Local music store blew me away!

ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

On another thread I covered my search for a better bucket mute than my old Humes and Berg Stonelined.  I found several on line but hate to buy something like that without trying it.  I went to my local family owned music store, Royalton Music, to see what they had and found a Jo-Ral.  I balked at the price tag of "$150 msrp, our price $104" and the guy behind the counter looked up my phone number, found I was a customer, and offered $75 out the door including tax.  I checked on line and the big internet sellers wanted $85!  That a local store would deal like that with customers really impressed me.  I encourage all players to give their local store a shot at your business vs. always bypassing them and going to the internet.   
ttf_FlamingRain

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

I agree with you to always support local businesses first, but there are a lack of serious music stores in the state of Washington. The only real big stores we have are Ted Brown or Kennelly Keys, which are great but are chains and are mostly public school oriented. The few local music stores that exist barely have anything worthwhile in them that would be useful to me, which is why I generally order online.
ttf_RMTrombone

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

After two music stores in our region went out of business, I try buy what I can from local stores.
I had to order Yamaha Slide Lubricant (yamasnot). Now they carry it, and it's cheaper than Amazon, and with no shipping.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: gregs70 on Sep 06, 2017, 08:04PMI encourage all players to give their local store a shot at your business vs. always bypassing them and going to the internet.   
Ehhh that still depends. I refuse to let other people go to our local music store because it is so horrid. They have bad service, lack of basic knowledge when it comes to musical instruments and most of the stuff they sell is junk.

On the other hand I always recommend in spades people take the extra 30 minutes to drive out to Horn Guys and the Brass Ark!
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Do you have some sort of picket line or blockade set up outside that music store?
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

I can't even get my local store to stock Yamasnot.

Let's face it, if most local stores had to depend on selling trombones they would be out of business in a week. But every kid out there thinks he is going to be a rock star, so guitars and drums are where the money is made. I don't blame them for stocking what sells.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

I have a sure-fire formula for having a million dollars. First, I buy an obscure local mom & pop music store for a two million dollars net worth. I do no advertising and no repairs but I am open 'round the clock, fully staffed. I show customers my stuff; let them demo it and if they like it, I tell them where they can get the exact same thing much cheaper off the Internet. When I am down to one million dollars net worth, I retire. Easy-peasy.

In reality, I go to a music store for my instructional sessions. When I am there, I try desperately to buy something; anything - as long as I can use it.

...The Entrepreneurial Geezer
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Yesterday at 05:05 AMDo you have some sort of picket line or blockade set up outside that music store?
Haha practically Image
ttf_Stretch Longarm

Post by ttf_Stretch Longarm »

Quote from: FlamingRain on Sep 06, 2017, 08:53PMI agree with you to always support local businesses first, but there are a lack of serious music stores in the state of Washington. The only real big stores we have are Ted Brown or Kennelly Keys, which are great but are chains and are mostly public school oriented. The few local music stores that exist barely have anything worthwhile in them that would be useful to me, which is why I generally order online.

Down in Vancouver WA, Beacock Music is a school-oriented store, but they also treat musicians well, and stock a lot of accessories. They too will at least match prices if not beat them. Great store, with strings, brass, guitar, bass, drum, electronics/amp depts. Decent repair shop too. And nice staff.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

I use local stores for the stuff they carry. Unfortunately they don't carry much anymore. Most instruments you would want to buy as a brass player would have to be ordered in.  Most music stores these days bread and butter is Guitars, amps, sound reinforcement equipment, etc.  Very few other than stocking a few beginners lesson books carry much in the way of sheet music.  So other than the occasional valve oil, slide cream, music stands, etc.  there isn't a lot you can actually get at the local music store.  When it comes to band instruments many of them (there are exceptions) don't have any clue about what they are selling, so there is really no reason to order a Trombone through a store and pay more for it, if they can't support it after the sale.  I understand the cost of a store doing business these days, and they really can't afford to keep huge inventories of instruments that won't sell, but in most cases they just become a middleman and add extra cost to the more expensive items.  I don't think I could go to any of our local music stores and find a bass trombone Mute of any type in stock to try.  Most also only stock common student mouthpiece sizes.  I play several instruments besides Brass (keyboards, guitar, and Bass guitar) and use local stores for most of those needs.  So I use a combined approach, if they stock, or can support it after the sale I'll buy it through the local store, If I have to order don't expect to need after sales support I will buy it on-line.

ttf_Steven

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: Radar on Sep 08, 2017, 06:36AM  So I use a combined approach, if they stock, or can support it after the sale I'll buy it through the local store, If I have to order don't expect to need after sales support I will buy it on-line.

You also have a middle option.  Hickey's is, what, 90 minutes away?  If I need to try mouthpieces, I know the locals aren't going to have many choices, but mail order can be an awkward way to buy a mouthpiece.  I've never regretted a road trip to Ithaca. 

Local music stores near where I work, live and play have taken good care of me when I've needed repairs, so I do need to support them as best I can.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Quote from: Steven on Yesterday at 04:38 PMYou also have a middle option.  Hickey's is, what, 90 minutes away?  If I need to try mouthpieces, I know the locals aren't going to have many choices, but mail order can be an awkward way to buy a mouthpiece.  I've never regretted a road trip to Ithaca. 

Local music stores near where I work, live and play have taken good care of me when I've needed repairs, so I do need to support them as best I can.
Good suggestion, I don't get to Ithaca very often but I'll have to give Hickey's a visit next time I head that way, I am in need of a Bass trombone case for a 10" bell think they have them in stock?

ttf_Steven

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: Radar on Sep 09, 2017, 04:52PMGood suggestion, I don't get to Ithaca very often but I'll have to give Hickey's a visit next time I head that way, I am in need of a Bass trombone case for a 10" bell think they have them in stock?

They have plenty of bass cases.  Do they have one you want?  I don't know.  http://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/trombone/accessories/cases/all_bass_trombone_cases_and_bags.php
ttf_Steven

Post by ttf_Steven »

Quote from: Radar on Sep 09, 2017, 04:52PMGood suggestion, I don't get to Ithaca very often but I'll have to give Hickey's a visit next time I head that way, I am in need of a Bass trombone case for a 10" bell think they have them in stock?

They have plenty of bass cases.  Do they have one you want?  I don't know.  http://www.hickeys.com/music/brass/trombone/accessories/cases/all_bass_trombone_cases_and_bags.php

Return to “The Business of Music”