What is your Favorite orchestral piece to play?

ttf_Noahharry

Post by ttf_Noahharry »

I recently made it into my Youth orchestra and we are supposed to suggest repertoire for this upcoming season. So I was wondering what you as trombonist enjoy playing most in an orchestra.   The difficulty of piece shouldn't matter to a certain extent (No Berg Three Pieces, no pp High Eb's for me Image) since the orchestra is extremely advanced (Im still surprised how I made it).  So out of all of the orchestral lit what do you enjoy playing on most?
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Quote from: Noahharry on Aug 10, 2017, 08:27PMI recently made it into my Youth orchestra and we are supposed to suggest repertoire for this upcoming season. So I was wondering what you as trombonist enjoy playing most in an orchestra.   The difficulty of piece shouldn't matter to a certain extent (No Berg Three Pieces, no pp High Eb's for me Image) since the orchestra is extremely advanced (Im still surprised how I made it).  So out of all of the orchestral lit what do you enjoy playing on most?

There are so many good choices.... if I had to name only 1, there are 3 (I think?) Well known suites for orchestra from Prokofieves Romeo and Juliet. I played a program with a youth orchestra some time ago where they picked the best movements from each suite to perform together at a concert.

Actually I can't name only one, some of the most fun I had in youth orchestra a long time ago was playing (hoping the spelling is close) Messian's "Turangalila". It is only rarely played so if you you haven't heard it check it out. I would be suggesting that if I was in your shoes.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

What part are you playing?  Some pieces have great 1st parts, some have great 2nd parts, and some have great 3rd parts.

You can't go wrong with one of the last 3 Tchaikovsky symphonies (4, 5, and 6).  Also Dvorak 8 and 9.
ttf_hyperbolica

Post by ttf_hyperbolica »

My fav would probably be a Bruckner Symphony or Saint-Seans Organ symph. Or at the other end of the range, Copland, like Billy the Kid or Appalachian Spring.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

In the 4 dance episodes from Rodeo the Buckaroo Holiday has a nice 1st trombone solo, and Hoe Down has a 1st trombone solo and a great bass trombone part.
ttf_ronkny

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Copland Billy the Kid (full ballet), Khachaturian #2, Bruckner 7 and 8, Mahler 2 and 3 and 7.
ttf_Stewbones43

Post by ttf_Stewbones43 »

Borodin Symphony No. 2  Fun whichever trombone part you play and lots of time changes to keep you busy and off your mobile phone!

Rimsky-Korsakov Scheherazade if the principal violin can cope with the solos!

Cheers

Stewbones
ttf_jmtheob

Post by ttf_jmtheob »

Hard to choose one, but I have really enjoyed Copland's 3rd.  Great 3rd trombone part.
ttf_paulyg

Post by ttf_paulyg »

Elgar's Enigma Variations has some great parts.
ttf_RMTrombone

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

Quote from: paulyg on Aug 13, 2017, 10:38PMElgar's Enigma Variations has some great parts.
+1

Wagner?
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Reflecting on the thigns I actually was able to play, I have to say that Symphonic Metamorphosis was definitely among the most fun things I played with an orchestra.
ttf_ronkny

Post by ttf_ronkny »

Quote from: RMTrombone on Aug 14, 2017, 09:15AM +1

Wagner?
On bass trumpet, is awesome too.

ttf_Andrew Meronek

Post by ttf_Andrew Meronek »

I remember having a pretty good time many years ago when I got to play Dvorak's New World Symphony.
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Anything with a good trombone chorale, e.g., Nabucco Overture, Mahler 2, Tchaik 6.
ttf_JimArcher

Post by ttf_JimArcher »

Lots of favorites, played in a New Horizons Band Camp again this summer here in the NW. One piece was Victory at Sea, Bennett & Rogers arrangement, that'd always be on my list(s).  Love the Bass Trombone part at meas. 237-253 (Double triggers rule.) 
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: JimArcher on Aug 15, 2017, 06:16AMLots of favorites, played in a New Horizons Band Camp again this summer here in the NW. One piece was Victory at Sea, Bennett & Rogers arrangement, that'd always be on my list(s).  Love the Bass Trombone part at meas. 237-253 (Double triggers rule.) 

We did that in my orchestra one July 4th.  My friend, who has a very difficult low register, was playing 3rd (we swap off parts).  He referred to it as "Victory at Low D". Image
ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: BGuttman on Aug 15, 2017, 10:54AM He referred to it as "Victory at Low D". Image

ttf_djdekok

Post by ttf_djdekok »

To quote one of my dear departed theater friends, "whatever I'm currently working on".
That being said, Another vote for Victory at Sea, and:
Nielsen 4
Beethoven 9
Berlioz Symphony Fantastique and any of his overtures, but esp. Roman Carnival and Beatrice and Benedict
Tchaikovsky 5
Mozart Requiem
Verdi Requiem
one Band piece--Russian Christmas Music (trombone IV part). Talk about king of the low d's!
(I like a lot of the band lit, but that part on that piece stands out)

And the bucket list (of pieces I still WANT to play) is ten times longer, headed up by Brahms 2 (do I even need to say why?)
ttf_Driving Park

Post by ttf_Driving Park »

Tchaik 4 and Tchaik 5 are probably tied at the top for me. Both have really fun bass trombone parts.

Another vote here for Borodin 2, and I'll also throw the Haydn Creation into the mix. Fun from start to finish (and the excerpt is far from the hardest part).
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

How about Brahms 2, Dvorak 8, and Mahler 5? 
ttf_Posaunus

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

How about Brahms 2, Dvorak 8, and Mahler 5? 

Return to “Performance”