Need help. Too high for this amateur

ttf_CharlieB

Post by ttf_CharlieB »

I'm just a bass clef player; no background is music theory or composition.
I have some play along CD/book sets of solos that are written way too high for me to play. Many different keys. I can play them down a full octave, but that's too low.
Is it possible to lower the arrangements by less than an octave while keeping the same key? I'd like to save the CD's, as they are quite good.
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

In audacity, you could reduce the speed of the tracks by an amount proportional the key you want them in. I believe there actually is a setting that you can use to put the track in whatever key you want, so long as you know the starting key. I've never used it, so I have no idea how good it is, but probably worth a shot. Anything else is going to sound odd because of the way keys work.
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: CharlieB on Nov 17, 2016, 06:46PMIs it possible to lower the arrangements by less than an octave while keeping the same key? I'd like to save the CD's, as they are quite good.

By definition, any arrangement lowered by less than an octave would be in a different key.  So, no.

You could import the CDs into a musical editing program, and change their pitch by a fixed amount downwards.  You would then have to rewrite your parts to match.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Audacity works well for that.. after you figure it out.  Change the speed or key independently, it doesn't have to slow down for a lower key.

Rewriting it yourself in a new key will teach you some theory.   Or playing it by ear in a new key.  Both are very useful learning experiences.
ttf_CharlieB

Post by ttf_CharlieB »

Wow! Super prompt responses.
So, I can rewrite the music in a comfortable key, then use Audacity to change the key of the recorded accompaniment....... Awesome !!!

Many thanks to all for the help.
ttf_CharlieB

Post by ttf_CharlieB »

Wow! Super prompt responses.
So, I can rewrite the music in a comfortable key, then use Audacity to change the key of the recorded accompaniment....... Awesome !!!

Many thanks to all for the help.

Return to “Composition, Arranging, and Theory”