How much to play the day before a big gig?

ttf_tbones7

Post by ttf_tbones7 »

I have big gig tomorrow afternoon. How much should I play today? I've heard different things. Should I do my normal warmup and stop? Should I go through my regular practice routine? Or should I just take the day off from playing altogether? Any advice would be appreciated.

Jake
ttf_vegasbound

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

More info on the gig would help people answer you.... Is it a recital??  Solo in a concert? Etc
ttf_cigmar

Post by ttf_cigmar »

Don't go changing things up.  Stick with your normal routine. 
ttf_tbones7

Post by ttf_tbones7 »

My quintet is performing with the local choral society in their Christmas concert tomorrow afternoon. We're doing 9 pieces altogether, including a few demanding ones at the end of the program, and a featured set of tunes at intermission. We're well prepared and sound good. I want to be at my best, of course, and just want to be sure I'm approaching it properly.
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Let's look at this from a logical view point.

Would it make sense to blow your brains out tonight? Probably not if you want to be at peak performance tomorrow.

Would it make the most sense to abstain? Maybe, if you have had very strenuous work-outs up to this point and feel fatigued.

Would it make sense to do a light to moderate work-out this evening as a warm-up? If you have done your homework properly, that seems to make the most sense to me. And if you look at risk vs gain - it seems to have the least potential for downside.

...Geezer
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

I try to do my normal warm up and run through any tough spots on the concert literature.  I don't over practice the day before so my chops are fresh for the concert.  You can't cram for a concert the day before the event, you should already know the music.  

ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Do your normal routine but a little less.  An easy day today will leave you stronger tomorrow.
ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist

Post by ttf_Full Pedal Trombonist »

Yup. Before a long gig I reinforce any parts I will either be exposed or any parts that I may feel less confident about. Then just make sure I feel good and maybe clean my slide.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

The choir will probably not do an extended warmup on stage that includes playing their exercises, their excerpts, and the concert program. 

Some instrumentalists though feel a strong pull to do exactly that.  I'd suggest this is an occasion to refrain.

(I personally believe all public performances are occasions to refrain, but I know I won't win that argument.)
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: timothy42b on Dec 04, 2017, 07:25AMThe choir will probably not do an extended warmup on stage that includes playing their exercises, their excerpts, and the concert program. 

Some instrumentalists though feel a strong pull to do exactly that.  I'd suggest this is an occasion to refrain.

(I personally believe all public performances are occasions to refrain, but I know I won't win that argument.)

FWIW, I totally concur. I really don't like to hear groups put their stuff out there during warm-ups. I don't think there is anything wrong with scales, arpeggios, etc. After all, I do want them to warm up if they have to and be ready to perform at their very best. If they want to put air through their horn, center their tone and tune-up - that is expected and interesting. But please don't practice your runs, etc. Do that at home as part of your prep. I know, a lot of rentals are sight-reading and the only chance they get is when it is in front of them. But they can do it pianissimo!

And please, let's NOT have the whole group use the time before a performance as one last rehearsal!

...Geezer
ttf_ddickerson

Post by ttf_ddickerson »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Dec 04, 2017, 07:37AMFWIW, I totally concur. I really don't like to hear groups put their stuff out there during warm-ups. I don't think there is anything wrong with scales, arpeggios, etc. After all, I do want them to warm up if they have to and be ready to perform at their very best. If they want to put air through their horn, center their tone and tune-up - that is expected and interesting. But please don't practice your runs, etc. Do that at home as part of your prep. I know, a lot of rentals are sight-reading and the only chance they get is when it is in front of them. But they can do it pianissimo!

And please, let's NOT have the whole group use the time before a performance as one last rehearsal!

...Geezer

Haha. Don't get there early, and you won't hear them. Just kidding.....our community band warms up with some warmup exercises.

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: ddickerson on Dec 04, 2017, 07:56AMHaha. Don't get there early, and you won't hear them. Just kidding.....our community band warms up with some warmup exercises.

Lol. I'm in groups that make their warm-up ONE.LAST.REHEARSAL. Sometimes 'till our gums bleed and then GO GET 'EM GUYS!

The better groups do as your group does, IMO.

...Geezer
ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: ddickerson on Dec 04, 2017, 07:56AMHaha. Don't get there early, and you won't hear them. Just kidding.....our community band warms up with some warmup exercises.

Lol. I'm in groups that make their warm-up ONE.LAST.REHEARSAL. Sometimes 'till our gums bleed and then GO GET 'EM GUYS!

The better groups do as your group does, IMO.

...Geezer

Return to “Practice Room”