The 5 Stages of an Electronic Music Producer

ttf_Andrew Meronek

Post by ttf_Andrew Meronek »

Not normal Trombone Forum fare, but I happened on this little gem of an article and I think it's pretty good:

http://edmprod.com/5-stages-electronic-music-producer/

Does anyone here compose EDM?
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

I've just dabbled at the VERY top layer of EDM, but I've got a number of good friends who are deep into it (one of them being the prolific K-391 from Norway).
I think something I appreciate the most about EDM is that one CAN master it in a relatively short amount of time with critical listening, imitation, and practice. Its simple easy to be one's own teacher, or at least explore what other have done without sitting down in a class with necessarily and specific goal. And on top of that, there are LOADS of communities out there for people to exchange ideas and encourage each other to new milestones.
That's the sort of thing I find that makes other genres (and skills - composing in general, music performance on an instrument) a LOT more difficult to "break into" if one ever wants to be any good.
Can't forget that, even with awesome resources like these forums and YouTube and stuff, it's tough to really feel like a unified community like the EDM guys can seem. Maybe the guys doing EDM, being quite a bit younger in average age than the comparably highly-hailed counterparts of instrumental performance virtuosity, are simply better at creating a net presence and 'pull'/'draw' that appeals to "their people" - the ones who want to follow what they're doing and perhaps dabble themselves.

I'm not great at articulating my thoughts, maybe there's something to mine from this.
Lemee actually read the full article now  Image Image
ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

EDM = ?

electronic dance music?
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Quote from: robcat2075 on Jul 09, 2017, 09:20PMEDM = ?

electronic dance music?

Yes.

Electronic music includes way more than EDM, but it's a popular destination.

Anyway, the concepts in the article apply outside EDM.
ttf_Andrew Meronek

Quote from: robcat2075 on Jul 09, 2017, 09:20PMEDM = ?

electronic dance music?

Yes.

Electronic music includes way more than EDM, but it's a popular destination.

Anyway, the concepts in the article apply outside EDM.

Return to “Composition, Arranging, and Theory”