Bass Trombonists with College Teaching Positions

ttf_Etshinn

Post by ttf_Etshinn »

Hello,

I'm working on some research for a personal project and am trying to find out all of the bass trombonists in the USA with college teaching positions.  I've put a lot of time into this so far but I'm sure there are a lot out there who I have missed.  I'm turning to the TF hive mind for some help if you know someone I've missed, please comment below.

Trombonists should either self-identify as a bass trombonist or perform at least 50% on bass trombone.

College positions can be any combination of tenor/bass/jazz/chamber as long as trombone is in the mix.  Low Brass or All Brass positions are fine.

Thanks!

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I believe Tom Matta is also at DePaul.

Gabe Langfur also teaches at University of Rhode Island (and I believe also at Boston Conservatory)  I'm sure he can confirm.
ttf_Peter Eiden

Post by ttf_Peter Eiden »

Neat list, Erik.  Just a minor school name correction from me --

William & Mary's official name is The College of William & Mary.  (8 semesters of practice writing it on tuition checks!)

While it is indeed a research university, it doesn't carry University in its name.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm at the University of Puget Sound and Seattle Pacific University.
ttf_Etshinn

Post by ttf_Etshinn »

Thanks Gents, list has been updated

Ben Griffin is the new faculty at URI as of Spring 2015.
ttf_jwebster

Post by ttf_jwebster »

you have Cleveland and Cincinnati crossed. Pete is in Cincinnati, Randy is in Cleveland
ttf_Hammer Bro

Post by ttf_Hammer Bro »

For the curious, Nick Schwartz (acting Bass for NYC Met Opera, Bass for NYC Ballet) is at Mannes as well.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

You can add:
Len Wicks; Concordia University Irvine
Robert Soto; Fullerton College

Another bit of data that might be meaningful (or at least interesting) would be the degree of specialization. Some schools have someone who is listed specifically as "bass trombone" (with someone else handling tenor trombone). At others, the person is a bass trombonist but they also teach tenor (sometimes also euphonium and maybe even tuba).
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: JohnL on Sep 29, 2017, 01:34PMAnother bit of data that might be meaningful (or at least interesting) would be the degree of specialization. Some schools have someone who is listed specifically as "bass trombone" (with someone else handling tenor trombone). At others, the person is a bass trombonist but they also teach tenor (sometimes also euphonium and maybe even tuba).
This is important. I could add a bunch of schools to your list but I'm not sure if these teachers would qualify or not based off of what JohnL brought up.
ttf_Etshinn

Post by ttf_Etshinn »

Thanks everyone!  This list has grown to over 100 positions!

To clarify, I'm looking for bass trombonists (people who self-identify as bass trombonists or perform on bass trombone for at least 50% of the time in any setting) who teach applied trombone at colleges.  Any combination of tenor/bass/jazz/chamber.  If they teach all brass or low brass (trombone/euph/tuba) that is all fine as long as trombone is in the mix.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Post by ttf_Gabe Langfur »

Quote from: BGuttman on Sep 29, 2017, 09:19AMI believe Tom Matta is also at DePaul.
Last I knew, yes.

QuoteGabe Langfur also teaches at University of Rhode Island (and I believe also at Boston Conservatory)  I'm sure he can confirm.

I gave up the URI job a few years ago, and I'm not on the BoCo faculty. Bass trombonist Angel Subero teachers there and also now at Berklee. I am also on the faculty of Wellesley College, though I don't have any students right now.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Alan Carr teaches at Bates College in Maine.
ttf_Gabe Langfur

Curtis Olson is not completely retired; he's now on the faculty at Bemidji State in Minnesota.

Frank Gazda at Delaware State University.

Lucas Kaspar at Muskingum University and Ohio Wesleyan.

Edward Huttlin at Concordia College, Moorhead MN.
ttf_Etshinn

Post by ttf_Etshinn »

Thanks Gabe!  Some of those I "knew" and forgot to transfer to this post, but definitely some ones I missed.
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

Jeffrey Gray bass trombonist with the Rochester Philharmonic maintains Studios at Ithaca College in Ithaca NY and Roberts Wesleyan College in Rochester NY (he also teaches at the Eastman Community School of Music (not at the college level),
Mark Kellogg Principal Trombonist with the Rochester Philharmonic is the head of the Trombone and Euphonium Department at the Eastman School of Music. 
Larry Zalkind is associate professor of Trombone at Eastman School of Music. 
ttf_NateR

Post by ttf_NateR »

Jack Schatz is at Purchase College (State University of New York at Purchase is the technical name I think)

ttf_bassboneman

Post by ttf_bassboneman »

Quote from: NateR on Sep 30, 2017, 06:44AMJack Schatz is at Purchase College (State University of New York at Purchase is the technical name I think)

Amen, Nate!
ttf_Exzaclee

Post by ttf_Exzaclee »

I believe Wayne Clark is teaching at Mountain View College (near Dallas, TX I think.)

John Allen, who is primarily a tenor player, is teaching at Oklahoma City University, but every gig I play with him he's on bass so I don't know, maybe he makes your 50% requirement? Up to you whether you want to include him or not. He is a fine bass trombonist, I just don't know if he qualifies for your list.
ttf_Micah Everett

Post by ttf_Micah Everett »

I'm not sure I qualify for the list either. Some years I have been about 50% bass, other years more like 20%. It just depends. I've always considered my place in the profession, both as performer and as teacher, to be that of an alto/tenor/bass/euph/tuba doubler, with the "primary instrument" floating back and forth between tenor and bass as need and opportunity dictate.
ttf_Etshinn

Post by ttf_Etshinn »

Micah, I'll leave you on if that's okay.  I own your doubling book, bass trombone solo CD and bass edition of the Galliard Sonatas.  Great stuff!
ttf_Micah Everett

Fine with me. I certainly can't imagine my career now without bass trombone being a big part of it. I made that solo CD and the Galliard sonatas edition because I thought they were needed. (And also because I wanted tenure and they said "record a solo CD if you want tenure.") My next album, if it ever happens, will probably be a tenor/euphonium album.
ttf_Micah Everett

Fine with me. I certainly can't imagine my career now without bass trombone being a big part of it. I made that solo CD and the Galliard sonatas edition because I thought they were needed. (And also because I wanted tenure and they said "record a solo CD if you want tenure.") My next album, if it ever happens, will probably be a tenor/euphonium album.

Return to “Schools, Colleges, and Conservatories”