Going Into College

ttf_anonymous

Going Into College

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I just graduated from high school and I'm about to start my collegiate music career at Baldwin Wallace University/Conservatory as a Music Ed major. Rick Stout of the Cleveland Orchestra is the trombone professor there. I'm excited to get going, but I feel like I'm going in blind. I have no clue what I need to prepare for ensemble auditions, no clue what books I should get before starting, what books I should have already taken a look at, what excerpts I should be familiar with, etc. Can anyone fill me in as to what I should work on or purchase before going to school? I've talked to my lesson teacher and he knows about as much as I do about this. I've been working on the Rochut, Tyrell, and Kopprach books.
ttf_trombonemetal

Going Into College

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

I would contact Prof. Stout and ask him.
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Going Into College

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

You're going there to learn. If you already knew everything, why go to school? The professor should be able to give you his syllabus and 4 year plan ahead of time.

All you need to worry about is staying plastic/malleable. Practice as much as you can, but focus on fundamentals! Your teacher will love you for both of those things.
ttf_mbarbier

Going Into College

Post by ttf_mbarbier »

I studied with Mr Stout for my undergrad when he was teaching at CIM- he's a fantastic teacher. He'll outline clearly what you need and what is expected when the year starts. His teaching has a solid focus on Rochut and Kopprach, so you've already got plenty to get started with. Your first lesson will just be getting to know your playing and outlining fundamental routines and expectations. It doesn't matter what you bring- just bring something that is a clear picture of how you play.

If memory serves we did Kopprach #3 for about my first two months focusing on getting everything just so. Those first few lessons are still my daily foundation 14 years later.

re auditions: just bring something you play well that represents what you can do. A very well played etude or two can show that off as well as a concerto or excerpts. don't stress about what is played (starting college has enough of that anyway!), just focus on playing it well.

ttf_mbarbier

Going Into College

Post by ttf_mbarbier »

I studied with Mr Stout for my undergrad when he was teaching at CIM- he's a fantastic teacher. He'll outline clearly what you need and what is expected when the year starts. His teaching has a solid focus on Rochut and Kopprach, so you've already got plenty to get started with. Your first lesson will just be getting to know your playing and outlining fundamental routines and expectations. It doesn't matter what you bring- just bring something that is a clear picture of how you play.

If memory serves we did Kopprach #3 for about my first two months focusing on getting everything just so. Those first few lessons are still my daily foundation 14 years later.

re auditions: just bring something you play well that represents what you can do. A very well played etude or two can show that off as well as a concerto or excerpts. don't stress about what is played (starting college has enough of that anyway!), just focus on playing it well.

Return to “Schools, Colleges, and Conservatories”