Bass Trombone Parts in 19th Century American Compositions

ttf_MrPillow

Post by ttf_MrPillow »

I am on the hunt for any and all pieces written in the United States during the 19th century that have an explicit bass trombone part. Any genre, any type, if you are familiar with one please let me know.

Cheers!  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Very unusual to see a part specifically for "bass trombone" in the 19th Century (at least in American music).  Most music was scored for 2 Bb tenors and Bb bass (as in saxhorns).  The Tenor and Bass had the same range, were all in Bb, and all were expected to have only 3 valves.

Often the Bb Bass part would be similar to a tuba part.

I catalogged some 1300 pieces of music going back to the 1870s (oldest copyright was 1876).  I also played Civil War music both on modern instruments and on Period instruments.  No true Bass Trombone parts.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Very unusual to see a part specifically for "bass trombone" in the 19th Century (at least in American music).  Most music was scored for 2 Bb tenors and Bb bass (as in saxhorns).  The Tenor and Bass had the same range, were all in Bb, and all were expected to have only 3 valves.

Often the Bb Bass part would be similar to a tuba part.

I catalogged some 1300 pieces of music going back to the 1870s (oldest copyright was 1876).  I also played Civil War music both on modern instruments and on Period instruments.  No true Bass Trombone parts.

Return to “History of the Trombone”