What is a realistic salary for a professional trombonist?

ttf_trb420

Post by ttf_trb420 »

I would like to get a degree in trombone performance, but the only thing holding me back is the fact that I could potentially make a lot more money with a more conventional job. Although I'd much rather be a musician, I don't necessarily fall into the "can't see myself doing any other job" category, but I can definitely see myself getting a "regular job," making a good salary, but hating it. So, I guess I'm just looking for advice from those who've gone through with music, and their experiences and suggestions. Thanks!
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

It varies radically... I mean it's hugely dependent on what kind of playing you want to do for a living, orchestra, freelance, chamber music, commercial...

It also varies radically depending on what country you do it in. At the time you are ready to start competing for jobs, you may find the only positions open to you are in other countries than your own that you may have never heard of. There are orchestra jobs in countries like China and Mexico which pay 2 or 3 three times more than what an average worker living in that city would earn, but the money still doesn't covert to a large amount of USD. You would live like a king in that city, but probably not make much to move on or take back home to your own country with you if thats what you wanted.

Maybe come up with a few professional scenarios in particular countries you could see yourself playing in? Then im sure plenty of people here will have helpful suggestions.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

I'm not a professional trombonist but the ones I have known personally typically seem to be in desperate finances.

Living with 4 roomates. Cell phone about to be cut off. Can't afford to see doctor. Yeesh.

I think you need to be a 1 percenter to have a decent living at it. Symphony jobs are exceedingly rare things.

Do something else you find interesting. There really is no such thing as a "conventional job".  If the job pays decent money it's going to have lots of challenges.

My experience is that job enjoyment is more about the people you work with than the actual tasks.

ttf_Dixieland57

Post by ttf_Dixieland57 »

People who did trombone playing a living, do that because it's the only thing they would do, like me, but believe me if I have found interest in pursue a career to be a doctor or physician, I wouldn't make music as a career...
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

QuoteI don't necessarily fall into the "can't see myself doing any other job" category, but I can definitely see myself getting a "regular job," making a good salary, but hating it. So, I guess I'm just looking for advice from those who've gone through with music, and their experiences and suggestions. Thanks!
When someone says they "can't see themselves doing any other job" it typically means that they would hate to do other jobs not that they literally could not force themselves to do another job. That said, what about a 'regular job' do you think you'd hate?  If you get a MIS, CS, or similar tech degree upon graduation you will likely find a job with flex time, at least partial work-from-home privilege, and a salary high enough to not have much of a commute if you so desire along with hours that basically don't require you to work when you'd rather be sleeping.  Granted, they are sometimes high pressure and mentally challenging jobs, but then again so is being a musician!
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

The recent Vancouver SO  principal and bass trb positions paid about $55k to $65k per season. Convert to USD by multiplying by .75. Second trb should be coming up soon.
ttf_trb420

Post by ttf_trb420 »

Quote from: Matt K on Jul 02, 2017, 12:08PMWhen someone says they "can't see themselves doing any other job" it typically means that they would hate to do other jobs not that they literally could not force themselves to do another job. That said, what about a 'regular job' do you think you'd hate?  If you get a MIS, CS, or similar tech degree upon graduation you will likely find a job with flex time, at least partial work-from-home privilege, and a salary high enough to not have much of a commute if you so desire along with hours that basically don't require you to work when you'd rather be sleeping.  Granted, they are sometimes high pressure and mentally challenging jobs, but then again so is being a musician!

I guess I'd hate to just work at a desk my whole life doing something I have nominal interest in, because even if you make more money, is it worth it if you don't like what you do?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: trb420 on Jul 02, 2017, 02:00PMI guess I'd hate to just work at a desk my whole life doing something I have nominal interest in, because even if you make more money, is it worth it if you don't like what you do?

Yes, if it gives me enough free time to go play with amateur groups and enjoy myself.  Lots more fun than sitting in a bar getting drunk (which is the preoccupation for some).

Of course no amount of music can compensate for a "day job" I abhor. Image

When I was just coming up there were a lot more opportunities to play for pay.  Television studios had one or more bands on contract.  Live bands were more popular at Weddings and Bar Mitzvahs than DJ's.  Now the number of "workaday" music jobs is near zero; it's a gig economy and you have to scramble to make a living.  It is a sad story, but that's what it is.
ttf_Trombocholik

Post by ttf_Trombocholik »

Quote from: trb420 on Jun 30, 2017, 08:36PMI would like to get a degree in trombone performance, but the only thing holding me back is the fact that I could potentially make a lot more money with a more conventional job. Although I'd much rather be a musician, I don't necessarily fall into the "can't see myself doing any other job" category, but I can definitely see myself getting a "regular job," making a good salary, but hating it. So, I guess I'm just looking for advice from those who've gone through with music, and their experiences and suggestions. Thanks!

Quote from: trb420 on Jul 02, 2017, 02:00PMI guess I'd hate to just work at a desk my whole life doing something I have nominal interest in, because even if you make more money, is it worth it if you don't like what you do?

If you will play like Alessi or Lindberg or even better, you will never become a millionaire. But you will be respected by trombonists.
This requires talent. If you do not have talent, then you will play badly, you will not be respected by trombonists and you will hate the trombone.

ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Usually.
ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

You realize there are options other than being a trombonist that don't involve sitting a desk all day, right?
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Plumbing comes to mind
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

The "desk job" is probably not well understood by people who have not had one or not had significant jobs at all. Most of what they know is what they've seen in movies or TV shows written by people who have no clue about desk (or any other) jobs either.

I had a "desk job".  It was great. I did computer graphics and animation.  The projects were challenging and the people were (usually) fun to work with. I was glad to be off the crummy temp job circuit and glad to be making more money that I could spend and glad to have a stable schedule after years the other way.

However there are many Good and interesting jobs that aren't desk jobs.

If your world view is that it's all just a binary choice of "trombone" or "desk job", then I think more career research is in order.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Quote from: Trombocholik on Jul 02, 2017, 02:32PMIf you will play like Alessi or Lindberg or even better, you will never become a millionaire. But you will be respected by trombonists.
This requires talent. If you do not have talent, then you will play badly, you will not be respected by trombonists and you will hate the trombone.

Prettty sure both of those guys actually are millionaires. Not hard to become one if you are making 150K + per year, which they are. Probably more.
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jul 02, 2017, 04:42PMPlumbing comes to mind

Electrician. Dry, no poop.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

My guess would be that the best payed trombonist in the USA would be Jimmy Pankow of Chicago. He is probably retiring in a few more years. Maybe that job will come open.

Many professional players have to scratch out a living playing in multiple regional orchestras, doing some pit shows, and teaching lessons. There is nothing wrong with that, but it can be a challenge to make sure you have enough money coming in all the time.

I am friends with a guy who was doing that for years and finally gave it all up to join the military - not a military band, but the actual military. He has done quite well for himself there, going to OCS and making Captain in a few years. He finally gave up his orchestra job last fall.

On the low end of the bell curve, I make maybe $2-3K a year playing, but I don't claim to be a real professional player.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Ellrod on Jul 02, 2017, 05:46PMElectrician. Dry, no poop.

Yeah, but you can get zapped pretty good Image
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

I am lucky in the sense that I get both. I work in a hospital doing data analysis. The job isn't easy, but it is easy to be be interested in something that is helping people and simultaneously pays the bills. Lots of jobs out there like mine if you can get through a tech degree.

I also don't sit behind a desk all the time. Lots of time is spent engaging other people, talking,gathering information etc. By the time Friday rolls around, I can hardly believe it's time to go home for two days. Which isn't to say it's fun, but it also is anything but boring.

Trades are also really good nowaday. Plumbing, electrician, hvac all make a really nice rate. And that stuff is hard to automate! At least for now.

In academic fields, there are more outdoorsy endeavors like geology. My father is a geologist  for the government. He started out doing field work because he didn't want to sit behind a desk all day either. But as he's gotten older he's quite happy to be inside, behind a desk all day!
ttf_RJMason

Post by ttf_RJMason »

I'm 27 and a professional trombonist.  I haven't had a day job for almost five years and I live in NYC. I'd say most guys in the low end without a day job in NYC make 30-35K hustling really hard...more experienced guys can play in wedding bands corporate things, gets to about $45-50K. At that point if you win an orchestral gig you'll start out between 50-60K trial year then it goes up. In NYC, that is much higher and if you get a Broadway show and Don't often sub out can make upwards of $150K. These numbers would probably be similar or lower depending on which city or state...maybe where your cost of living is also lower. Otherwise freelance touring with cool bands can get your money way higher. Don't expect to play any music you were taught in college to make a living. I also advise getting into electronic music-- I get flown out to play Coachella with a DJ and make more than tens times the Mingus band gig pay.
ttf_bonesmarsh

Post by ttf_bonesmarsh »

A few years ago, after noting that my recent AF of M union paper no longer listed salaries paid for trombone positions, I looked into the career of professional rodeo clown.

There are far far more positions available for professional rodeo clown than professional trombonist. And the pay is far higher.

Keep the tux pants, buy larger shoes, learn how to run a sprint, and throw away your horn, your bank account will thank you.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

First, the wet blanket: Not that many professional trombone players have a salary. They have an income, but it's earned from a mix of pay-per-service gigs, private lessons, maybe an adjunct faculty job or two, and who knows what else. There are very few salaried positions out there.

OTOH...

There are military bands where, depending on the service and what level you're talking about (fleet/post band vs. premiere band), your primary job is being a musician. Not for everyone, but it is an option, and some people do make a career of it.

Another option is cruise ship gigs. Once again, not for everyone, but it is a full-time gig with a salary.
ttf_Trombocholik

If you hate a desk, it's better to become a dentist or lawyer and play trombone in your spare time
ttf_EdGrissom

Post by ttf_EdGrissom »

I have spent the last 36 years cobbling together a comfortable living by teaching school, playing trombone/keyboards/bass, doing church music, and working in a music store.  I play my horn almost every day in some way.  I would have loved to only play trombone when I was younger but now that I'm pushing 60 years of age, I'm glad I have a pension. 
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

I'm about to find out. I just formed my first group, The T-boner Quintet. Here is a clip of our first outdoor concert:

Live: The T-boner Quintet

On bass is my cousin Carl, on guitar is my other cousin Carl, on keyboards is my other cousin Carl, on drums is my cousin Carla and me, T-boner - on trombone.

I think we have a very bright future ahead of us; playing under bridges to entertain grifters, at back-yard midnight cat fights, building implosions, etc.

We'll start out playing for pizza, but then - who knows! Maybe parking garage concerts, vacant crack houses, etc. The possibilities are truly endless.

...Geezer
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

We had a good friend who was struggling with college and decided one day she would stay in bed until she'd decided between becoming a plumber or an electrician.

It took most of the day but she decided while plumbers had some messes, electricians got electrocuted.

She became a plumber and loves it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D11e424M_Q

The point about Mike is that a lot of loving your job is how you decide to approach it.

ttf_Woolworth

Post by ttf_Woolworth »

Quote from: timothy42b on Jul 03, 2017, 08:32AM ...a lot of loving your job is how you decide to approach it.

A good way to gauge how employees feel about their jobs is to observe their behavior on Friday afternoon!
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

A lot of job satisfaction involves doing a good job and taking satisfaction from that. Be proud of what you do.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Over the years I would guess most of my enjoyment as well as disgruntlement with various jobs was related to the people I worked with or for. 

We don't have much control over that; we have some control over our reaction to that if we choose to exercise it. 
ttf_FlamingRain

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

Mechanic. You get to play with things that can (potentially) go fast! I have some mechanic skills (no internal engine work) so I help out friends sometimes with that. I know a Doug Elliott used to restore Hondas to supplement his income back in the day. Good mechanics (ASE certified or otherwise) get paid decently well.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

This poor OP.....
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jul 03, 2017, 01:18PMThis poor OP.....

Well, the sad part of it is, if you want to be a professional trombone player, you will either have to join a Military Band (fewer and fewer chairs), win a Symphony audition at a top orchestra (even less opportunity than Military), become a Broadway or Film musician (very tough,and only two places to be), or get lucky enough to be hired by a television or radio studio (do they even keep trombone players on staff?).  Otherwise you are scrambling hither and yon to pick up bits and pieces to play.

Net result is that it's VERY tough to describe an average trombone player's salary.  I think Mason came as close as anybody to giving a real answer.
ttf_Trombocholik

The truth is that the "Golden Age" of the trombone is far behind and it will never return.
Miles Davis said that in the future musical instruments made of wood and metal will give way to electronic musical instruments made of plastic. We are watching this now.

It makes no sense to choose a dying profession (IMHO), although I love the trombone.
ttf_Dombat

Post by ttf_Dombat »

I ended up moving to Germany (from Australia) but live quite comfortably with my wife in a decent size appartment, a 3 week trip home every year and some savings. The pay is never anything we'll become rich off but it is fine.
I probably did 30 auditions before I started havibg success and did plenty of teaching and working in other industries but (at least in Germany), it is possible.
ttf_NYPhil

Post by ttf_NYPhil »

Quote I don't necessarily fall into the "can't see myself doing any other job" category...
These are not the words of someone passionate about being a musician. That attitude will lead to disappointment.
The only reason to go into music is because you are passionate about it.
Research other stuff. Find a passion. You are young.

btw, Passion is no guarantee of making a living in music, either.

A little googling can find some answers, also....
There are a few threads on the forum here about how some folks put together a living also.
ttf_Rockymountaintrombone

Post by ttf_Rockymountaintrombone »

This question can't be answered easily - salaries vary greatly in the music field. On the high end, players like Jimmy Pankow (Chicago) or Trombone Shorty have made rock and roll star money. There are young freelance players living below the poverty level. There are some sites online that give you some general guidelines on what kind of pay you can expect doing different jobs within the music industry, but they are very general. Major orchestras (say the top 20 N. American orchestras, by budget) have base pay rates from just below 6 figures up to about $150,000. Principal players in orchestras like that can negotiate a fee that is significantly over that. The smaller the orchestra is (budget-wise), the lower the base will be, and usually, the less the over-scale will be that a player can  negotiate.

Broadway shows pay well - like a mid-sized orchestra, with extra fees for doubling, overtime (especially long shows). The problem there is that shows close, and even busy players have periods where they are out of work.

Lots of players manage to make a decent living freelancing - both in classical and commercial fields. Again, you have to expect busy periods of work, followed by times that are as "dry as a desert". The upside is that every day is a bit different than the day before.

Plenty of musicians in all genres reach a point where they don't want to hustle for a living anymore, and make a career change. In some cases they keep playing some gigs on the side, while others decide to make a clean break from a music career. If they do the former, they have the chance to have an activity that they can do in their spare time that brings in some cash separate from their day job.

So, here's the thing - if music is your passion, and people who know what they are talking about say that you have strong potential to make it as a musician (not your relatives!), then you should examine your options to pursue it. Don't do it if you're on the fence. I have been lucky enough to have had a career as a musician for over 40 years - 36 of those as a principal trombonist in an orchestra. My last day job was in High School, and I've earned a salary that has enabled me to buy a house, and have (hopefully!) a fairly comfortable retirement in a few years. With the exception of the Rock stars that I mentioned at the beginning of this reply, nobody gets rich from playing the trombone but many players do make a living. It's also true that many more players will not get to a place where they can make a living from playing, and will either have to quit or make their playing into a hobby or sideline. My part-time job is as an instructor at the local university, and I've had students end up in all of those circumstances. I've yet to have any former student tell me that they regret giving music a try. The professional players love what they do, the part-timers like having music in their lives to break the monotony of a day job, and the ones who quit playing feel like they gave it their all, and had a great experience.

Good luck with making your decision!

Jim Scott
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Something that is rarely discussed is; even if a younger player is doing ok at the moment, how does he/she grow the business? Because if it isn't growing, it's shrinking against inflation rising prices and falling demand.
Also age. There's a natural sympathy to support young people coming through which evaporates with age. The pupils that you took so much care with, will be your main competitors, and lets face it, nobody wants to see a band of 60+ year olds playing "uptown funk" to a wedding crowd of 30 somethings..

ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Sometimes I have been playing music that I really love playing, no or little money.
Sometimes I have been playing music that gave me lots of money, sometimes I have been thinking.
I hate the music, I am just doing this for the money.

Sometimes as a teacher the student ask : Do you think I would have a future as a professiional trombonist?.
My answer is: Maybe if you practise much more then what you are doing now, work on getting the word around that you are a good trombonist, are prepared to live on very little money for some time.
If you are looking for a orchestra employment, there are hundreds of very good players looking for the same job.
Jazz? Money? Well....
Pop? Trombone? Well....

A realistic salary for a pro? Depends. Between 10 000$ to 90 000$ ?

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Pre59 on Jul 05, 2017, 01:23AMSomething that is rarely discussed is; even if a younger player is doing ok at the moment, how does he/she grow the business? Because if it isn't growing, it's shrinking against inflation rising prices and falling demand.
Also age. There's a natural sympathy to support young people coming through which evaporates with age. The pupils that you took so much care with, will be your main competitors, and lets face it, nobody wants to see a band of 60+ year olds playing "uptown funk" to a wedding crowd of 30 somethings..

Really? Apparently, the Beach Boys didn't get a memo similar to that!  Image

Hey, if it swings, it sings!  Image

...Geezer
ttf_LowrBrass

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Desk jobs aren't all "Office Space" and "Dilbert" (although there can be some of that, for sure, but not nearly as much as I feared when I first resigned myself to being a "cubicle slave"). Most desk jobs provide opportunities to be creative, and solve problems, and help people, and interact with awesome coworkers, and all these little "intangibles" that can make you feel happy and fulfilled.

Let's compare some worst-case scenarios:
(1) You have a desk job, a day job, that you hate. But it's stable, and it has fairly regular hours, and it pays enough that you can live comfortably. Because of that, you have the freedom to play trombone for fun, in lots of different ensembles, every day after work. And you're a good enough player that sometimes you can get semi-pro gigs. You can fulfill your musical passion and you don't have to worry where your next meal is coming from. (And it gives you something to look forward to at the end of the day, as you slog through your wretched desk job.)
(2) You play trombone for a living. When you can get work, you really do love it, but you can't ever seem to find enough work to pay the bills. Your passion for music is darkened by the constant anxiety in the back of your throat, as you wonder how the heck you're going to make rent this month.

My parents advised: Do something to make money, and then do what you love on the side. It's been working for me so far.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Jul 05, 2017, 05:22AM
Really? Apparently, the Beach Boys didn't get a memo similar to that!  Image

...Geezer

But they were the Beach Boys long ago and still are. A cynic might say that they're in the nostalgia business now..
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: Pre59 on Jul 05, 2017, 06:11AMBut they were the Beach Boys long ago and still are. A cynic might say that they're in the nostalgia business now..

I don't care the age, gender, orientation, etc of a player - as long as they sound good. And it doesn't follow to me that older people should only play older music while younger people get to play younger music. The arts - of all things - shouldn't work that way. A competent player should be paid whatever the market will bear - regardless of age, sex, etc.

...Geezer
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Quote from: LowrBrass on Jul 05, 2017, 05:57AM
Let's compare some worst-case scenarios:
(1) You have a desk job, a day job, that you hate. But it's stable,

Far from worst case then, innit? Worst case would be more like "you have a service industry job that you hate, it doesn't pay well or have enough hours available, and your coworkers are mostly losers with poor work ethic. After you get fired from this job, you realize how good you actually had it as you slowly sell your action figure collection online to pay for your internet connection (allowing you to continue eating ramen in your Dad's basement by selling the last of your action figures). When the internet finally dies and you find yourself living under a bridge with nothing but the bell section of your Conn Director to use as a a weapon to fend off the roving packs of wild, rabid chihuahuas and a bottle of Listerine mouthwash to help you fall into an uneasy sleep at night, you wonder where it all went wrong.

Sally had said that you should have been more serious about business or trade school, and she had always been urging you to keep up with her grades. How pretty she had been, looking back on it -- only 21, so full of life, her hopes and dreams as plain to see on her face as a white blouse hanging in the breeze on a clothesline. It had been ten years since she dumped you for getting C's and D's in Music Theory 4 and Trombone Studio, and the final 40 pounds of weight you had gained junior year. If only she could see how fit you were now -- ribs plain as day for all to see. And how could you have gotten better grades with only a Conn Director? At the collegiate level? The Shires had only lasted a day -- constructed with a thin red brass 11" bell, matching red brass slide, red end crook, red tuning slide, and solid sterling silver valve tubing and carbon fiber leadpipe, it had been a thing of beauty to behold. $7500 had been worth it. Why then, had your teacher stomped on it and crushed the bell with his bare hands during your weekly studio performance of Blue Bells of Scotland? Oh Sally, you think, where did it all go wrong?

You swirl a capful of Listerine around in your hand, as the drip drip drop of the first beads of rain form on the broken windshield lying next to your bamboo beach mat bed. Tomorrow will be another day."

Even that might not be worst case. That is a life lived!
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: Pre59 on Jul 05, 2017, 01:23AMand lets face it, nobody wants to see a band of 60+ year olds playing "uptown funk" to a wedding crowd of 30 somethings..

and unless they're doing a trophy wedding I think most people just hire a DJ these days
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: Pre59 on Jul 05, 2017, 01:23AM nobody wants to see a band of 60+ year olds playing "uptown funk" to a wedding crowd of 30 somethings..

My guess is nobody wants to see a band of 60+ year olds playing uptown funk to ANY crowd.

But I've done it more than once.  <cringe> 
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Quote from: timothy42b on Jul 05, 2017, 07:22AMMy guess is nobody wants to see a band of 60+ year olds playing uptown funk to ANY crowd.

But I've done it more than once.  <cringe> 

Play that funky music white-haired boy.
ttf_B0B

Post by ttf_B0B »

Quote from: trb420 on Jun 30, 2017, 08:36PMI would like to get a degree in trombone performance, but the only thing holding me back is the fact that I could potentially make a lot more money with a more conventional job. Although I'd much rather be a musician, I don't necessarily fall into the "can't see myself doing any other job" category, but I can definitely see myself getting a "regular job," making a good salary, but hating it. So, I guess I'm just looking for advice from those who've gone through with music, and their experiences and suggestions. Thanks!

I always thought I would hate a desk job. My first job was on a construction site. Got better pay than most of my peers, and learned great skills that continue to help me. In the evening, I played gigs with the local theater company. Money wasn't all that better than building houses, but hey, I was playing.

Then I got an internship with a local hospital in IT. Still played in the evening. It was a desk job... took a bit of adjustment from a physical job 8-10 hours a day to a non-physical... but it worked. Not as bad as I thought.

Started teaching music in public schools, gigging on the side... And so I gave up a career in music. Found a few things:

1) The instruction to "follow your passion" was a bunch of BS. If you are passionate, you are less willing to compromise or do things you think are not so good. And well, doing well but also learning to compromise is needed for an adult. I found it much better to do what I am good at and find interesting, but can still churn out crap on demand where needed.
2) Music is not what you do. Selling/marketing yourself, teaching, etc these are the business. Music is just the service you provide.
3) Good jobs are bound to certain places - ain't much gigging in small towns.
4) It's nice to play with great players... but I really want to play with solid players who are reliable... in their playing, in their commitments, in their people skills.

Young folks these days, well, they're fed fantasies and distortions of the job market. A job is what you do to get money and put food on the table. It's good to do something you enjoy, but the biggest thing is to find something you can do well and not dread coming into work. Do what you dream? Maybe for a bit when you're young... but long term, families and the stability they need become a bigger reality.

Is it play trombone or get a desk job? No.

Actually, trade jobs are rising in demand and will for some time and pay quite well. A plumber can work most anywhere, has a solid gig with steady work, and will make more than most professional musicians in the same area. Want to move a lot in your work? there are jobs that do that.

Want to build? create? design? there are jobs that do that too.

If you want to play trombone professionally, and are willing to go into a competitive low wage market where most of the work probably won't be challenging... ok. Do it. At least try.

But if you have no clue what the work force is, and just haven't ever had a real job that paid above minimum wage... and you know trombone... get out there. Take internships. Work over the summer. Try. Play. Experiment.
ttf_B0B

Post by ttf_B0B »

Quote from: LowrBrass on Jul 05, 2017, 05:57AM(2) You play trombone for a living. When you can get work, you really do love it, but you can't ever seem to find enough work to pay the bills. Your passion for music is darkened by the constant anxiety in the back of your throat, as you wonder how the heck you're going to make rent this month.Let's not forget the work that just pays the bills. The trombone book on sound of music? Zzzzzzzz. Church gigs around easter and christmas? Because playing hymn tunes with the congregation singing along are passion come to life? Teaching little Jimmy who only takes lessons because his parents tell him to, and you know he doesn't care or practice? The local symphony gig? Oh wait... that doesn't pay, or it does (peanuts) and is somehow highly competitive...
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

How 'bout this one:
You play trombone for a living. It's tough to find gigs, so you take whatever comes your way. Most of the time, it's not the music you want to play, and you still can't ever seem to find enough work to pay the bills. Your passion for music is darkened by the misery of playing music you hate and by the constant anxiety in the back of your throat, as you wonder how the heck you're going to make rent this month.

It's not that way for everyone. For some people, "the worst day playing trombone is still better than the best day doing something else". If you honestly believe that you are that kind of person, then you need to take your very best shot at being a professional trombonist, regardless of what any of us say.
ttf_Woolworth

Post by ttf_Woolworth »

Right out of college:

Job #1 - a bakery.  I needed something close, as my wife (at the time) was still a student.  Okay, I learned a lot about the workings of a bakery, got a lot of day-old donuts and NEVER tired of the smell.  I still gigged on weekends.  I worked there for 8 months, then a job opened up in my area and I went to work in...

Job #2 - Public school music ed, grades 5-12.  Hardest job I ever had.  I taught myself orchestration, arranging, and composition during this time, and wrote lots of music for my bands.  Gigged on weekends with the local big bands and a trombone ensemble.  I did this for 20 years and supplemented my income with...

Job #3 - a National Guard band.  This was what you imagine it would be.  1 weekend a month and two weeks in the summer.  You're a soldier first and a musician second, but you're a musician most of the time (does that make sense?) and you are payed for every note you play.  Played concerts and dances, marched parades and military ceremonies.  The Army supplied me with a few nice horns over the years, too...Bachs and Kings.  I also got my "Big Band Leader" chops here, as I directed the jazz band/dance band for 12 years, until the big band was phased out in favor of smaller, more portable show bands.  I wrote a ton of music (around 200 charts) for this band.  I did this for 26 years, and earned myself a tidy retirement, including health care.  Right after I retired, I took the dreaded desk job.  It was...

Job #4 - Criminal Investigator for a company that did pre-employment background checks.  I basically sat at a desk every day, in a nice air-conditioned office, phoning up county court houses and processing fingerprints.  It was the easiest job I ever had, it was also the best paying...and it was mind-numbingly boring.  It was during this time I started to have hearing issues, diagnosed with tinnitus and Meinier's Disease, and on doctor's orders, I stopped playing for about 4 years.  I finally found a different doctor who was willing to work with me, who prescribed some custom musician's earplugs and common sense.  I went back to playing and teaching lessons.  After 6 years at this job,  I went right into...

Job #5 - Full-time free-lancing.  This includes playing, teaching, conducting, and composing/arranging.  I have over 60 charts currently in publication and the royalties are nice.  Not great, but OK.  I'm earning enough to get by.

So at my age (pushing 60) every cent I earn is though music, in one aspect or another.  The important thing is, through all my "pay-the-bills" jobs I've been able to continue playing and earning.
ttf_hassein

Post by ttf_hassein »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Jul 05, 2017, 06:39AMFar from worst case then, innit? Worst case would be more like "you have a service industry job that you hate, it doesn't pay well or have enough hours available, and your coworkers are mostly losers with poor work ethic. After you get fired from this job, you realize how good you actually had it as you slowly sell your action figure collection online to pay for your internet connection (allowing you to continue eating ramen in your Dad's basement by selling the last of your action figures). When the internet finally dies and you find yourself living under a bridge with nothing but the bell section of your Conn Director to use as a a weapon to fend off the roving packs of wild, rabid chihuahuas and a bottle of Listerine mouthwash to help you fall into an uneasy sleep at night, you wonder where it all went wrong.

Sally had said that you should have been more serious about business or trade school, and she had always been urging you to keep up with her grades. How pretty she had been, looking back on it -- only 21, so full of life, her hopes and dreams as plain to see on her face as a white blouse hanging in the breeze on a clothesline. It had been ten years since she dumped you for getting C's and D's in Music Theory 4 and Trombone Studio, and the final 40 pounds of weight you had gained junior year. If only she could see how fit you were now -- ribs plain as day for all to see. And how could you have gotten better grades with only a Conn Director? At the collegiate level? The Shires had only lasted a day -- constructed with a thin red brass 11" bell, matching red brass slide, red end crook, red tuning slide, and solid sterling silver valve tubing and carbon fiber leadpipe, it had been a thing of beauty to behold. $7500 had been worth it. Why then, had your teacher stomped on it and crushed the bell with his bare hands during your weekly studio performance of Blue Bells of Scotland? Oh Sally, you think, where did it all go wrong?

You swirl a capful of Listerine around in your hand, as the drip drip drop of the first beads of rain form on the broken windshield lying next to your bamboo beach mat bed. Tomorrow will be another day."

Even that might not be worst case. That is a life lived!

Maybe read "Post Office" by Charles Bukowski-

Return to “The Business of Music”