Took a lesson

ttf_john sandhagen

Took a lesson

Post by ttf_john sandhagen »

For the first time in many years I took a lesson.  Maybe it was being cowardly not wanting to hear what someone had to say, maybe I thought I knew what they'd say so why bother...but I had the opportunity to meet Doug Elliot at the ITF and thought "this is a different approach to what I know, give it a try!".

We met, Doug had me play a few notes (nothing brilliant fell out of the bell...), and then started showing me quite a few things.  Some I was TRYING to do but wasn't able to, others I didn't even have on the radar.  And honestly, I was uncomfortable, not sounding good, not able to make my face comply with what I thought I was doing.  Doug was calm and polite, never made me feel stupid (I did that all myself).  That evening things felt very out of sorts.

The next morning I played in Boneswest and things clicked...sometimes.  When I was able to get the new ideas in my head, fine, but learning a new habit isn't easy...so 75% I felt very good, 20% was the old me, 5% was shifting between the two.  Later that day I played in another group, more like 50/50.

That showed me that what I got from Doug worked and it's just going to take time to internalize it...and I need to work on it at home more.

Thanks Doug!
ttf_oslide

Took a lesson

Post by ttf_oslide »

Thank you, John! Very open and very encouraging. Gets me another step closer to trying myself...   Image

Wolfgang

ttf_Ellrod

Took a lesson

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I had the good fortune to have a lesson with Ralph Sauer when he was in town last fall and, more recently, I had a lesson from Doug Elliott when he swung through Seattle on his way to California. Both were very friendly and happy to share their time and expertise.

But, that being said, I didn't find it particularly easy. It's well outside my comfort zone. With Doug, I went a little Albert Brooks/Network News:

https://youtu.be/A5xTu6AMxq4

That is to say, a little nervous. But, it's only nerves. They pass. (Unless it turns into a full-blown panic attack Image)

But, I got a couple of solid takeaways from RS and four from Doug. Were the lessons helpful? Yeah I think so. Nothing that dramatically changed my playing overnight - it would be nice to say that now my range is solid and effortless up to a high F - but I can see that by following their advice, it will put my playing on a more solid footing. (Although, to be honest, I think my range has improved a bit since my lesson with Doug as a result of doing the things he said to do. And they dovetailed nicely with the advice RS gave me). Were the lessons worthwhile? Yes. No doubts at all.

ttf_SilverBone

Took a lesson

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

I had a lesson with Doug on his recent swing through Portland, OR.  He introduced me to some new concepts.  They will take some practice, but so far they are very promising.

Doug is a nice guy and a patient teacher.
ttf_savio

Took a lesson

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: SilverBone on Jul 03, 2017, 04:36PM

Doug is a nice guy and a patient teacher.

Wish i was younger and lived close to him. We all know him as an expert on embouchure, but I  got some of my best advices how to use fantasy and perform my concerts for schools in this forum. From him! So I believe he is a creative musician in all styles and aspects of music.

Leif

ttf_BGuttman

Took a lesson

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: savio on Jul 03, 2017, 05:46PMWish i was younger and lived close to him. We all know him as an expert on embouchure, but I  got some of my best advices how to use fantasy and perform my concerts for schools in this forum. From him! So I believe he is a creative musician in all styles and aspects of music.

Leif

Having listened to him live with the Artie Shaw Band, I can agree with you totally.
ttf_BGuttman

Took a lesson

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: savio on Jul 03, 2017, 05:46PMWish i was younger and lived close to him. We all know him as an expert on embouchure, but I  got some of my best advices how to use fantasy and perform my concerts for schools in this forum. From him! So I believe he is a creative musician in all styles and aspects of music.

Leif

Having listened to him live with the Artie Shaw Band, I can agree with you totally.

Return to “Pedagogy”