Trombone position at Arizona

ttf_puma

Post by ttf_puma »

I just saw this posting for Visitng Assistant Professor of Trombone at the University of Arizona.
Are they expanding the department? Is Tom Ervin moving on?

http://chronicle.com/jobs/id.php?id=0000495750-01&pg=e

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

It's a one year position. Perhaps Mr. Ervin is taking a sabbatical.
ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Tom Ervin did announce his retirement recently.
Gives him more time to play what he wants.

Not sure if it's an interim position or not.

Eric

ttf_slideorama

Post by ttf_slideorama »

2 words.

Joe Alessi.

You didn't hear it from me!
ttf_bonearzt

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Who?? What??  8P

ASU in Tempe tried to get him there last year.
Not sure what went wrong.

That would be cool for Tucson & AZ.

Eric

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

As a semi-native Tucsonian and a trombonist, my vote is strongly going for Mike Becker. I love his teaching style and his resume is incredible. I personally have always chosen him over Dr. Ervin just on personal preference. I really hope he wins the NYPO job, but if he doesn't, then the UofA job. He has been working on his masters from ASU just for this. If anyone is interested in more info on him check it out on his webpage:

beckbone.com

-Drew
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I drove down to Tucson a few years back and took a lesson from Professor Tom Ervin, and I often listen to his CD "I'll Be Around".

Tom Ervin made quite an impression on me.  I found him a bit intimidating though he was overall kindly and genteel.  He challenged me to learn to play lots of tunes in all keys, by ear (or "by brain").  I think that is a wonderful thing to encourage musicians to do.  His published body of work is small but of a high quality.

He and Ralph Sauer are both in AZ now.  I'll cross my fingers and hope they both move closer to Phoenix!  I'd love to take lessons from and/or play in ensembles with these two masters.

Say what, Joe Alessi?  In MY town?  Now THAT would be sweet!  Joe, Ralph, Tom...hmmm, we'd have more than our share of top cats in sunny old AZ!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: BassAZ on Mar 04, 2007, 07:45PMmy vote is strongly going for Mike Becker.
I've had the very good fortune to have known Mike, and to have been able to play with him, just having fun (quartets, trios, and duets), and on gigs. Mike is an amazing player and musician, and a great guy. He's got probably one of the hugest, most incredibly rich sounds I've ever heard (It's kind of like being hit by a big, lush, very intense wall of sound!), and he sounds as good on Bass Trombone as he does on Tenor. And yes, his resume is quite impressive.

The best thing about Mike, though, is that he's just very real. He's a nice guy and always treated me with the utmost respect, not only as a musician, but as a human being. It doesn't get much better than that.
ttf_faskissimo

Post by ttf_faskissimo »

Quote from: BobCochran on Mar 05, 2007, 02:03PM
He and Ralph Sauer are both in AZ now.
Is Mr. Sauer there permanently?  It would be ALOT easier to go to AZ than Los Angeles for a lesson if that was the case...
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have also heard the Joe Alessi rumor (I auditioned for ASU a couple months ago).  As many awesome brass players - (Hickman, Sheridan, etc) do, when the time comes, they want to retire and teach in a quieter neighborhood.  So I brought it up to a grad student friend of mine.  Rumor has it (as was stated earlier, you didn't hear it from me), he was asking for more money than even David Hickman makes, and ASU - although a fairly well-off public school - wasn't going to fork it up.

It would be awesomely outrageous if he did teach there, but I don't think it's happening any time soon.
ttf_john jenkins

Post by ttf_john jenkins »

Moises Paeiwonsky, a 2nd year Ph.D conducting student at the University of Florida, has been awarded the position of trombone professor faculty at the University of Arizona, temporarily filling in Tom Ervin's position.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Heck yes, Mr. P

ttf_john jenkins

Post by ttf_john jenkins »

Quote from: LilTrombonista on Apr 30, 2007, 10:25AMHeck yes, Mr. P

hey mary, didn't know you were on here.
ttf_RGbasstrb

Post by ttf_RGbasstrb »

MOISES MOISES MOISES......

I heard you are real good. Can you even play a high B flat???

GO BLUE
ttf_ParLawGod

Post by ttf_ParLawGod »

Quote2 words.

Joe Alessi.

You didn't hear it from me!
I've heard the same rumors (can't say from who, never know who'll be lurking here at the forum)...not exactly sure how much merit there is to it...
ttf_JBledsoe

Post by ttf_JBledsoe »

Quote from: ParLawGod on May 17, 2007, 02:59PMI've heard the same rumors (can't say from who, never know who'll be lurking here at the forum)...not exactly sure how much merit there is to it...

I believe people are getting mixed up. Those rumors are about Arizona State University, not University of Arizona. Just thought I would clear that up. You can never be sure who is reading the forum, and I am not one to spread rumor. I just wanted to interject that the particular rumor in question is about a different school.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: john jenkins on Apr 30, 2007, 11:04AMhey mary, didn't know you were on here.

haha yeah, me neither.

anywho, congrats to mr. paeiwonsky on this one.   Image
ttf_mpaiewonsky

Post by ttf_mpaiewonsky »

This thread pops up on my radar every once in a while and gets me every time. Even 10 years later, still cracks me up! Thankful for my friends/supporters!  Image
ttf_mpaiewonsky

Post by ttf_mpaiewonsky »

This thread pops up on my radar every once in a while and gets me every time. Even 10 years later, still cracks me up! Thankful for my friends/supporters!  Image

Return to “Schools, Colleges, and Conservatories”