Where should I publish my work for trombone & orchestra?

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm almost finished to compose a concert piece for trombone and orchestra. Advise please where should I publish it? The best opportunities. I will be grateful if you advise how to promote this work also. Thank you in advance!
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Post by ttf_Andrew Meronek »

In a concert hall. Publishers generally don't bother with stuff by emerging composers, no matter how gifted.
ttf_Woolworth

Post by ttf_Woolworth »

Hire an orchestra, line up a performance, make a recording, and self-publish for sale or rental.  If your music is appealing and playable, sales will come in. 

This is a "niche" market that publishers won't touch, because there's just no money in it for them. An orchestral piece requires a substantial investment and risk.   If you produce a solo with piano reduction, chances are better a publisher will look at it.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Publish it yourself. Have you seen the Edition Tarrodi publications? Straight inkjet jobs.

As the publisher, send out your score, the solo part, and midi (even better if the virtual instruments are high quality) with and without the solo part to trombonists who might want to perform it.

If no one wants to play it, set your sights lower and try less prominent unknown trombonists.
ttf_amichael

Post by ttf_amichael »

Self-publishing does seem like a good idea.  I have one other suggestion, which is to contact Gordon Cherry.  He does publish a lot of trombone music and may have advice, whether or not he has interest in the piece.

Finally, I would suggest making sure you are clear on your goals.  Are you trying to get the piece played (in which case, put it online for free) or make some money?  If it's the latter, publish it as a piece for cello and orchestra and whisper to trombonists that it lays pretty well on our horns.

No matter what path you choose, good luck. It's great to have people writing for trombone.
ttf_fsung

Post by ttf_fsung »

If you don't want the administrative hassles associated self-publishing, take a look at Sheet Music Plus' "publishing" arm, SMPress.
ttf_stephenkerry

Post by ttf_stephenkerry »

Might be worth looking a the blog of a composer who thought that in the end the publishers took too much of the cake - John Mackey
http://ostimusic.com/blog/music-publishing/
also another composer (of mainly band music) told me he self published some of his work - Although it sells in far fewer numbers he makes more than those through established publishers.

ttf_stephenkerry

Post by ttf_stephenkerry »

Might be worth looking a the blog of a composer who thought that in the end the publishers took too much of the cake - John Mackey
http://ostimusic.com/blog/music-publishing/
also another composer (of mainly band music) told me he self published some of his work - Although it sells in far fewer numbers he makes more than those through established publishers.

Return to “The Business of Music”