More YouTube Trombonists

ttf_Doug Elliott

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Yes, I think there are some individuals who just happen to have all the physical and musical attributes coming together to be able to play trombone easily.  Combine that with excellent early influences and an educational system that promotes such things...  I've heard that Budapest has several professional orchestras.  In some places (but not here in the US), musicians get a lot of respect.
ttf_FreddyB

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_FreddyB »

Quote from: Chris Fidler on Jun 11, 2011, 12:31PMYoung Hungarian tiger Csaba Bencze.......... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni5vMiZus0o&feature=related

Image How old is that guy? Sheesh. Almost makes me want to throw my bone in the bin. Amazing.
ttf_Chris Fidler

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Chris Fidler »

He has a whole load of stuff posted here............ http://www.youtube.com/user/benczecs#g/u
ttf_MoominDave

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_MoominDave »

Worth not forgetting that the modern large-bore tenor trombone is very nearly a bass trombone as is! He has a great sound (in addition to that impressive technique) - a great sound that one could happily use as a bass trombone without modification. Indeed, it would be a more appropriate bass trombone sound than many that I hear in both professional and amateur ensembles. It's great to hear a large-bore tenor trombonist recognise the capabilities of the instrument in the lower register, when so many are focussed on reaching the higher stuff at the expense of this kind of playing.
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Yowsers.. That guy sounds great!

....now, for the other end of the staff..

Here's my shameless demonstration of my new Rath R3 recorded with a cheap camera and a minute and a half of down time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSJe-2YxV-k

Enjoy!

Wes Funderburk
www.Funderbone.com
ttf_Chris Fidler

More YouTube Trombonists

Quote from: Wes Funderburk on Jun 12, 2011, 06:27AMYowsers.. That guy sounds great!

....now, for the other end of the staff..

Here's my shameless demonstration of my new Rath R3 recorded with a cheap camera and a minute and a half of down time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSJe-2YxV-k

Enjoy!

Wes Funderburk
www.Funderbone.com

Hey Wes I'm giving my R3F back, it doesn't have as many notes on it as yours...........  Image Image Image

P.S. What piece you using on it???
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Ha!..

It's a Bach NY 7.. I like it a lot.

Wes Funderburk
www.Funderbone.com
ttf_s3si1u

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_s3si1u »

David concertino for trombone quartet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lb94dCCfUQ
ttf_s3si1u

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_s3si1u »

Quote from: FreddyB on Jun 11, 2011, 11:53PM Image How old is that guy? Sheesh. Almost makes me want to throw my bone in the bin. Amazing.
i am pretty certain that he is now 21
ttf_Chris Fidler

More YouTube Trombonists

CHECK THIS ONE OUT.

Trevor Myers UK trombonist ........ Bone solo at 6.49

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwTX-gTStck&feature=related

Image Image Image
ttf_Jox

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Jox »

Why have I never heard of this guy? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HtQknBwQdc
ttf_Doug Elliott

More YouTube Trombonists

Bill Reichenbach?  You probably just saw him at the ITF.
ttf_Jox

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Jox »

Ohhhhhhhhhhh realllllly..... Btw the check got mailed today
ttf_Graham Martin

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

What an absolutely gorgeous tone! I believe that is Bill Reichenbach on bass trombone, Eric (Rick) Culver on lead maybe.
ttf_Graham Martin

More YouTube Trombonists

I was doing a search for some Tyree Glenn - something I probably have not done for a few years, and I found these videos I had not previously heard. Tyree is a bit forgotten these days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8yyNiwedgA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtL8GMv3zhM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YLgxNsW0gg&feature=fvwrel

As a young man, Tyree was a big influence on me. I wore out several copies of the LP Tyree Glenn at the Embers. It wasn't really because it was a studio session but he was at least performing there around that time.

I never got around to playing vibes - but one of these days! Image

ttf_griffinben

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_griffinben »

modified for my own good....
ttf_savio

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: Graham Martin on Jul 06, 2011, 06:42PMI was doing a search for some Tyree Glenn - something I probably have not done for a few years, and I found these videos I had not previously heard. Tyree is a bit forgotten these days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8yyNiwedgA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtL8GMv3zhM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YLgxNsW0gg&feature=fvwrel

As a young man, Tyree was a big influence on me. I wore out several copies of the LP Tyree Glenn at the Embers. It wasn't really because it was a studio session but he was at least performing there around that time.

I never got around to playing vibes - but one of these days! Image

Thanks for the links.  Image

Look at that last link. Its easy to see who Ed Neumeister maybe was inspired from? I say maybe because I don't know. But there are some familiarity? Anyway amazing what he do on his trombone?

Leif
ttf_yammy690+1

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_yammy690+1 »

Quote from: D Gibson on Jun 01, 2011, 08:23AMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p17_vEHO7Ic

got called for a high profile gig recently by a contractor.  the "artist" wanted to see YouTube clips before hiring and this is what they found.  i probably owe YouTube a commission on the gig. 

I tell you what.......Im diggin that 4B o'er the Rath.....just MHO
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: yammy690+1 on Jul 07, 2011, 08:25AMI tell you what.......Im diggin that 4B o'er the Rath.....just MHO

The Rath has only been recorded well in a couple of YouTube videos. I like the way it sounds (and feels) WAY better on my last two recordings for Posi-Tone. The YouTube stuff on the 4B is wayyyyyy compressed, so it sounds like it's popping more. No comparison between the two live, though.
ttf_John Beers Jr.

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_John Beers Jr. »

Since the Czaba Bencze topic was still on this page, in terms of interpretation, i consider his version of Blue Bells to be pretty near "reference"... doesn't get too fast in the initial variations, allowing him to build up the intensity extremely nicely across the course of the piece:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81iVQfsuaPE&feature=channel_video_title

I'd love to hear a well-recorded version though.
ttf_ctingle

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_ctingle »

ttf_sabutin

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: ctingle on Jul 11, 2011, 12:24PMGo Papo Vasquez!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efGtsJ2vGk4&feature=player_embedded#at=162

What is it that you like about this track, Chip? Really. This is a serious question.

S.
ttf_ctingle

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_ctingle »

While it's not my favorite tune or Papo clip, I dug the fact that Papo presented a unique arrangement on it, played a nice solo over it, featured a good singer....and the fact that it actually showed up in youtube and facebook "culture". 

My favorite or best Papo?  Nope....more of a pleasant surprise kind of "Go!".  Watered down for a performing arts center, but representing none the less.  I'll have to search more for any Papo I can find, watered down or not.

Cheers,

Quote from: sabutin on Jul 11, 2011, 12:34PMWhat is it that you like about this track, Chip? Really. This is a serious question.

S.

ttf_Chris Fidler

More YouTube Trombonists

Quote from: ctingle on Jul 11, 2011, 12:24PMGo Papo Vasquez!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efGtsJ2vGk4&feature=player_embedded#at=162

That was terrible........-.  Image

Check this out at the 10.27 minute mark, a buddy of mine Trevor Mires............ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2JCPjbp8B4
ttf_sabutin

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: ctingle on Jul 11, 2011, 12:55PMWhile it's not my favorite tune or Papo clip, I dug the fact that Papo presented a unique arrangement on it, played a nice solo over it, featured a good singer....and the fact that it actually showed up in youtube and facebook "culture". 

My favorite or best Papo?  Nope....more of a pleasant surprise kind of "Go!".  Watered down for a performing arts center, but representing none the less.  I'll have to search more for any Papo I can find, watered down or not.

Cheers,

Well Chip...to me it represents everything that is worst in so-called "salsa."

A good singer????!!!

Out of tune like crazy. As is the entire band.

Papo's conducting?

A total joke. Just a show for the audience.

The band...? Perhaps one reason why the singer...and Papo as well...sound so bad. Also completely out of tune, just plodding through a half-realized, mechanically written arrangement using rote, not thoroughly understood Fake Book changes. I know Papo well...he has a great deal of talent. But he's not been utilizing it very well for many years, I am sorry to say.

I cringe when I hear this kind of stuff.

And sadly...it's quite common.

There is so much to this music. If this band dared try to play this awful sh*(t in Cuba, they'd run the risk of being lynched.

Sorry, but there it is.

Sad.

S.
ttf_ctingle

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_ctingle »

terribly recorded with bad audio?  Ok, yes.  Terrible musically?  C'mon cats.  

Despite the fact this particular tune has lived in muzak land for so much of it's life, this arrangement is well done and unique, the R section is solid, the flute writing and playing catches my ears nicely, the singer is delivering in classic style at a high level, and Papo gets off a nice little ride.

What other factors might be at work for such blistering commentary to come so quickly?

Imagine yourself in the room before the audio was squeezed into that little camera's mic....if you can.....or not.

Quote from: Chris Fidler on Jul 11, 2011, 01:29PMThat was terrible........-.  Image

Check this out at the 10.27 minute mark, a buddy of mine Trevor Mires............ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2JCPjbp8B4

ttf_ctingle

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_ctingle »

Whew, just seeing this after my previous post....

I find myself in weird territory, defending a clip with many flaws on many levels, but that's ok.  I'm a big boy now.

I may be deaf....but I don't hear the singer as being out of tune.  Poorly recorded?  You bet.  Please point me to a timing mark where you think he's out, as I'm honestly not hearing it.....so it goes.

The set player makes a questionable choice at the peak section near the end, but it's a live gig clip, so I'm forgiving.

The R section lays down a solid bolero throughout, nothing too exciting, but solid.  Is that John Benitez and Anthony Carillo?

Horn intonation?  Questionable at some points, but not as bad as I would gather from your post above, Sam.  Again, I put more of the blame on a tiny camera's single mic of questionable quality.

Upon second listening to Papo's solo, I dug it.  Yes, he's using ideas I've heard him use many times....but he delivers it soulfully for my ears, in his "voice".

Arrangement?  I'd give it a B or B minus, but again, not as terrible as you seem to think it is, Sam. 

For me, it would be very interesting to hear this exact performance somehow magically transported to Bennett studios (or high end studio of choice) and run through their system.....to see if our critiques would stand up.  It's more a matter of poor audio than anything else for me.

Quote from: sabutin on Jul 11, 2011, 01:42PMWell Chip...to me it represents everything that is worst in so-called "salsa."

A good singer????!!!

Out of tune like crazy. As is the entire band.

Papo's conducting?

A total joke. Just a show for the audience.

The band...? Perhaps one reason why the singer...and Papo as well...sound so bad. Also completely out of tune, just plodding through a half-realized, mechanically written arrangement using rote, not thoroughly understood Fake Book changes. I know Papo well...he has a great deal of talent. But he's not been utilizing it very well for many years, I am sorry to say.

I cringe when I hear this kind of stuff.

And sadly...it's quite common.

There is so much to this music. If this band dared try to play this awful sh*(t in Cuba, they'd run the risk of being lynched.

Sorry, but there it is.

Sad.

S.

ttf_ctingle

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_ctingle »

I trust this band has a nice cruise ship gig somewhere.....not happening in my book.  Sorry.

Quote from: Chris Fidler on Jul 11, 2011, 01:29PMThat was terrible........-.  Image

ttf_sabutin

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_sabutin »

Quote from: ctingle on Jul 11, 2011, 01:59PMWhew, just seeing this after my previous post....

I find myself in weird territory, defending a clip with many flaws on many levels, but that's ok.  I'm a big boy now.

I may be deaf....but I don't hear the singer as being out of tune.  Poorly recorded?  You bet.  Please point me to a timing mark where you think he's out, as I'm honestly not hearing it.....so it goes.

---snip---
He's not just out, the whole band is out. By the 6th note of the intro it is already unlistenable. Forced, out of tune on the 6th note, the trumpet player forcing (and not making it) by the 5th note...the last chord of the intro? Unbearable. The 3rd bar of the intro (4th including pickups)? There are notes inside of that chord...I think the worst offender is a trombone, but the recording is so bad I can't tell and the mush from the keyboard botches everything up anyway...that are not even in the right universe, let alone "in tune." Blend? Fuggedaboudit. The usual 2nd rate salsa-strained sound. The whole band is not playing at the same pitch as the keyboard, just for starters,  The singer? His 6th note is nowhere near in tune. He ain't even hearing it. Now maybe the bad pitch of the band is clouding his ears and that flat 7 certainly is a hard interval to hear, but from then on it just gets worse. That's a hard tune in the first place, and crap like this probably makes it unsingable. Too bad. If it's like that, don't take the gig. I don't. I'd rather work in a shoe store.

For real.

C'mon, man.

You don't hear this?

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but after playing with Tito Puente's better bands, the Machito Orchestra under the watchful eye and ear of the Mario Bauza, the Mambo Legends/Giants of Latin Jazz and Chico O'Farrill I know that this crap is not what has to happen. And I further know that this is precisely the reason that so many people look down upon this music.

Sorry...I am not going to give this scene a pass. In the practice rooms of Boy's Harbor? Well...they're students. But pros? No. No pass. This is the degradation of a noble idiom, and it will be its death eventually if something doesn't happen. Soon.

Listen to the music coming out of Cuba, out of Columbia and Venezuela and PR. No comparison.

Sorry. Homeboy don't play this tune. Can't listen to it, either.

Later...

S.
ttf_Chris Fidler

More YouTube Trombonists

Quote from: ctingle on Jul 11, 2011, 02:08PMI trust this band has a nice cruise ship gig somewhere.....not happening in my book.  Sorry.

I didn't say it was happening....... Just pointing you towards Mr Trevor Mires!!!
A fantastic trombone player!!!
You may also have heard him on some Incognito (The world famous funk/soul band) recordings.
ttf_Jox

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Jox »

ttf_ctingle

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_ctingle »

Yep, talented player indeed!  Just not my musical mood at the moment, I guess.  Feels like a lot of 1983 sessions I thought I forgot.  Talented players though....

Quote from: Chris Fidler on Jul 11, 2011, 02:30PMI didn't say it was happening....... Just pointing you towards Mr Trevor Mires!!!
A fantastic trombone player!!!
You may also have heard him on some Incognito (The world famous funk/soul band) recordings.

ttf_ctingle

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_ctingle »

Perhaps I'm in a more forgiving mood today, but I hear a lot of good things in the big picture.  Bad audio - check.  Under rehearsed - check. 

Do I dig Papo?  Yep.  Do I did Herman Olivera?  Yep.  Do I dig many musical elements of this clip?  Yep.

That's cool.  Viva la bonistic differencia ! ? !  Image

Quote from: sabutin on Jul 11, 2011, 02:26PMHe's not just out, the whole band is out. By the 6th note of the intro it is already unlistenable. Forced, out of tune on the 6th note, the trumpet player forcing (and not making it) by the 5th note...the last chord of the intro? Unbearable. The 3rd bar of the intro (4th including pickups)? There are notes inside of that chord...I think the worst offender is a trombone, but the recording is so bad I can't tell and the mush from the keyboard botches everything up anyway...that are not even in the right universe, let alone "in tune." Blend? Fuggedaboudit. The usual 2nd rate salsa-strained sound. The whole band is not playing at the same pitch as the keyboard, just for starters,  The singer? His 6th note is nowhere near in tune. He ain't even hearing it. Now maybe the bad pitch of the band is clouding his ears and that flat 7 certainly is a hard interval to hear, but from then on it just gets worse. That's a hard tune in the first place, and crap like this probably makes it unsingable. Too bad. If it's like that, don't take the gig. I don't. I'd rather work in a shoe store.

For real.

C'mon, man.

You don't hear this?

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but after playing with Tito Puente's better bands, the Machito Orchestra under the watchful eye and ear of the Mario Bauza, the Mambo Legends/Giants of Latin Jazz and Chico O'Farrill I know that this crap is not what has to happen. And I further know that this is precisely the reason that so many people look down upon this music.

Sorry...I am not going to give this scene a pass. In the practice rooms of Boy's Harbor? Well...they're students. But pros? No. No pass. This is the degradation of a noble idiom, and it will be its death eventually if something doesn't happen. Soon.

Listen to the music coming out of Cuba, out of Columbia and Venezuela and PR. No comparison.

Sorry. Homeboy don't play this tune. Can't listen to it, either.

Later...

S.

ttf_griffinben

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_griffinben »

Quote from: Jox on Jul 11, 2011, 02:40PMhttp://www.youtube.com/user/opus289#p/search/0/O3rN0WqFgos

Its a wild crazy forum, Arthur, full of slides and and mouthpieces and vibrato,  But when your bore gets too big, you empty your water, and you look at that paperclip shaped hunk of brass and say: "Hey!  We're not going to take you mushy legato any more!"  And you wrestle it into alternate positions and let the song sing, because pitch and justice don't sleep, and we'll be there to wake them up!
ttf_bds9992

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_bds9992 »

ttf_bds9992

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_bds9992 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv925wgy7hc

I can hear what he's saying when he plays the melody. And that's what I like to know.
ttf_Jox

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Jox »

ttf_Bellend

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Bellend »

The one and only Al Grey with Count Basie palying "The More I See You"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48ZF49za1wg&feature=related

Enjoy

BellEnd
ttf_Graham Martin

More YouTube Trombonists

Oh, gees! I really like that. Image I was doing "The More I See You" as a Bossa in Bb but I just changed the file to a ballad at 80 bpm in Db, with the first 12 bars down an octave - just like Al. I am not sure I can get away with those notes sliding up to pitch but I'll give it a try. Near neighbours indeed. Super! Thanks for putting that up BellEnd. Image
ttf_Bellend

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Bellend »

Glad you liked it Graham.

My friend used to have that this performance on LP , and we used to listen to it a lot so it's great to see and hear him play it.

BellEnd
ttf_Trekkie Trombone

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Trekkie Trombone »

ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

ttf_ntap

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_ntap »

Robin Eubanks, Eric Harland and Stefon Harris talk about music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_3tcj134Nk&feature=youtu.be
ttf_anonymous

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Glenn Ferris

sound, storytelling, music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gAraMDlVRg
ttf_Chris Fidler

More YouTube Trombonists

Quote from: mingmonk on Jul 27, 2011, 09:57AMGlenn Ferris

sound, storytelling, music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gAraMDlVRg

Wonderful playing ......... Thank's for posting  Image
ttf_Graham Martin

More YouTube Trombonists

What a great group. Yes, lots of character in the trombone playing with the swing era inflections from the trombone definitely improving the unison ensemble statement. The trombone solo was strong on the storytelling as pointed out by mingmonk with again those little trombonistics improving the character and interest level.

Hey, what a great bass player! Image

I am a little biased towards European groups because I believe they have taken the best from the American pioneers and they nearly always remember to 'swing' - like my signature says.

Notice also the applause for the trombone playing from the audience. No 'common perception' here of the trombone being a non event.
ttf_Chris Fidler

More YouTube Trombonists

FYI.......Glenn Ferris is American but has lived in France for many years!!!
ttf_Graham Martin

More YouTube Trombonists

Quote from: Chris Fidler on Jul 27, 2011, 04:54PMFYI.......Glenn Ferris is American but has lived in France for many years!!!

I said that! But it was in the other topic I was writing about at the same time and to which I made reference here.

http://tromboneforum.org/index.php/topic,57507.0.html

Moreover, the group and the audience is most certainly European.
ttf_Ellrod

More YouTube Trombonists

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

Lovely playing by Mr. Ferris. He was one of my first trombone role models - I admired his playing on Don Ellis' Live at Fillmore back in the day.
ttf_Doug Elliott

More YouTube Trombonists

I've always loved Glenn's playing.  Couldn't help noticing his very interesting use of the valve for sort of against-the-grain chromatics A-Bb-B-C with the Bb in flat 3rd with the valve, and I think there was another one too.

Return to “Trombonists”