Practicing by yourself vs. Being a go-getter

ttf_Johnston93

Post by ttf_Johnston93 »

Hi all,

I'm wondering if it's more beneficial to continue to value my alone time by practicing by myself to become a better trombonist, or reaching out through email, social media etc. to get my name out there/spread my name and reputation around. Thoughts/advice?
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

how are you going to develop a good reputation if you don't practice?
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Practicing (if done right) will make you better.  If nobody knows you, you will end up just practicing alone.  So, do both.  Practice so when you do make connections with others you have the skill to impress.
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

I assume from your profile that being in chicago civic would give you regular access to guys like Mulcahy wouldn't it? He would be great to have a conversation about this on.

Both are important, but depending on your personal situation one might possibly need more attention from you than the other.

I think rather than ask this question to thousands of strangers who wouldn't be able to give you as good info as the people you obviously have around you in Chicago, I think a better question for YOU to answer here is just "what prompted you to ask that?" Do you know someone getting high profile gigs only because of who they know? Are you unhappy with others not responding to the work you put in the practice room with gig offers? Some context would definitely help  Image
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Is it better to only eat food, or should I instead only drink water?
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

I was told a long time ago that Japanese martial artists would retreat into the mountains for fasting and training prior to a very important match or battle. Similarly, Polynesians - according to James Mitchener - would fast before the looooooooong sea trip to Hawaii.

Nah. Do both at the same time. What I like most - from a learning standpoint - about rehearsing and playing in groups, is that it is an "acid test" for what I think  I have learned through private study.

...Geezer
ttf_uncle duke

Post by ttf_uncle duke »

Two ways of thinking about it would be 1. it's not what you know but who you know and 2. you may have the best product in the world but if you don't let anyone know about it they won't call.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on May 23, 2017, 04:31AMIs it better to only eat food, or should I instead only drink water?

Was about to post something similar.

There are 24 hours in a day and you're statistically spending only 6-7 hours of that asleep.  I know you aren't practicing for 17 hours a day  Image
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on May 23, 2017, 04:31AMIs it better to only eat food, or should I instead only drink water?

Was about to post something similar.

There are 24 hours in a day and you're statistically spending only 6-7 hours of that asleep.  I know you aren't practicing for 17 hours a day  Image

Return to “The Business of Music”