High school

ttf_ISAB

High school

Post by ttf_ISAB »

Hey guys,
I'll be going to high school in a few months!!!
I'm going to Adlai E Stevenson High School (in Illinois)

Any info you think will help me is fine

Edit: band or academic tips and tricks
ttf_BGuttman

High school

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Forum Member ewadie99 is at Stevenson.  He will be a Senior next year.
ttf_JimR

High school

Post by ttf_JimR »

Bruce - very nice.  You rock as a moderator. Cheers!
ttf_JasonDonnelly

High school

Post by ttf_JasonDonnelly »

Your academics will likely be much more difficult than what you studied in middle school/junior high, so you will probably want to adopt a few new habits. Different things work for different people, but I've found a few methods to be particularly useful.

-Write stuff down. Get a planner or calendar and write in every due date and deadline you receive in it. Take notes in class, even when the teacher doesn't specify it. If you write things down, you're more likely to remember them later.

-Don't be afraid to ask questions. Teachers are there to help you. If you ever feel unsure or uneasy about an assignment or a concept, just ask them. It also doesn't hurt to know a few older students (BGuttman pointed one out for you) to get some insight on teachers and classes.

-It looks like you're going into a school with a solid band program. That's great! Participate in music in your school in any way that you can. Practice time may be tough to schedule with increased workload and rehearsal, but even 15-20 minutes per day is worth doing.

Best of luck!
ttf_jalapeno

High school

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

stay academically eligible.

I had to re-take German 2, second semester (with my younger sister !)
and a history class (re-taken in the summer !)

I also missed a jazz competition my freshman year.

not fun at all...
ttf_EWadie99

High school

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Good luck with high school! Image 

This is where you can step up your A game and try your best in every class you are required to take in order to graduate.  Also, pick the band class(es) you want to take that you will eventually go into for college.  Also, save your Bach TB301 for marching band if you wish to do so and use your Xeno for wind ensemble or symphonic, or maybe use it for jazz on 3rd trombone part. Image  If you have questions definitely ask your teachers, counselling, upperclassmen, etc. to help you on your 4 year journey that is high school!

Once again, good luck!! Image Image   
ttf_ISAB

High school

Post by ttf_ISAB »

Quote from: BGuttman on Feb 23, 2017, 02:51PMForum Member ewadie99 is at Stevenson.  He will be a Senior next year.

I think EWadie99 goes to the Stevenson in Michigan
There are 2 Stevensons in the US
I'm going to the one in Lincolnshire, IL
ttf_BGuttman

High school

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Sorry.  There are probably more in the US, and especially in Illinois.  Look up Adlai E. Stevenson some time.  I remember when he ran for President against Dwight Eisenhower.
ttf_robcat2075

High school

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

-Do it like boot camp and decide "i'm going to learn this" if you don't think the class is useful.

-High school classes are mostly pretty easy which makes it hard to explain why you did poorly in one.

-Doing well in most classes is just about paying attention and doing the assignment the way the assignment is supposed to be done and on time.

-If you don't understand it, find someone who can explain it. Some teachers aren't good at it.

Quote from: BGuttman on Feb 24, 2017, 07:46AMSorry.  There are probably more in the US, and especially in Illinois.  Look up Adlai E. Stevenson some time.  I remember when he ran for President against Dwight Eisenhower.

And there have been several Adlai Stevensons  Image

ttf_ISAB

High school

Post by ttf_ISAB »

Quote from: robcat2075 on Feb 24, 2017, 07:52AM
And there have been several Adlai Stevensons  Image

This is the Stevenson that my high school is named after
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adlai_Stevenson_II
ttf_anonymous

High school

Post by ttf_anonymous »

If I could go back I would have made sure I always had a mouthpiece to buzz when walking in between classes. Also make sure not to skip class more than twice a week. If you want to make music a priority I would highly recommend being in high school choir AND band. Choir really helped develop my ear at a faster level than band did. Also the ladies are much better looking in choir than band usually Image
ttf_ISAB

High school

Post by ttf_ISAB »

Quote from: tromboli69 on Feb 28, 2017, 07:34PMIf I could go back I would have made sure I always had a mouthpiece to buzz when walking in between classes. Also make sure not to skip class more than twice a week. If you want to make music a priority I would highly recommend being in high school choir AND band. Choir really helped develop my ear at a faster level than band did. Also the ladies are much better looking in choir than band usually Image
I'll make sure to consider that Image
ttf_BGuttman

High school

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Walking and tooting in a High School corridor can be dangerous.  There are always a few bullies around who think it's fun to slap at the "dweeb" honking on a piece of metal.  Result: mouth injury or a dented shank.  You are the best judge if whether it's safe to buzz or not.

Just don't buzz when you are in class and the lesson is boring.  Nor should you text.  I think a lot of school buildings will screen out wireless phone signals so your ability to text may be quite limited (a good thing).
ttf_ISAB

High school

Post by ttf_ISAB »

Quote from: BGuttman on Mar 07, 2017, 09:24AMWalking and tooting in a High School corridor can be dangerous.  There are always a few bullies around who think it's fun to slap at the "dweeb" honking on a piece of metal.  Result: mouth injury or a dented shank.  You are the best judge if whether it's safe to buzz or not.

Just don't buzz when you are in class and the lesson is boring.  Nor should you text.  I think a lot of school buildings will screen out wireless phone signals so your ability to text may be quite limited (a good thing).
I probably won't buzz in the halls, but maybe joining the choir is a good idea Image
ttf_ISAB

High school

Post by ttf_ISAB »

Quote from: BGuttman on Mar 07, 2017, 09:24AMWalking and tooting in a High School corridor can be dangerous.  There are always a few bullies around who think it's fun to slap at the "dweeb" honking on a piece of metal.  Result: mouth injury or a dented shank.  You are the best judge if whether it's safe to buzz or not.

I probably won't buzz in the halls, but maybe joining the choir is a good idea Image

Return to “Schools, Colleges, and Conservatories”