Free dixieland trombone solos

ttf_robbo

Post by ttf_robbo »

Hi everyone,
I've posted a couple of solos to try out from a new book that I've been putting together for a while.
There's pdfs with a jazzed up melody, notated solos,a backing track by a live dixie band, and also tracks with the lead line included if u like hearing how it goes.
There's a beginner and an advanced level solo in the free download. The latter is built around lots of lines used by great dixie bone players.
Anyway,try them for free and would love feedback.

http://pigletmusic.com/product/free-dixieland-trombone-solos/

Rob
ttf_robbo

Post by ttf_robbo »

ps, there's a small "snippit" on jazz lick of the week #12, but the download (in the main post) contains more music and tracks, and u can download it to your computer rather than having to open up the page all the time.

Here's JLOTW#12 anyway to get a taste (but worth the little extra time to get the full download -plus an extra tune too ☺).

http://pigletmusic.com/jazz-lick-of-the-week-12/

Rob
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Thanks Rob!
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

Thanks Rob, that's a good start for novices in impro on trombone like me  Image
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

No it's not. There's no musical notation and there aren't nearly enough notes.

...Geezer
ttf_bonenick

Post by ttf_bonenick »

I haven't gone through, just played few bars Image If I decide that I really need something more, I will have to buy a book or something...or just starting to transcribe stuff from the net  Image
ttf_robbo

Post by ttf_robbo »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 23, 2017, 07:10AMNo it's not. There's no musical notation and there aren't nearly enough notes.

...Geezer

Hi Geezerhorn,

Sorry, what do you mean? It's all notated.

As to not enough notes, you're obviously a pretty strong player and would not benefit from the books. There's a lot of books out there and a vast level of players. This book will not suit everyone, as with any publication.
Offering free tunes and backing tracks offers a very good indication of the contents of the book with the aim to remove any deception, so I think it's a bit unfair to criticise it.

Thank you very much however to those who have already downloaded the samples, and those who have already purchased the book/s so soon after its release. I hope you enjoy it.

Rob
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 23, 2017, 07:10AMNo it's not. There's no musical notation and there aren't nearly enough notes.

...Geezer
I listened to your rendition of "You Are So Beautiful" and I'm convinced you're missing several dozen notes. Image
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: BillO on Mar 23, 2017, 07:38AMI listened to your rendition of "You Are So Beautiful" and I'm convinced you're missing several dozen notes. Image

Thank you for your un-asked for critique. lol

What notes were they, by-the-way? Show me the notes!  Image

...Geezer
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 23, 2017, 07:57AMThank you for your un-asked for critique. lol
No problem.  Just mirroring your un-asked for critique of Rob's work.

As for which notes are missing, they are the ones you didn't play.  Obviously. Image
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: BillO on Mar 23, 2017, 08:04AMNo problem.  Just mirroring your un-asked for critique of Rob's work.

As for which notes are missing, they are the ones you didn't play.  Obviously. Image

So you're complaining about my complaint? That's pretty meta of you! lol  Anyway, thanks for the free publicity! Feel free to listen or not - any time you wish!

But enough about me.

I like to see "play-along" books with everything written out on a more advanced level.

Perhaps I'm not his target audience.  Image

...Geezer
ttf_BillO

Post by ttf_BillO »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 23, 2017, 08:22AMSo you're complaining about my complaint? That's pretty meta of you! lol 
I'm not so complicated, but I am absurd. Image
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: BillO on Mar 23, 2017, 08:34AMI'm not so complicated, but I am absurd. Image

Lol. Me too.

Actually, I commend his efforts for rank beginners; just not my bag. I would mention what is, but this isn't about me.

I hope his success inspires him to take it up level-by-level. But it's one heck of a lot better than it was even 20 years ago - thanks to guys like him and their efforts!

...Geezer
ttf_robbo

Post by ttf_robbo »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 23, 2017, 08:41AMLol. Me too.

Actually, I commend his efforts for rank beginners; just not my bag. I would mention what is, but this isn't about me.

I hope his success inspires him to take it up level-by-level. But it's one heck of a lot better than it was even 20 years ago - thanks to guys like him and their efforts!

...Geezer

Did u really find the tunes from the med/adv book that easy Geezer? Happy to take constructive criticsm. Did u try rose room? I really don't think its fair to label it as rank beginne level. Its a nice solo and I'd urge some more ppl to take a look. Does require a very quick registration as it's the most efficient way to get the large files to you.
Rob
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: robbo on Mar 23, 2017, 02:56PMDid u really find the tunes from the med/adv book that easy Geezer? Happy to take constructive criticsm. Did u try rose room? I really don't think its fair to label it as rank beginne level. Its a nice solo and I'd urge some more ppl to take a look. Does require a very quick registration as it's the most efficient way to get the large files to you.
Rob

Sorry Rob, but I'm not registering. I don't register onto sites to get free stuff. That's not my definition of free.

Best to you,

Geezer
ttf_robbo

Post by ttf_robbo »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Mar 23, 2017, 03:00PMSorry Rob, but I'm not registering. I don't register onto sites to get free stuff. That's not my definition of free.

Best to you,

Geezer

And that i can very much appreciate. But u gave a very strong opinion on the content of it which can only be misleading to readers when i would rather them be given the chance to make their own judgement. I did stress that the jlotw#12 is only a very small sample.
But, hope those who are trying it out find it a bit of fun.
Rob
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: robbo on Mar 23, 2017, 03:13PMAnd that i can very much appreciate. But u gave a very strong opinion on the content of it which can only be misleading to readers when i would rather them be given the chance to make their own judgement. I did stress that the jlotw#12 is only a very small sample.
But, hope those who are trying it out find it a bit of fun.
Rob

Fair enough. I reacted to what I saw. I can't react to what I can't see or chose not to see.

I hope students give your material a go if it seems to be what they want.

...Geezer
ttf_robbo

Post by ttf_robbo »

I must say, the downloads have gone through the roof since all of this discussion! Image

If you are downloading, please note that to complete the process you have to go to the "downloads" section of your account. Your files will be witting there for 90 days ready for you to download to your computer where you can print at your leisure, and load your mp3's to portable devices, burn to CD or whatever.

Whilst registration isn't always that welcomed, it is necessary so that you have an account for the files to be added to.

Rob
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hey Rob, I just registered for your site.   Thanks for the freebies!  I love the concept of building our arsenal one lick at a time.   Years ago I was told that if we want to be a working musician we need a huge vocabulary.  Here is one formula for building that vocabulary:
Learn one new standard each week.  Learn it in the original key and also a half-step up and a half-step down.
Additionally, learn one short lick each day and play it in all 12 keys.
In one year's time you will know over 50 tunes and have several hundred licks you can play in all keys.  If you can do that you can work with any jazz group out there.   
Maybe the musicians who find your JLOTW too easy could learn them in all 12 keys.   This would make them a more advanced lesson.   

ttf_robbo

Post by ttf_robbo »

Quote from: EdGrissom on May 02, 2017, 04:24AMHey Rob, I just registered for your site.   Thanks for the freebies!  I love the concept of building our arsenal one lick at a time.   Years ago I was told that if we want to be a working musician we need a huge vocabulary.  Here is one formula for building that vocabulary:
Learn one new standard each week.  Learn it in the original key and also a half-step up and a half-step down.
In one year's time you will know over 50 tunes and have several hundred licks you can play in all keys.  If you can do that you can work with any jazz group out there.   
Maybe the musicians who find your JLOTW too easy could learn them in all 12 keys.   This would make them a more advanced lesson.   

Thanks for that Ed,

I just checked your account and you've not downloaded the backing tracks to the dixieland solos yet. Make sure you get them - makes it more enjoyable and puts the pressure on!

I'm taking a bit of a break from Lick of The Week, but the visits are keeping up nicely. I'll get back to it after I finish a few other projects and commitments. I've also been consumed by teaching about 15 beginning 10 year old trombone students! (Hopefully at least one or two will make something of it!)
Trombones are such a minority group, the music world needs you! Keep it up everyone.

Rob

ttf_robbo

Post by ttf_robbo »

Quote from: EdGrissom on May 02, 2017, 04:24AMHey Rob, I just registered for your site.   Thanks for the freebies!  I love the concept of building our arsenal one lick at a time.   Years ago I was told that if we want to be a working musician we need a huge vocabulary.  Here is one formula for building that vocabulary:

Thanks for that Ed,

I just checked your account and you've not downloaded the backing tracks to the dixieland solos yet. Make sure you get them - makes it more enjoyable and puts the pressure on!

I'm taking a bit of a break from Lick of The Week, but the visits are keeping up nicely. I'll get back to it after I finish a few other projects and commitments. I've also been consumed by teaching about 15 beginning 10 year old trombone students! (Hopefully at least one or two will make something of it!)
Trombones are such a minority group, the music world needs you! Keep it up everyone.

Rob

Return to “Practice Room”