transfer options in California BM

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hello, everyone.

I'm currently going to enter my freshman year at the California Institute of the Arts. My only problem is that I don't want to accumulate 4 years worth of debt at the school, so I'm currently looking for other college options with good trombone teachers in California schools (including UCs and Cal States) for my second year. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

Thanks !
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

I've spent my whole study progression trying to find ways of making it affordable.... It's tough.

I'm just about to start studying at the Colburn School in California where Mark Lawrence is the primary teacher. It's a pretty fantastic deal, they cover all tuition plus room and board so no major fees. You do need to pay several thousands of dollars worth of insurances, but I haven't been able to find any institute in America more affordable. Definitely worth checking out Colburn.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Well... what kind of music do you play? Are you straight classical? Jazz? All around LA cat? Who do you want to study with?

ttf_mbarbier

Post by ttf_mbarbier »

What's your major at CalArts? I'm under the impression that we have no incoming trombone majors, so just curious. There's a shortage of that there at the moment (currently 1 when there are normally 4-6), so, as far as I understand, there are better chances at more substantial financial aid to try and increase enrollment.

UCLA has an excellent trombone teacher in Jim Miller. Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Long Beach, and North Ridge all have excellent trombone departments. Eric Starr down at San Diego State is building a great studio as well. The University of the Redlands also has an excellent faculty.
ttf_JMay

Post by ttf_JMay »

I'm mainly classical but I do have experience playing Jazz since I played in my High School Big Band for 3 years.
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: mbarbier on Aug 08, 2017, 08:41PMCal State Fullerton, Cal State Long Beach, and North Ridge all have excellent trombone departments. Eric Starr down at San Diego State is building a great studio as well.The Cal State system isn't as affordable as it once was, but it's still less expensive than most of the alternatives (unless said alternatives offer substantial financial aid).
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Quote from: mbarbier on Aug 08, 2017, 08:41PMCal State Fullerton, Cal State Long Beach, and North Ridge all have excellent trombone departments. Eric Starr down at San Diego State is building a great studio as well.The Cal State system isn't as affordable as it once was, but it's still less expensive than most of the alternatives (unless said alternatives offer substantial financial aid).

Return to “Schools, Colleges, and Conservatories”