Ended up with boxes of salon music

ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Found somebody selling old stock big band arrangements (Warrington, etc.) and he begged me to take the boxes of maybe 150 pieces of salon music he had.  He said it all came from an NBC orchestra in Cleveland.  It is in German.  I pulled two out at random.  Once piece dated 1934 had Piano-Direction, Basso, Clarinetto I in B, Violino I, Tromba, Harmonioum, Violino obbligato, Oboe I, Violincello, Trombone III, Batteria, Flauto I.  It seems to be missing a lot of parts.  Another had Piccolo, Oboe II, Clarinet II, Harmonium, Violine Obligat, Trompete I in B, Singstimme, Violine I, Alt-Saxophone I in Es, Piano-Direktion, Alt-Saxophon III in Es, Bab (that one is bass cleff - is it Bass?), Posuane III, Klarinette I in B, Tenor-Saxophon II in B, Cello, and Schlagzeug. 

I found a little about this music on line.  One CD set said "Relive the golden age of palm court salon music with over 2 hours of tangos, waltzes and charming opera and operetta melodies, played in the style that was the height of fashion in the grand European cafés of the early twentieth century."

Does anybody have any more info they can share with me on this music?  Does anybody have any interest in it?  It is oddball but deserves a good home.

ttf_slide advantage

Post by ttf_slide advantage »

Nice!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

There are a number of groups that specialize in this kind of music.  Look up the Paragon Ragtime Orchestra.  I modeled an ensemble on them from my Orchestra to play an antique car show (wish I could find another gig for them).  Our arrangements are a little different from yours, often based on small orchestra or Theater Orchestra.  We had Violins I-II, viola, cello, Flute, Clarinet, 2 Cornets, trombone, tuba/Bass, and percussion.

The eclectic nature of your parts may indicate that a lot of the musicians were heavy doublers, something not terribly common today.
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Nov 11, 2017, 03:39AMThere are a number of groups that specialize in this kind of music.  Look up the Paragon Ragtime Orchestra.  I modeled an ensemble on them from my Orchestra to play an antique car show (wish I could find another gig for them).  Our arrangements are a little different from yours, often based on small orchestra or Theater Orchestra.  We had Violins I-II, viola, cello, Flute, Clarinet, 2 Cornets, trombone, tuba/Bass, and percussion.

The eclectic nature of your parts may indicate that a lot of the musicians were heavy doublers, something not terribly common today.

Thanks!  The first piece on my list had "Picc., Fl. 2 Ob., 2 Clar., 2 Fag., 4 Cor., 2 Tr., 3 Trbni, Batt. & Archi" on top of a line, and below was "Viol. obbl., Harm. & Piano".  Like I said, some were missing.  They guy I got them from said he played reeds, he didn't say sax, so yes doubling was likely. 
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

Quote from: BGuttman on Nov 11, 2017, 03:39AMThere are a number of groups that specialize in this kind of music.  Look up the Paragon Ragtime Orchestra.  I modeled an ensemble on them from my Orchestra to play an antique car show (wish I could find another gig for them).  Our arrangements are a little different from yours, often based on small orchestra or Theater Orchestra.  We had Violins I-II, viola, cello, Flute, Clarinet, 2 Cornets, trombone, tuba/Bass, and percussion.

Thanks!  The first piece on my list had "Picc., Fl. 2 Ob., 2 Clar., 2 Fag., 4 Cor., 2 Tr., 3 Trbni, Batt. & Archi" on top of a line, and below was "Viol. obbl., Harm. & Piano".  Like I said, some were missing.  They guy I got them from said he played reeds, he didn't say sax, so yes doubling was likely. 

Return to “Music, Concerts, and Recordings”