Uncontrollable lip twitching!

ttf_seanschramm

Post by ttf_seanschramm »

Hey guys,

So for the past several weeks, I've developed a severe bottom lip twitching in my playing. It doesn't happen unless I play my horn, not when I buzz and warm-up on mouthpiece. I don't know how to fix it, and it's very frustrating.
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Have a Skype lesson with Doug Elliott  Image
ttf_jimkinkella

Post by ttf_jimkinkella »

Stress did that to me for a while, no joke.
Had to seriously work on some personal stuff.

It is also possible that the embouchure sets differently with the different resistance.
On your own you could try the old put the mouthpiece in the horn while buzzing, but seeing someone (like Doug) isn't a bad idea.
ttf_pompatus

Post by ttf_pompatus »

Quote from: vegasbound on Jan 12, 2018, 02:04PMHave a Skype lesson with Doug Elliott  Image

^ This, you absolutely wont regret it.  Time and time again you’ll find this very recommendation on various sites online for a reason, Doug is an expert, and in addition to potentially helping with the issue, he can quickly sort out mechanical issues and get you set on the right path.  It’s absolutely worth your time to get in touch with him. 

/dismountsoapbox
ttf_FlamingRain

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

Quote from: jimkinkella on Jan 12, 2018, 02:16PMStress did that to me for a while, no joke.

I always recommend Doug Elliott, but also this is true too, except I don't get this in my lips. If I'm stressed out or mind is racing, sometimes I will have a small episode of slight muscle twitching, sometimes in my hand or legs. If I relax, it goes away. From what I've said to doctors, this is a pretty common occurrence in anxiety.

However I would assume this is an embouchure thing since you've said it's only when you play, and it's only in your lips, and I'll leave that to the forum chops guru.
ttf_FlamingRain

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

Quote from: jimkinkella on Jan 12, 2018, 02:16PMStress did that to me for a while, no joke.

I always recommend Doug Elliott, but also this is true too, except I don't get this in my lips. If I'm stressed out or mind is racing, sometimes I will have a small episode of slight muscle twitching, sometimes in my hand or legs. If I relax, it goes away. From what I've said to doctors, this is a pretty common occurrence in anxiety.

However I would assume this is an embouchure thing since you've said it's only when you play, and it's only in your lips, and I'll leave that to the forum chops guru.

Return to “Practice Room”