Advice on looking for and financing a new horn.

ttf_Dsager

Post by ttf_Dsager »

I would like to find a way to finance myself a used horn.  I have had the luxury of testing out some friend's shires and Edwards.  I really like the way they blow compared to my Bach 42bog.  I want to finance buying a used shires/Edwards with similar specs as the ones I have tried.  I have some money saved, and am working as much as I can while I am student teaching.  I play a lot, and am in grad school audition season.  Due to this, I plan to wait until after all of my auditions are done to make a purchase. 

However, I am looking for advice on ways to finance this horn/find used ones from reputable dealers who do trade ins.  I would be completely fine with selling my current horn or trading it in, but I don't have another horn to play while I wait.  I would love to minimize/eliminate the amount of time I would have with out a trombone. 

I would love to hear some thoughts and Ideas on how to handle this.

If it is relevant, I am in the Indianapolis area.  I am not against driving to make any of these plans work, especially during the summer.

Thanks for any advice/ideas!

-Dan
ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: Dsager on Feb 01, 2018, 08:22AMI would like to find a way to finance myself a used horn.  I have had the luxury of testing out some friend's shires and Edwards.  I really like the way they blow compared to my Bach 42bog.  I want to finance buying a used shires/Edwards with similar specs as the ones I have tried.  I have some money saved, and am working as much as I can while I am student teaching.  I play a lot, and am in grad school audition season.  Due to this, I plan to wait until after all of my auditions are done to make a purchase. 

However, I am looking for advice on ways to finance this horn/find used ones from reputable dealers who do trade ins.  I would be completely fine with selling my current horn or trading it in, but I don't have another horn to play while I wait.  I would love to minimize/eliminate the amount of time I would have with out a trombone. 

I would love to hear some thoughts and Ideas on how to handle this.

If it is relevant, I am in the Indianapolis area.  I am not against driving to make any of these plans work, especially during the summer.

Thanks for any advice/ideas!

-Dan

Best way to finance a buy of any kind is to find a work. As I'm not in your country I don't know what kind of jobs you could ask for. Over here it could be gardening (in summer). Working in stores or serving food at McDonald's. You could ask your local church janiter if they need someone to back up for them on vaccations. Graves needs to be looked after and flowers needs a lot of work to look nice. When I was young I worked at different petrol stations in a couple of summers when the ordinary staff had their vaccation.

/Tom
ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Conventions are the best way in my experience unless you're willing to go through a lot of hoops and risk buying blind. I've done the both, primarily the latter and been surprisingly lucky.

You may also want to wait a little bit into your graduate school where your professor may be able to guide you through the decision (though that isn't always the case that the professor knows much about equipment beyond horn a sounds better than horn b on you).  

If you do go to aconvention, there are lots of reputable brands both represented as well as some of the dealers of used instruments. ATW and ITF are big ones. I believe ITF is in Iowa this year so not too bad of a drive for you. You might also be able to get it paid for if they're still looking for student workers.  I was one and had a great experience.

ATF usually has dillon and if they have horns in stock you want to try, send them an email and they will probably bring it to try.  They don't stock new Shires horns typically but they do have a good set of used horns.  They do trade ins as well.  You might get more money for it if you can buy a horn and then sell it, even on commission somewhere (I prefer Brassark and Noah is really great to work with).  Sheridan Music is usually there as well and he has a selection of new and used Shires horns and I believe also takes trade-ins in some capacity.

You might also find that minor changes to your Bach makes it play substantially better. Bach horns frequently have build issues. Getting burrs removed, the rotor aligned properly, etc. is usually not an expensive procedure and can go a long way to making the Bach horns play better.  You may also find that swapping the rotor works well too. The Instrument Innovations rotors are at a low price point, though they aren't a "drop in" replacement, there has been a lot of positive things said about them and your total cost is a heck of a lot less than a new horn. Also you might find that the price ends up being recouped in relation to the amount you spend on it. (E.g. a Bach 42 won't sell for quite as much as one with an II rotor on it).  There's actually a used one for sale right now that would be a drop in replacement.

There are other mods too, but you can search for them if you're intersted (swapping leadpipes in particular).  I'd probably go down that route if the horn horns you tried were similar to Bachs. If they weren't, the this advice might not be as helpful to you.  I played a Bach 42, then had a Shires rotor to it and slowly over time I replaced every part until I now have a Shires that's setup closer to a Conn 88 than anything.  

Another option I think you might find worth pursuing is trading for the Shires "Q" series.  If you can get your hands on one to try. It's a collection of popular parts from Shires that have been assembled in China in the Eastman Factory (the parts are made by the people in the Boston factory though).  They are fully compatible with other Shires components though. So if you get one you can swap parts until it's exactly what you want, but you might not find yourself needing to as they are the most popular configurations.

HOpe that helps and good luck getting what you need.  Fortunately, you don't have to go too far down the rabbit hole because there are enough of us who have  Image
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

I'm not very familiar with the Shires or Edwards horns, but does it really play that much better?  I'm not saying that getting a new upgraded trombone isn't a nice goal to shoot for, but how immediate is your need?  The Bach 42 is a horn that is used by a lot of professionals, so if yours is in good condition and plays well I would advise taking your time and working summer jobs, etc. to earn the money.  If there isn't an immediate need I would avoid financing, and paying interest on a purchase of this size. The more you can earn and save before the purchase the less you will pay in interest. 
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

I made good money through college working as a student advisor / clerk at the school's advising office. I kept physical records in order and mentored noobs about why they couldn't get a degree without choosing an actual course of study.

Do that.
ttf_trombonemetal

Post by ttf_trombonemetal »

The Music and Arts that I teach at (in Manchester NH) is a Shires dealer and offeres financing.
ttf_greenbean

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Quote from: trombonemetal on Feb 01, 2018, 09:07PMThe Music and Arts that I teach at (in Manchester NH) is a Shires dealer and offeres financing.

Ted Herbert's Music Mart?...
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Since you already know the specs you want, you can start watching classifieds (at places like this) and buy your boutique horn in parts.  Watching for good deals on Shires parts, I've managed to put together multiple horns.

A word of caution though: the specs you think you want may not be the specs you would choose if you could try a bunch of different parts.  I went to a Shires dealer with a preconceived idea of what I would like, and was surprised to find I liked other things more.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: greenbean on Feb 01, 2018, 09:20PMTed Herbert's Music Mart?...

Yup.  They're part of Music and Arts.  Also in a new location.  I think Ted's son still works there.

I hear they have a great trombone teacher Image
ttf_trombonemetal

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 07:43 AMYup.  They're part of Music and Arts.  Also in a new location.  I think Ted's son still works there.

If Herbert Jr. works there it’s news to me! Ted Herbert’s was bought out about three years ago (after he passed away and the downtown location was winding down). Despite being very busy, the store is down to 2.5 employees so if you know anybody who wants a job...

ttf_trombonemetal

Quote from: BGuttman on Yesterday at 07:43 AMYup.  They're part of Music and Arts.  Also in a new location.  I think Ted's son still works there.

If Herbert Jr. works there it’s news to me! Ted Herbert’s was bought out about three years ago (after he passed away and the downtown location was winding down). Despite being very busy, the store is down to 2.5 employees so if you know anybody who wants a job...

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”