Alessi Seminar 2017 Info Posted

ttf_Peter Ellefson

Post by ttf_Peter Ellefson »

Greetings and Happy New Year!

I am please to announce that information for the 2017 Alessi Seminar is now posted on a newly minted website:

http://www.alessiseminar.com

Info also available on The Alessi Seminar Facebook page.

I believe it to be the most important week in trombone for those who are serious about improvement. Yes, practicing is important...but what to practice? How to practice? How to play easier? How to listen in a section? What is a great sound? What are audition committees looking for? How can I be a more effective teacher? All of these and more will be dealt with at the Seminar. It is also a chance to meet and hear your competition and future colleagues in the business.
This event has put many careers in motion.

Any alums out there care to chime in?

Thanks. I look forward to meeting many of you in Eugene!

PE
ttf_MikeBMiller

Post by ttf_MikeBMiller »

Mr. Ellefson, I know it is a long way off, but do you know if the 2019 seminar will stay on the West Coast or move back East? This is one of my bucket list things to do, but having to get to Oregon adds about a grand to the cost. Thank you.
ttf_Peter Ellefson

Hi and thanks for your question.

I agree that it is certainly a bucket list item. That is a great way to put it.

Regarding the 2019 location, I have no idea. It happened 3 times in Nyack, 3 times in Albuquerque, 2 times in Tuscaloosa and this is the 2nd time in Eugene.
If I had to guess (and it is only a guess since we have not discussed 2019 at all), I would guess it will be in Eugene again in 2019. We will know more after the 2017 Seminar.

One thought:
Flying into Portland (PDX) and either renting a car, car pooling or taking a shuttle, will cut the airfare nearly in half. Flying into Eugene can get pricey. I seldom fly into Eugene (although it is a really easy little airport). The flight schedules and prices are much better going into PDX, which is about a 2-hour drive from Eugene.

Sorry to not be of more help about 2019.

PE

ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

If one is serious about trombone, one should not miss the opportunity to attend the Alessi seminar. I attended as an auditor in 2015 and I would have liked to go again this year. If I were to go again, I would:

1. Make sure I had some things ready to play, as there are opportunities to play for Joe, Peter, and Jon, and get their feedback, even for auditors.

2. Get copies of the pieces the fellows will be playing, know them, and bring the music to the master classes.

3. Make sure I brought my running gear.

Imaged

The campus is an absolute paradise, the town near the campus is cool, and the craft beer scene is spectacular. Edwards will likely have a whole bunch of horns to try. Maybe Christan will bring all his mouthpieces. A nice alternative to flying into Eugene would be to fly into Portland and then take the train up the Willamette valley to Eugene. 

The week changed my entire outlook.
ttf_MikeBMiller

Quote from: Peter Ellefson on Jan 05, 2017, 02:20PMHi and thanks for your question.

I agree that it is certainly a bucket list item. That is a great way to put it.

Regarding the 2019 location, I have no idea. It happened 3 times in Nyack, 3 times in Albuquerque, 2 times in Tuscaloosa and this is the 2nd time in Eugene.
If I had to guess (and it is only a guess since we have not discussed 2019 at all), I would guess it will be in Eugene again in 2019. We will know more after the 2017 Seminar.

One thought:
Flying into Portland (PDX) and either renting a car, car pooling or taking a shuttle, will cut the airfare nearly in half. Flying into Eugene can get pricey. I seldom fly into Eugene (although it is a really easy little airport). The flight schedules and prices are much better going into PDX, which is about a 2-hour drive from Eugene.

Sorry to not be of more help about 2019.

PE

Thank you. I am actually working on recordings to send in to apply as a participant or fellow. If by some miracle I make it, I will find the funds to get out there. But seeing the list of people that get selected for those classes make it seem unlikely that a middle aged weekend warrior could get in. But I have seen Rudy, so who knows!
ttf_Peter Ellefson

I have always been slightly worried about listing so many successful players who have attended the Alessi Seminar, as it can be a double-edged sword. On one hand we want to show how valuable the Seminar is to those aspiring to a musical career with their trombone. On the other hand, such a seemingly daunting list can scare people off, which of course we don't want. Frequently, there are quite impressive moments from the attendees, which then inspire all others to improve and/or re-think. Our foundational tenet is, "exchange of information." That exchange comes from the faculty to the attendees, the attendees to the faculty and the attendees to each other.

There are around 50 names listed on the homepage, yet over the years there have been over 500 students, players and teachers who have attended. Yes, very fine players come, but for every 1 of the 50 listed there are 9 or 10 who have attended merely for enjoyment and to learn about how to improve, ultimately leading to greater playing satisfaction and/or teaching effectiveness. The other interesting aspect to experience is how well a large group of trombone players mix. There is instant camaraderie and palpable excitement from the beginning.

Great for you to prepare and submit a recording. We always learn a huge amount once we actually record ourselves and listen with a discerning ear. Good luck in your preparation! Stay positive.

PE
ttf_Peter Ellefson

Hello all.

The Participant and Fellow classes at the 2017 Alessi Seminar have been selected and can be found here:

Our next project is invite as many people as possible to be a member of the Auditor class. We usually have dozens of Auditors. No audition is necessary and it is a stress-free way to experience the Alessi Seminar. Dr. Jonathan Whitaker, trombone professor at the University of Alabama (Roll Tide!) leads the Auditor class, which includes different topics each day as well as having a class with Joseph Alessi and a class with me. There is also an Auditor trombone choir which is always a great sounding group. I know there are people on TTF that have been Auditors (Participants and Fellows too, for that matter) and I ask you to chime in regarding your recollections/recommendations about the Alessi Seminar. It is an immensely valuable experience for all. Eugene is a wonderfully beautiful place in August and the University of Oregon does a great job of hosting.

I hope you will consider joining us as an Auditor.

Peter Ellefson

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Having been as both an Auditor (2003) and a Participant (2005) I can honestly say that the Alessi Seminar has had a tremendous impact on my career as a teacher!  I think the experience as an Auditor is unique in that you have access to all of the faculty for the entire event.  The way that the schedule is structured allows the Auditors to have the most complete experience offered at The Seminar. 

During the Auditor specific classes we have and will cover some of the topics listed below...

-daily routines
-warm up vs. practice
-the use of technology in the practice room and/or applied studio
-careers as a trombonist other than playing in an orchestra
-chamber music skills
-section playing skills
-how to properly teach a beginner
-time management skills
-work ethic and how to remain motivated
-health and wellness as it relates to brass playing
-how to be a successful member of a collegiate trombone studio

In addition....everyone wanting to play in the masterclasses has the opportunity....often multiple times for me.  Each Auditor wishing to play for Mr. Alessi and Mr. Ellefson also has that opportunity. 

I would encourage any trombonist at any level to consider joining us this summer!  Whether you are looking to work on your playing, develop your teaching or just need some inspiration...this is the event to get it all!

I look forward to seeing you all in Eugene! 

Jon Whitaker

ttf_Peter Ellefson

Hello All,

I am writing to extend a final invitation to be a member of the 2017 Alessi Seminar Auditor class (no audition necessary), led by Dr. Jonathan Whitaker from the University of Alabama. This August, the Seminar takes place at the University of Oregon, in Eugene, OR. There is an airport in Eugene, with a shuttle to the U of O. A less expensive flight can be obtained by flying into Portland (PDX) but you will then need to find your way to Eugene…about 2 hours south.

The schedule of fees can be found here:

http://www.alessiseminar.com/styled-7/

If interested, please contact the Seminar administrator, Thor Mikesell, ASAP, as the deadline is July 1:

[url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

The phrase I coined 10 years ago about the Alessi Seminar is, “The most important week in trombone.” I still believe it and hope you will consider attending. I remember giving a prominent trombonist the advice a few years ago when they expressed concern about being able to afford the Seminar…I replied. “You cannot afford NOT to attend.” He is now employed as a prominent professor and player.

The Seminar begins with a recital from Mr. Alessi…which in 2015 was astonishing. I have heard him play many, many times and the recital he played in 2015 was a spectacle. 2 full hours of virtuosity. Really, just jaw dropping.

The main site is here:

Anyway…I just wanted to extend a final invitation to you to come to Eugene and rub elbows with like-minded people and to live trombone and music for a week, in a beautiful setting.

PE
ttf_johnstad

Post by ttf_johnstad »

If I may chime in...

I had a great time as an auditor 2 years ago. It was a fantastic and inspirational experience for me. Being around so many amazing musicians really inspired me.

Hope to see you all there!
ttf_MikeBMiller

I would love to, but travel pushes the cost north of $2K. I should have gone when it was in Alabama.
ttf_MikeBMiller

I would love to, but travel pushes the cost north of $2K. I should have gone when it was in Alabama.

Return to “Schools, Colleges, and Conservatories”