Doubling question of the day

ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

You play tenor and bass. More tenor than bass.

You get a call out of the blue. Bass gig.

Do you use your regular bass mpc even though it's been a while since you played bass or do you grab your tenor mpc (say, a 5G) because you're in shape on it. Or do you grab a 1 1/2G?
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Post by ttf_Andrew Meronek »

Same mouthpiece I always play on. Much better to match the mouthpiece to the horn than anything else, in my experience, regardless of how "fresh" I am on a horn.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: Ellrod on Sep 22, 2017, 02:59PMYou play tenor and bass. More tenor than bass.

You get a call out of the blue. Bass gig.

Do you use your regular bass mpc even though it's been a while since you played bass or do you grab your tenor mpc (say, a 5G) because you're in shape on it. Or do you grab a 1 1/2G?

It depends a lot on who you are. None of us can really answer it, only you. In an amateur setting, say yes. In a proffesional setting...you wouldnt even ask that question. If you feel you can do it, then do it. And do it on equipment you feel at home.

Leif

ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

I make sure I'm up on both. Use the mouthpiece that fits the horn. If this is something you intend to do a lot of, get a tenor mpc that is closer to the bass, specially the rim. For me the rim was the big barrier. Doug Elliott's system gave me a tenor mpc with a rim that is close enough to my bass size that I can switch easily. Getting the right bass bone is part of the trick. I have worked through several bass bones to find a horn that works for me for doubling. I have an Olds P-24G that plays like a tenor but sounds like a bass. I've got a bigger horn for times when I need that sound.
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

I also double, and play more tenor than bass.  (The more parts you can cover, the more you will get called to play!)  For large-bore tenor, I have drifted toward somewhat more open mouthpieces than I once did (long ago it was 6½AL, now something like a Schilke 51 or even a bit larger piece from Giddings & Webster). 

But when I pick up my bass, it's always with a true bass mouthpiece - just not a huge one, since those sort of spoil my tenor chops.  Think Schilke 58 or Bach 1½G (or, for big band, a "Geo Roberts").  It takes me only about 5-10 minutes of playing to re-acclimate to the larger equipment, and then I'm off and running. 

On small-bore tenor, I've found that 12C sizes are really too small for me; even for lead playing I prefer something along the lines of a Bach 6¾C (or a Giddings & Webster or Schilke in that size range).  As Hyperbolica says, I try to use the mouthpiece that fits the horn (as well as my face).  But, thank goodness, I do seem to be able to adapt to varying rim sizes better than some others do. 
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Use a small bass rim on tenor. Use the same rim on bass.
ttf_sterb225

Post by ttf_sterb225 »

I always play the mouthpiece that is right for the horn .... though if the bass has been in the box for too long I'd rather pass on a tougher bass gig than flub through it.  It takes more practice time than I have to keep both horns equally ready at all times.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

I play tenor and bass. These days more tenor than bass. And when I get called for a bass gig I just grab my usual bass mouthpiece.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Depends on what the rep is!

There is rep where I would use a "tenor-sized" mouthpiece anyway (I use a large 5G sized, very deep and open-throated mouthpiece).

But I would use that mouthpiece for that rep (or conversely, my larger "true" bass mouthpiece for rep where it's appropriate) no matter my current shape on bass. You need to either have the luxury/time to practice all your doubles regularly, or else develop the ability to find back your good shape very rapidly.
ttf_Le.Tromboniste

Post by ttf_Le.Tromboniste »

Depends on what the rep is!

There is rep where I would use a "tenor-sized" mouthpiece anyway (I use a large 5G sized, very deep and open-throated mouthpiece).

But I would use that mouthpiece for that rep (or conversely, my larger "true" bass mouthpiece for rep where it's appropriate) no matter my current shape on bass. You need to either have the luxury/time to practice all your doubles regularly, or else develop the ability to find back your good shape very rapidly.

Return to “Performance”