Brevard Music Center 2018

ttf_Dan Satterwhite

Post by ttf_Dan Satterwhite »

Hi Folks:

With the application deadline about two weeks away, I would like to remind everyone of the extraordinary performance and educational opportunities available at Brevard Music Center this summer. This six week long intensive program includes orchestral and wind ensemble performance, chamber music, brass choir, trombone choir, and private lessons.  We accept students by competitive audition, ages 14-29.

Low Brass faculty is David L. Jackson, trombone professor at the University of Michigan, Aubrey Foard, tubist of the Charlotte Symphony, and myself.

As usual, the orchestral repertoire is exceptional.  College trombonists will rotate in and out of the faculty orchestra as well as play each week in the college orchestra. High school trombonists play in the high school orchestra and wind ensemble every week.  Orchestral repertoire this summer includes:

BARTÓK Concerto for Orchestra
BERG Violin Concerto
BEETHOVEN Symphony No. 6
BERLIOZ Roman Carnival Overture
BRAHMS Symphony No. 2
BERNSTEIN Chichester Psalms
MAHLER Adagio from Symphony No. 10
BERNSTEIN Symphony No. 2 'The Age of Anxiety'
STRAUSS Also sprach Zarathustra
BRAHMS Academic Festival Overture
TCHAIKOVSKY Symphony No. 4
BERNSTEIN Overture to Candide
BERNSTEIN Fancy Free: Three Dance Variations
BERNSTEIN Three Dance Episodes from On the Town
BERNSTEIN Symphonic Suite from On the Waterfront
ELGAR Enigma Variations
ELGAR Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1
MILLS Concerto for Violin, Rock Band, and String Orchestra
BERNSTEIN West Side Story (film with live orchestra)
TCHAIKOVSKY Romeo and Juliet Overture-Fantasy
HIGDON Concerto 4-3 (with Time for Three)
RESPIGHI Roman Festivals
MUSSORGSKY Pictures at an Exhibition
TCHAIKOVSKY 1812 Overture
RESPIGHI Pines of Rome
HOLST The Planets

and a full schedule of wind ensemble repertoire.

Students will also have the opportunity to work with world class conductors including Keith Lockhart, JoAnn Faletta, Sebastian Lang-Lessing, Mattias Bamert, Rune Bergmann, Daniel Hege, and Kenneth Lam.

A summer at Brevard can be a pivotal moment in the development of an aspiring professional trombonist.  We count many successful professional players and teachers among our alumni, including Charles Vernon (Chicago Symphony), Steve Norrell (Metropolitan Opera), Blair Bollinger (Philadelphia Orchestra), Jamie Box (Montreal Symphony), George Curran (New York Philharmonic), Sam Barlow (United States Marine Band) Christine Mounger and Will Timmons (United States Air Force Band)

I encourage you (or your students) to apply for what promises to be a really great summer of music making.  All information can be found at www.brevardmusic.org and the application and audition process is completely online. Applicants may upload their audition via audio files or a YouTube video. Generous scholarships are available. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions about the program.

Dan Satterwhite
Artist Faculty, Brevard Music Center
Associate Professor of Trombone, Lynn Conservatory of Music

ttf_Ryebone

Post by ttf_Ryebone »

Thank you Dan for this post. The Brevard Music program delivers way out of their town sized weight class. This last summer I attended a student/faculty brass recital that knocked my socks off. Jamie Hafner, allegedly retired, condensed and distilled an evening of brass music worth traveling great distances to witness.  I have lived in the Brevard zip code for less than a year now and I am impressed with the abundance of above average trombone players that populate this region. Playing in a community band is often more community than band but locally I look forward to playing in a section that not only plays well but is warm and welcoming.  This summer I will be a presenter at the ITF addressing the topic of Movement and Exercise for Trombone Players. I hope to not only provide some insight into performing with less physical issues often related to playing but suggest that educators consider incorporating a proper physical conditiong track to the  syllabus. This potentially would  keep the young player as well as the professional moving freely with regards to performance demands.  Dan, I would be happy to present my workshop in Brevard if you think there is an interest.                                                                           
ttf_Dan Satterwhite

That sounds great! Please PM me details, and Imwill float the idea up the ladder!
ttf_Dan Satterwhite

That sounds great! Please PM me details, and Imwill float the idea up the ladder!

Return to “Schools, Colleges, and Conservatories”