Counting rests in an audition context

ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

When playing an excerpt in an audition, is there some magic number of measures of rests where you can just stop and start the next section without counting? For example, I know you are supposed to count the 1 bar rests in tuba mirum with precision or get docked for having bad time. And I would assume that 10 bars of rests could be a simple stop and start. But what about a 3 or 4 bar rest? Should that be counted in time? For example, the David Concerto has a 4 bar rest in the first movement. Just wondering as I may have an actual audition coming up.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Ask the audition coordinator. For rests less than 5 bars, I'd keep the tempo. More than that, depends on the tempo. More than 10? Skip em.
ttf_Dombat

Post by ttf_Dombat »

Use your musicality. Panels (generally) want to appoint people rather than complain about whether a rest was counted out or not.

Ask yourself if the rest is part of the phrase or not, if it is like in Tuba Mirum or Till Eulenspiegel, count it out - the orchestra will be hearing their parts alongside and will like it. If it isn't, decide whether it is productive or counter-productive to spend the time counting it out.
If you do decide to cut a rest however be musical about it. It can be disconcerting sitting on a panel and someone cuts a rest putting your internal counting on an off-beat. If it is 10 bars, shorten it to two but stay in tempo.
In the case of David, count out the 4 bars but it doesn't bother me if before the cadenza or B section is shortend.

In any case be musical and don't be afraid to ask.

ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

If you know the part, sing it while waiting to come in. That'll let them know that you know the music and aren't just a mindless automaton hammering out notes on a page.
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

It would be fun to bring along a trained pony that will clomp out the time on one hoof and claim that it's a service animal.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Quote from: Exzaclee on Apr 28, 2017, 01:55PM That'll let them know that you know the music and aren't just a mindless automaton hammering out notes on a page.

But what if I am one?
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

Quote from: MikeBMiller on Apr 30, 2017, 07:14PMBut what if I am one?

Hey man, I don't judge... you be you and I'm sorry if I come across as an *** - but...

an automaton wouldn't respond that way.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Just messing with you Image

ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

i can't believe it *'d out "ass"
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »