry Potter movie. And the cheapest ticket is $79. Holy cow. That's a lot of money to essentially watch a movie, albeit with a really excellent soundtrack. They are playing Mahler 7 next weekend and tickets for that start at $32. What gives with the HP thing? Does it cost that much to get the rights to do that music?
ttf_Matt K

Symphony Ticket Prices

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Also popularity I'm sure. I've never traveled to NYC to the the NYP, but I did travel to see the Lord of the Rings trilogy done with a live orchestra. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  Best performance I've seen ever. There are a lot of serious Harry Potter fans, and that is as good as it gets for seeing it.  For better or for worse, there aren't as many Mahler fans.
ttf_robcat2075

Symphony Ticket Prices

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

The price is what the market will bear.

Tickets for "Raiders of the Lost Ark" at the Dallas Symphony last week were similarly high but I got one online for $29, that I presume was discounted because it was a single orphan seat with no other open seats next to it.

I didn't enjoy the event and won't try one again in the future because the dialog track was mostly unintelligible in the concert hall acoustics but maybe your hall has that better worked out.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Symphony Ticket Prices

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

These soundtrack gigs must be a big money maker for orchestras as everyone seems to be doing them these days.
ttf_paulyg

Symphony Ticket Prices

Post by ttf_paulyg »

Think of how much those rental parts cost on top of licensing the film, with the soundtrack removed!

Last I heard Disney (or some other movie house) actually sent 'quality control' representatives to rehearsal, in order to make sure that the performances were up to 'standards.'

But hey, a lot of people are introduced to classical music through movie scores first, and it's a great experience for all involved, especially the audience. I just played Star Wars for about 500 5th graders over two concerts, and they were the most enthusiastic audience I've ever played for.
ttf_paulyg

Symphony Ticket Prices

Post by ttf_paulyg »

Think of how much those rental parts cost on top of licensing the film, with the soundtrack removed!

Last I heard Disney (or some other movie house) actually sent 'quality control' representatives to rehearsal, in order to make sure that the performances were up to 'standards.'

But hey, a lot of people are introduced to classical music through movie scores first, and it's a great experience for all involved, especially the audience. I just played Star Wars for about 500 5th graders over two concerts, and they were the most enthusiastic audience I've ever played for.

Return to “The Business of Music”