Bari Sax cadenza...

ttf_robcat2075

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

From the BBC Proms... I guess this is a solo in a larger work.

https://www.facebook.com/400694376985022/videos/621636834890774/

I'm not previously familiar with the ensemble, "Too Many Zoos"?

ttf_MrPillow

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Been around the social media world for a few years now, I'm surprised they've been able to sell the same shtick for this long. How many songs of a guy dancing around and honking a Bari sax will the world tolerate Image
ttf_robcat2075

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Sorry! It's new to me!
ttf_Tbonedude

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_Tbonedude »

Leo P. used to do gigs with Lucky Chops, a NYC-based band. That's how I learned of him. He's quite an... interesting character, and one hell of a player.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Sounds like a monster player to me, with or without the dancing.  Maybe if more players knew how to play well AND entertain, the music business wouldn't be in the sad state it is.  I've always thought the downfall was when bands accepted the role of "background music" instead of being "the entertainment."  It was easy to go from "background" to "not there at all."
ttf_MrPillow

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Certainly a monster. I suppose it is still quite a lead to make the shift from Facebook-fame to real public acceptance, so even what may seem "old" on the millennial internet is fresh and new to a much larger audience.
ttf_Pre59

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

This is a clip from a recent BBC Prom concert featuring the music of Charles Mingus, with the Metropole Orkest from Holland. There was a LOT of showboating going on from the main soloists, to the point of embarrassment. I could feel the cold dead hand of a BBC department trying to make it more "inclusive"..
ttf_cozzagiorgi

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_cozzagiorgi »

Monster because he is playing loud?
Can't see a lot of other skills that qualify him as a monster player.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I've played with a lot of bari players who can play loud.   With bad sound, bad time, bad intonation, bad jazz. 

I've also played with some who are monsters but don't play loud.  With great sound, great time, great intonation, and great jazz ideas.

He sounds like he has all of that together.

"Showboating" is stupid when there's nothing to back it up.  With all the dancing and the orange hair, it may seem like a circus act, but it's a good circus act.
ttf_robcat2075

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

All the kids are going to want one!

For the previously unaware (which includes me) here is a 1959 incarnation of Moanin'

https://youtu.be/A3smUEzIqiI

Obviously a somewhat different treatment.
ttf_Exzaclee

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Quote from: cozzagiorgi on Sep 13, 2017, 07:59AMMonster because he is playing loud?
Can't see a lot of other skills that qualify him as a monster player.

I'd love to hear your bari playing if you're not into what he's doing. Plays with good time, good sound, in tune, and a really musical cat.

I've never met the guy but we have a lot of mutual friends. He's killin', and he's earned the respect of a lot of phenomenal players. Everybody who knows him says he's the sweetest guy you'll meet and he just wants to play. We need more guys like this guy. He brings a lot of joy - I think we've had way too much of that starched collar crap to last a lifetime.
ttf_Nanook

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_Nanook »

He's a Pittsburgh area kid, saw him with lucky chops...He can play and he's entertaining....I heard he landed a pretty big gig, I think with Beyoncé...
ttf_RJMason

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_RJMason »

While dudes like mr pillow cozzagiorgi can worry about "legit" or "commercial" playing Leo can continue to outplay anyone in all styles on Bari and Clarinet!! while expressing himself and playing on records with Beyoncé. Way more than schtick when you're making real money and actually entertaining people. Enjoy the practice room guys.
ttf_robcat2075

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Here is a cellphone video of "Lucky Chops", one of the ensembles he performs in.

Contains trombone action.

Lucky Chops - Funkytown/I Feel Good

(I'm not crazy about the trumpet)

Whatever happens, don't anybody tell me they all have degrees from Julliard and Curtis.
ttf_RJMason

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_RJMason »

Leo doesn't play in Chops anymore, just Too Many Zooz. They all went to Manhattan School of Music for jazz with scholarships and met there while a bunch of Lucky Chops met at LaGuardia School of the Arts in High school.
ttf_MrPillow

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

Quote from: RJMason on Sep 13, 2017, 07:27PMWhile dudes like mr pillow cozzagiorgi can worry about "legit" or "commercial" playing Leo can continue to outplay anyone in all styles on Bari and Clarinet!! while expressing himself and playing on records with Beyoncé. Way more than schtick when you're making real money and actually entertaining people. Enjoy the practice room guys.

Au contraire, I have no dog in the legit/commercial race, I am merely surprised that he has maintained success doing more or less the same routine for a number of years now. It was hot on Facebook for awhile, and pops up now and then again. Clearly he's sold it well and people enjoy it. For me, it reads like the same movie over and over with new subtitles stuck in.

And just so we're clear, I can almost guarantee I spend less time in the practice room than most anyone here  Image
ttf_robcat2075

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Quote from: MrPillow on Sep 13, 2017, 08:17PM... I am merely surprised that he has maintained success doing more or less the same routine for a number of years now.

As Orson Welles once said, "You only need one!"

ttf_Dan Hine

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_Dan Hine »

Quote from: MrPillow on Sep 13, 2017, 08:17PMI am merely surprised that he has maintained success doing more or less the same routine for a number of years now.

He's probably maintained success by doing things that are not on YouTube. 
ttf_stanzabone

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_stanzabone »

And when I saw the title of the thread, the first thing I thought of was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HTDU6sCnnY

One of the all-time classics. Bruce's solo starts at about 4:00, breakout at 4:55. I saw him perform it with Woody Herman's band at a Jazz Night at Disney world back in the 70's, sitting on the ground about 5 feet from him. Blew. My. Mind.
ttf_Pre59

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: stanzabone on Sep 14, 2017, 06:07AMAnd when I saw the title of the thread, the first thing I thought of was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HTDU6sCnnY

One of the all-time classics. Bruce's solo starts at about 4:00, breakout at 4:55. I saw him perform it with Woody Herman's band at a Jazz Night at Disney world back in the 70's, sitting on the ground about 5 feet from him. Blew. My. Mind.

Just found the original version here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC6ykRiQcvA

No Bari sax solo but better musically IMO.

ttf_Alex

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_Alex »

I hadnt seen or heard of Leo P before this concert.
I was impressed, and all the dancing and showmanship aside, he can play.
I have seen the entire concert twice and the band is great (Metropole Orchestra).
If you are able to find a way to view it from whatever country you are in, its worth watching just to see Bart van Lier. Incredible trombone playing.
ttf_Alex

Bari Sax cadenza...

Post by ttf_Alex »

I hadnt seen or heard of Leo P before this concert.
I was impressed, and all the dancing and showmanship aside, he can play.
I have seen the entire concert twice and the band is great (Metropole Orchestra).
If you are able to find a way to view it from whatever country you are in, its worth watching just to see Bart van Lier. Incredible trombone playing.

Return to “Other Musicians and Ensembles”