Senior Year of High School: The Final Chapter

ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Well guys it's been a while but I'm making a update on my high school situation and things are actually going well! First quarter is almost ending so I thought I would show you guys my grades so far! Image

1: Health and Wellness B
2: Jazz Band A
3: English 12 A-
4: AP Computer Science A B-
5: AP Calculus BC C-
6: Tutorial A

My AP Calc BC grade maybe low but hopefully I'll go up if I do good on my advanced derivatives quiz.  Overall, I'm having an awesome year and am really inspired! Image Image
ttf_ddickerson

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

Keep up the good work!
ttf_Peter Eiden

Post by ttf_Peter Eiden »

Good job Ethan -- keep it up!  And good luck with your school applications!
ttf_Steven

Post by ttf_Steven »

Looks good.  I forget, does your school also offer Calculus AB or is BC the only AP Calculus offered?
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Quote from: Steven on Oct 24, 2017, 10:04AMLooks good.  I forget, does your school also offer Calculus AB or is BC the only AP Calculus offered?
Actually my school does also offer Calculus AB and there's two class periods of it 3rd and 6th.

My quiz result came in for Calc BC and I got 4 wrong out of 15 which is at about 73% and I actually did better than most of the entire class.  I also took to tests in the same class and I'm currently awaiting the results but I found out I got a 92% on my unit 2 health test which is 4 wrong out of 50 and I had a quiz in that class so am also waiting for the results.  All in all, this is without a doubt my best year academically! Image
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Well I had my results come in AP Calc and I got all the multiple choice right but most of the free response wrong.  Free response is what I always struggle with (written form) and as a result I ended up getting a 60% on the calculator portion and a 52% on the no calculator portion.  How can I improve my skills in comprehension of what the free response is saying.  I know how to do the calculus but can't really translate it from written to showing work.  So my grade will probably go to a D+ but other than that, my grades are still pretty good!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

One of the big issues with Calculus is that it's a tool for solving problems and we need to learn how to interpret the problems to formulate the solution.

I see a lot of this with Asian computer programmers who seem to be absolute whizzes at writing code but have no idea or interest in what it actually does or whether it does anything useful.  When these types of coders are given changes to the basic intent of the program they are lost.

Is your problem that you don't understand how the word problem relates to the calculus solution required?  Often these problems are Physics (generally mechanics).  Do you know the Physics involved and the calculus solutions required?  Are you a non-native English speaker who doesn't understand that well?  Please don't get insulted -- I'm only trying to help.

You seem to be unable to pierce this barrier between the word problems and the calculus solutions.  I hope you can find appropriate help.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

One of the big issues with Calculus is that it's a tool for solving problems and we need to learn how to interpret the problems to formulate the solution.

I see a lot of this with Asian computer programmers who seem to be absolute whizzes at writing code but have no idea or interest in what it actually does or whether it does anything useful.  When these types of coders are given changes to the basic intent of the program they are lost.

Is your problem that you don't understand how the word problem relates to the calculus solution required?  Often these problems are Physics (generally mechanics).  Do you know the Physics involved and the calculus solutions required?  Are you a non-native English speaker who doesn't understand that well?  Please don't get insulted -- I'm only trying to help.

You seem to be unable to pierce this barrier between the word problems and the calculus solutions.  I hope you can find appropriate help.

Return to “Schools, Colleges, and Conservatories”