Trombone as a hobby- Finding ways to play after college

ttf_djlovell

Post by ttf_djlovell »

I am about to graduate in a year with a degree in Engineering, and plan on doing Software full time. I have kept up with lessons and several Ensembles through my studies, and am dreading the day I won't be able to be in such groups regularly.

I swing like a lead brick and can't improvise to save my life...so hitting up the KC jazz scene isn't happening. How have hobby trombonists found fun ways to play after graduation??? Church? Municipal Band? (Done both) Friends? Please Share! Playing etude books solo every night is good practice, but making music with others is my favorite part of playing.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: djlovell on Apr 28, 2017, 01:17PMI am about to graduate in a year with a degree in Engineering, and plan on doing Software full time. I have kept up with lessons and several Ensembles through my studies, and am dreading the day I won't be able to be in such groups regularly.

I swing like a lead brick and can't improvise to save my life...so hitting up the KC jazz scene isn't happening. How have hobby trombonists found fun ways to play after graduation??? Church? Municipal Band? (Done both) Friends? Please Share! Playing etude books solo every night is good practice, but making music with others is my favorite part of playing.

I highlighted the word "etude", b/c I hate them and I hate playing them. There are some truly splendid pop/jazz play-along song books for trombone as well as Band-In-A-Box. I can have a small combo, a big band or a full orchestra backing me in my music studio anytime I want. They don't make mistakes and they patiently allow me to start over any time I want. They will play a backing track at a whisper or blow my windows out; whatever I want. I can play straight against them or improvise if I wish; they don't care what I do. Who could ask for more!

While I am involved in 4 groups myself, I don't need them to have fun; in fact - sometimes they are a drag. I'm seriously giving thought to dropping some of them.

So, join whatever group will have you if you want. But know that there are other ways to have fun with your horn as an artist within the privacy of your own home if you wish and if you can dig it. Some can't. Some must have social interaction to make them play. Unfortunately, I know all too many players who never pick up their horn unless it's for a rehearsal or gig. If that is you, then do some searches for groups. You can always drop out if you don't like a particular group.

But by all means, whatever you do, HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Geezer
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

Aside from the usual suspects of community bands and orchestras, which I have done in the past but don't pursue currently, something I enjoy doing by myself is small recording projects that I send to my friends, typically as a Christmas card. You can see some examples in the link in my signature.

Community bands and orchestras vary widely in their mission and quality. Some ensembles exist to accommodate everyone who wishes to play. That is perfectly valid.

Others aim so high and are so competitive to get into that you'd think there was money and careers on the line.

You have to find one fits your time and objectives.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

If you like jazz but can't improvise, consider taking a 3rd trombone chair in a community big band.  You will never be asked to take a chorus unless you want to, and you can listen and learn.

Kansas City should have all kinds of opportunities to play.  One way to get your feet wet is to ask at the local music store.  They usually know who is out there and who is looking for players.

See if you can find the list of Community Bands (I think it changed ownership since the last time I was looking).  It's alphabetical by name so you have to slog through the whole thing to find out who is in your neighborhood, but it's a great resource.

Playing or singing in Church can make some connections that may help you find your next gig.  Also look in the Arts section of the local paper.  Most groups tend to do their new member recruiting in the fall (for winter groups) and late spring (for summer groups).

Good luck.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

There are a fair number of community colleges that have evening "adult bands". Some are run pretty much as community bands, others are more like college wind symphonies - with all gradations in between.
ttf_LeoInFL

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

I recently learned that a local small college here in Orlando (not music-centered) has a regular need for amateur musicians/non-music majors to fill out their small orchestra each semester. They were set for trombones this semester but my friend passed my contact info to the director for any future openings.

I'm sure there are small colleges all over. You might give that a shot.

Good luck!
ttf_gregs70

Post by ttf_gregs70 »

All the above ideas I've tried, successfully.  Also try Craiglist, under "Community", look for "Musicians" and search for "trombone".  Unless you play reggae, nothing there in KC tonight. 
ttf_LowrBrass

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 28, 2017, 03:56PMSee if you can find the list of Community Bands (I think it changed ownership since the last time I was looking).  It's alphabetical by name so you have to slog through the whole thing to find out who is in your neighborhood, but it's a great resource.

http://www.community-music.info/commother.shtml

Whenever I'm looking for a new community band, I Ctrl + F that page to search for my state, take note of any groups that are a reasonable commute / look interesting, and reach out to them.

Don't worry about joining a bunch of ensembles all at once. After you've been playing in a group for a while and made some connections, if you're a decent player and good to work with, you'll likely start being invited into other (potentially more interesting) opportunities.

If not, if it's a dead end and you want more... Ctrl + F another group and try something else.
ttf_MTbassbone

Post by ttf_MTbassbone »

You have to know what you want.  That is very important.  If not you spend time traveling, practicing, rehearsing, and performing in a situation that is not fulfilling for you.  This can lead to dissatisfaction and frustration. I don't have any magic tips that will instantly get you gigs or anything.  In fact I am pretty bad at this.  If it were not for the people I know around me I would not be playing as much as I am.  Here is what I did within the last year to find more fulfilling playing opportunities.

1.  Decide what you want out of these opportunities.  Do I want to play classical music, jazz, etc?  Do I want to play in a big band, or combo? Wind Ensemble or Orchestra?  On an on.
2.  Be a self starter.  Create your opportunities.  Now I will be first to say this is not easy.  However, the great part about creating your playing opportunities is you are making the decisions or the group is making the decisions together.  This can take many shapes.  Something as simple as busking (if legal) as a Farmers Market, or as complex as commissioning a new piece of music for trombone and electronics with multimedia. 
3.  Go to concerts, art galleries, musicals, dance performances, see indy films in a theater, etc.  Be a member of the larger Arts community, and volunteer if you feel so inclined.  Seems simple right? This may give you an opportunity to meet and network with other people.  Sometimes meeting one person can open many doors, and sometimes that person is not a musician.  This can also open up your creativity too.  Maybe there is a jam session some where, and you could sit it or just listen.  I know you said jazz isn't your thing, but you will need network and communicate with many different types of people.
4.  Do a broad internet search to determine what groups are in the area.  Try to get the lay of the land.  This can be misleading, but it at least gives you a starting point.  If you want to play in an orchestra, then search "orchestra Kansas City", and see what results you get.  The same goes for band, chamber music, new music, etc.  See if any of the groups are seeking musicians, or if they have annual open auditions.  Pinpoint the groups that interest you, and contact them.  Politely introduce yourself, and let them know you are available. You don't necessarily need to send a resume unless they ask, but do provide your contact information.  Ask if you can audition to be on the sub list.
5. Take a few lessons with great musicians in your area.  Notice I said musicians, rather than trombonists.  Sometimes taking a lesson with someone that plays another instrument and is a great musician can give a different perspective.  Additionally, this give you an opportunity to meet someone new, network, and they get to hear you play.  Maybe they will need someone for a gig or as a sub.  This also keeps the learning cycle going.
6.  I am sure you a nice person, but this should go without saying.  Be a good human.  Be genuinely nice.  Flexible.  Be early. Pay attention.  It is some much more enjoyable to make art with people who are nice.  This is one of the first things people take note of.  First impressions count.
7.  Diversify.  I am going to be careful with this one.  If you play tenor trombone, maybe see if you can add bass trombone to your repertoire.   The reason I say be careful is because I often run into people who play 3+ instruments, and while they know how operate the machine the end result is far from ideal.   Personally, I play both tenor and bass trombones.  This will open up more opportunities.  In some of the places  I have lived if they find out you have and play bass trombone well you will never be bored.  Then you get to pick and choose what you want.
ttf_dj kennedy

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
 KC  prolly  several opportunities  ///maybe  an orchestra  --they sometimes  have  hard  time 
finding   players  ///junior  colleges  too //church ---pentecostal  --get  it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  duets  w  a bone  buddy   //maybe  christmas  time  playing  for the  red bucket --BEST OF ALL !!!!!

Quote from: BGuttman on Apr 28, 2017, 03:56PMIf you like jazz but can't improvise, consider taking a 3rd trombone chair in a community big band.  You will never be asked to take a chorus unless you want to, and you can listen and learn.

Kansas City should have all kinds of opportunities to play.  One way to get your feet wet is to ask at the local music store.  They usually know who is out there and who is looking for players.

See if you can find the list of Community Bands (I think it changed ownership since the last time I was looking).  It's alphabetical by name so you have to slog through the whole thing to find out who is in your neighborhood, but it's a great resource.

Playing or singing in Church can make some connections that may help you find your next gig.  Also look in the Arts section of the local paper.  Most groups tend to do their new member recruiting in the fall (for winter groups) and late spring (for summer groups).

Good luck.

ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

They're not for everyone, but some people find the Salvation Army brass bands musically and spiritually fulfilling...

There's probably one in the KC area.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

For fun and occasional profit, try finding some strong brass playing friends and start a brass quintet. I find quintet playing to be much more fun than concert band. You can usually find a church to hire you for Easter and/or Christmas and there are plenty of other gigs to be had if you hustle.
ttf_mwpfoot

Post by ttf_mwpfoot »

Start with a community band or two, go from there.

ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

There are plenty of opportunities to play here in our area, lots of community groups, concert bands, fire department sponsored marching bands, big bands.  There all fun and don't require improve chops to play in.  I play Bass bone in a couple different big bands, and don't get called upon to improve, your pretty safe on 3rd as well.  As long as one person in the section can do the improve solos big band will work for a non-improvising player.  I also have a great time playing Tuba in the towns concert band, you can also pick up an occasional pit orchestra gig (some pay some don't).  Lots of opportunities if you look hard enough.

ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

There are plenty of opportunities to play here in our area, lots of community groups, concert bands, fire department sponsored marching bands, big bands.  There all fun and don't require improve chops to play in.  I play Bass bone in a couple different big bands, and don't get called upon to improve, your pretty safe on 3rd as well.  As long as one person in the section can do the improve solos big band will work for a non-improvising player.  I also have a great time playing Tuba in the towns concert band, you can also pick up an occasional pit orchestra gig (some pay some don't).  Lots of opportunities if you look hard enough.

Return to “Musical Miscellany”