Taking over a big band - am I insane???????

ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

OK, it has been pretty smooth so far.  We had a gig yesterday at a city festival and played really well.  John introduced me to the guy who booked the band and we were asked back next year.

Tonight we surprised John.  Our band sponsor, an old friend of his, paid for a cater to bring in pizza, chicken, salad, and drinks and arranged for the mayor to show up and give John a proclamation of thanks.  .   We found out John was going to move his boig heavy old tube TV to his 12x12 room in the VA home so we chipped in and got him a gift certificate for a flat screen.

John is downsizing, and asked me to put the stands, stand lights, an old keyboard amp with an XLR jack he used for announcements, etc. in my car.  I thought it was a favor to store them while the contractors were prepping his house for sale.  When I went back in he said "You're welcome".  He GAVE them to the band!

I now have a month until the next rehearsal (we are skipping our regular 1st Monday rehearsal due to Labor Day) to get organized.

Best

ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

It just gets better.  I called him to arrange to come over and download the .pdf files off his computer as he has no idea what a thumb drive is.  He said he had an offer - after the fuss we made over him on Monday, he wants $500 for the books and music, not the $2,000 he originally wanted.  The folders are the expensive black ones with the part embossed on the front they are worth a decent amount even empty!  Considering he gave us the equipment, I thought that was a fair deal.  We can as a band decide what we want to get originals of so we are legal when we play our first gig under new management.  Image Image Image Image Image
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

I'm not sure if I've EVER played a gig that didn't involve at lease SOME Xeroxes.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Copies become necessary under a few conditions:

1.  You lose a part and the music is Out of Print.
2.  You try to buy a replacement part and the publisher doesn't answer or refuses to sell just the part.
3.  The original has become very damaged and can't be used on its own (often in conjunction with condition 1).

I wouldn't consider any of these cases a copyright infringement (although technically it is).  In no case are we refusing to buy and arrangement; you already own it.  I personally would be more likely to buy additional arrangements rather than have to replace ones I already own.  And I'd bet Zac and Rich would agree.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

I don't mind someone making copies of a chart after they bought it from me. Archiving is a valid reason to copy.

What I do mind is someone making copies and then "loaning" it out or giving it away. That is depriving me of income. If someone wants to play my stuff, give them my email or phone number. I'll tell them where to send the check or paypal.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: Exzaclee on Aug 31, 2017, 03:38PMI don't mind someone making copies of a chart after they bought it from me. Archiving is a valid reason to copy.

What I do mind is someone making copies and then "loaning" it out or giving it away. That is depriving me of income. If someone wants to play my stuff, give them my email or phone number. I'll tell them where to send the check or paypal.

No argument there.  I personally try to buy anything I want to play provided it's not Public Domain.

Sometimes I get a little peeved when I can only rent it and it costs as much as buying it.
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: Exzaclee on Aug 31, 2017, 03:38PMI don't mind someone making copies of a chart after they bought it from me. Archiving is a valid reason to copy.

That is why I didn't take the original deal.  Play for pay only what we have paid for or public domain stuff, not photocopies without having the originals.
ttf_Woolworth

Post by ttf_Woolworth »

Quote from: BGuttman on Aug 31, 2017, 02:02PMCopies become necessary under a few conditions:

2.  You try to buy a replacement part and the publisher doesn't answer or refuses to sell just the part.
3.  The original has become very damaged and can't be used on its own (often in conjunction with condition 1).

I wouldn't consider any of these cases a copyright infringement (although technically it is).  In no case are we refusing to buy and arrangement; you already own it.  I personally would be more likely to buy additional arrangements rather than have to replace ones I already own.  And I'd bet Zac and Rich would agree.

I spoke with one publisher about those exact conditions; his response was "I'd have no problem with that".  There are always exceptions to every rule.
ttf_RMTrombone

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

Quote from: BGuttman on Aug 31, 2017, 02:02PMCopies become necessary under a few conditions:

I believe that if a copyrighted work is "Out of Print" (#1), we have "carte blanche" to do anything we want, including making and selling copies. Isn't it the responsibility of the copyright holder to see that prints are available? In the current information age, out of print is going to disappear.
Interesting sidebars happen when an author wants a work pulled off the market. They must publish to protect the copyright ... but #2

#3 is illegal as the law forces us to buy a new copy.
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Quote from: RMTrombone on Sep 01, 2017, 04:56PMI believe that if a copyrighted work is "Out of Print" (#1), we have "carte blanche" to do anything we want, including making and selling copies.

Uh, nope. If you legally purchased a copy and you make copies for archival purposes no one is coming after you - yes it's technically infringement, but it's not going to attract any attention. You're protecting your investment. If you start selling copies of something you did nothing to create, you're opening yourself up to legal action if any owners of the original copyright find out. I can't say this any clearer: if you do not own the copyright to a work or have no legal arrangement with the owner of copyright, you have no right to sell it.

Quote from: RMTrombone on Sep 01, 2017, 04:56PMIsn't it the responsibility of the copyright holder to see that prints are available?

No. Copyright, in spirit anyway, is "awarded" the minute one commits pen to paper on an original work. It is practically awarded when one actually registers the work. The copyright holder has every right to limit performance of a piece. There is no legal requirement to publish. Look around and see how many film scores are available - I mean the actual scores and not songbooks or middle school band arrangements. There aren't many. The studio usually owns the copyright to that stuff and they rarely release those scores to the public. Occasionally bits and pieces of things will show up in textbooks for film score study, maybe a hastily hand-copied snippet from an orchestrator gets leaked on a "members-only" forum. There is no legal obligation to publish.

There used to be a rental agency that rented out some of the Gil Evans stuff... strange because so much of the parts and scores were in that box fill of stuff from Miles' estate. I tried to rent that stuff a couple of times and the emails never lead to anything. That stuff has just started being published in the last few years (thanks to the efforts of Jeff Sultanof at ejazzlines). If there was a "duty to publish" or any legal force like that in effect, it would've been out decades ago.

I've collaborated on a couple of musical scores with a friend of mine. These were small "musicals in a box" that required small casts, yet the production costs still ran into 6 figures. If we were required to publish, any tom dick and harry could just buy the music, video a performance, and put on a show we spent months developing for a fraction of the cost. The producer would be out of his own pocket in excess of 100K if he couldn't sell the show and recoup some of the investment.

It's theft.

Quote from: RMTrombone on Sep 01, 2017, 04:56PM In the current information age, out of print is going to disappear.

It's inspiring more than a few people to be very protective of there work and not publish for fear of something being pirated and released online. I've even had to sign contracts on works for hire ensuring the employer that I would destroy all files after transfer. It's not just about protecting the dignity of the performance - it's about protecting income.

Quote from: RMTrombone on Sep 01, 2017, 04:56PMInteresting sidebars happen when an author wants a work pulled off the market. They must publish to protect the copyright ... but #2
#3 is illegal as the law forces us to buy a new copy.
If an author wants to withdraw something from the market, they need approval from the publisher who invested all that money into publishing the piece, or marketing the tour, producing the album, yada yada.... if an author has self published they can yank it any time they darn well please. There is no legal requirement that a composer make a work publicly available. If the composer is in cahoots with a publisher, they have to honor the contract they signed.

Yes, #3 is illegal - but like I said before, copying parts for archival purposes is not something that ASCAP is going after people for, unless they try distributing those copies. I personally do not find anything morally questionable about copying parts for safekeeping. The way I look at it, you're purchasing the right to play the piece provided the venue covers their ASCAP/BMI/SESAC requirements. You are not purchasing the right to sell a piece, loan it out, or distribute it in any way that denies income to the original creator.

I think there's a general attitude that we are somehow entitled to something just because we want it. We're not.
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

OK, first rehearsal under my leadership was last night.   I was nervous and left my draft set list at home but it went very well.  The commander of the VFW wants us to rehearse once a month and do a paid gig in December.  Unexpected surprise!  OUr female vocalist had cancer and has been out for months but said she had out of town guests and would like to sing one or two for them.  Her husband used to play trumpet with us until he had a stroke.  He came but didn't bring a horn.  One of the other trumpet players called right before we were to start to say he couldn't make it, so one of the ones there pulled out his flugelhorn and another some reading glasses so Vince could play 4th.  He was all smiles afterwords and thanked me for letting him play.  I said he was welcome to sit in and double a part anytime, and if we needed a sub would call him.  Great physical and psychological therapy for him, good karma for us.  One of our newer members brought an Ellington arrangement of I Can't Stop Loving You and DONATED it to the band.  An original, not a copy! 

John, the prior leader, didn't butt in, which I appreciated.  I heard later that this VFW thing could have happened a year ago but he took it on himself to turn it down, never asked the band.  My buddy and I are co-owners of the music and equipment; he is organizing rehearsals and getting subs when needed as well as giving good advice.  My wife went from "you are crazy, you don't have the time, don't even think about it" to being ultra supportive.  She went through every single folder, made a master spreadsheet of music sortable by name and number with notes on tempos and style, made a separate spreadsheet of charts that are missing parts and which part is missing for each one, and developed a band flyer.

John said he wants to keep playing until he moves into the VA home, but wants to sell me his vintage 3B when he goes.  I am honored.
ttf_KingMan

Post by ttf_KingMan »

I question my sanity all the time. I got the manager thing by default about 3 years ago. So far, so good, although I get very little help from the other members of the band.

I use 2 spreadsheets to keep track of things: one for scheduling and one for managing our music and line-ups.

Excel has some really useful functions to make life easier, especially the management of subs. We rarely have an empty seat, even at rehearsals. PM me if you'd ever like to discuss the tools I've developed.

Joel

ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

It is going better than my wildest dreams.  John left for good a month ago.  The second trombone player is now co-owner with me and is our personnel manager, freeing me from worrying about getting people to gigs.  The band is re-energized.
I'm getting settled in on leading rehearsals, and getting good feedback.  Members are bringing in new charts.     

Our drummer had to take a month off and the sub we got has a Master's in music and toured as a pro. He said he wants to stay if our regular drummer doesn't come back.   Our bass player was a no show Monday's rehearsal, and this guy said he knew a pro from New York who was new in town and would love to sit in.    Wow!  We must not suck, I guess!

I helped out my old community band at a concert this week when they had no trombones (got a thread on that elsewhere) and chatted a bit with the conductor.  He had sat in on drums under the old big band leader and said he wasn't interested in coming back, but now that my buddy and I are leading it he said he would be happy to sub on drums, trumpet, or trombone, just call.  We are working out a deal with bar/restaurant to do a rehearsal or two there on a slow night with the idea of building a following.  My wife is still very supportive. I expect some thorns along the way (like what do I do about the drummer situation) but overall it is rosy!
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Glad to hear things are coming together for you
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: Radar on Dec 22, 2017, 05:04AMGlad to hear things are coming together for you

Thanks!  My wife designed a logo, a cat with sunglasses, and I just ordered new business cards for the band.  No more outdated logo, no more crossing out names and phone numbers. 
ttf_nemomcnab

Post by ttf_nemomcnab »

Quote from: gregs70 on Dec 21, 2017, 02:50PMIt is going better than my wildest dreams.  John left for good a month ago.  The second trombone player is now co-owner with me and is our personnel manager, freeing me from worrying about getting people to gigs.  The band is re-energized.
I'm getting settled in on leading rehearsals, and getting good feedback.  Members are bringing in new charts.    

Our drummer had to take a month off and the sub we got has a Master's in music and toured as a pro. He said he wants to stay if our regular drummer doesn't come back.   Our bass player was a no show Monday's rehearsal, and this guy said he knew a pro from New York who was new in town and would love to sit in.    Wow!  We must not suck, I guess!

I helped out my old community band at a concert this week when they had no trombones (got a thread on that elsewhere) and chatted a bit with the conductor.  He had sat in on drums under the old big band leader and said he wasn't interested in coming back, but now that my buddy and I are leading it he said he would be happy to sub on drums, trumpet, or trombone, just call.  We are working out a deal with bar/restaurant to do a rehearsal or two there on a slow night with the idea of building a following.  My wife is still very supportive. I expect some thorns along the way (like what do I do about the drummer situation) but overall it is rosy!

Good for you! I'm always happy to hear about "community" big bands keeping it together through the ravages of time and personalities. Of course there will be thorns, but if you treat people with kindness and keep a collaborative atmosphere, you can preserve the fun and minimize the drama. Regarding the "drummer situation" and the concert band conductor, etc; you might consider proposing the sharing/rotating of some chairs with the goal of keeping quality "subs" familiar with the book and the flow of the group. In my experience, skilled players tend to fill their calendars quickly and if you want to keep them in your orbit, you need to keep them engaged. Having more butts than seats can definitely be a problem, but it's a better problem than the reverse.

Best of luck with this endeavor. It sounds like you are definitely doing some things right and are off to a great start.

-Jim
ttf_nemomcnab

Post by ttf_nemomcnab »

Quote from: gregs70 on Dec 21, 2017, 02:50PMIt is going better than my wildest dreams.  John left for good a month ago.  The second trombone player is now co-owner with me and is our personnel manager, freeing me from worrying about getting people to gigs.  The band is re-energized.

Our drummer had to take a month off and the sub we got has a Master's in music and toured as a pro. He said he wants to stay if our regular drummer doesn't come back.   Our bass player was a no show Monday's rehearsal, and this guy said he knew a pro from New York who was new in town and would love to sit in.    Wow!  We must not suck, I guess!

Good for you! I'm always happy to hear about "community" big bands keeping it together through the ravages of time and personalities. Of course there will be thorns, but if you treat people with kindness and keep a collaborative atmosphere, you can preserve the fun and minimize the drama. Regarding the "drummer situation" and the concert band conductor, etc; you might consider proposing the sharing/rotating of some chairs with the goal of keeping quality "subs" familiar with the book and the flow of the group. In my experience, skilled players tend to fill their calendars quickly and if you want to keep them in your orbit, you need to keep them engaged. Having more butts than seats can definitely be a problem, but it's a better problem than the reverse.

Best of luck with this endeavor. It sounds like you are definitely doing some things right and are off to a great start.

-Jim

Return to “Performance”