Taking Trombone up later in life

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Goal -
Play three pieces at friends 50th birthday next year! Passable level - e.g they can recognise the tunes!

Facts -
46 years old
Total beginner
Ordered pbone awaiting delivery (full size not mini)
Practice time will be in a small camper van away from neighbours

Question -
Have tried to source a teacher but no one in my area (new forest), what are recommendations as a teaching aid, books or online (given it will be 4g as in the van)

I realise this is slightly left field, but any helpful advice appreciated

thanks

Ade

ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

Hey there. Your best bet for sourcing a teacher would be to find out which high school near you has the best band program, and ask their band director where he sources private teachers for his students. Get contacts, but also find out if these teachers are associated with a nearby college. If they are, then you contact the professor at that college, and see if he can't recommend a teacher for a beginning adult student.

Good luck!
ttf_stephenkerry

Post by ttf_stephenkerry »

I'll leave the teaching aids to those used to educating brass musicians. Assuming it's New Forest UK, I would guess the local schools are based out of the Hampshire Music Service. https://www.hants.gov.uk/educationandlearning/hampshiremusic 

They will be geared to children, and their teachers may not have programmes for adults (happens around here, some are good with adults, others not so much). Or as an alternative, maybe call in at Wessex Tubas in Andover, or Hayes Music in Southampton, and ask for suggestions. I've no direct knowledge of either, but could be worth a try. Try to find a local group aimed at stating adults (eg Da Capo). There's also a Coda (Kodaly) music school near Chewton Glen may be able to help http://coda.org.uk/
Or perhaps one of the trombonists in the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, they are a leading UK orchestra, but might not be right for a beginner I guess.
Good luck, Stephen
ttf_Radar

Post by ttf_Radar »

I really recommend finding a teacher, and contacting the music teacher at the local high school would be my first step.  Local colleges with a Music Education degree program or similar might also be a good choice to try to find a teacher.  Good luck with you playing endeavor!!
ttf_Oldskooladey

Post by ttf_Oldskooladey »

Thanks all, comments thanks

I'd tried Coda but they don't have anyone, unfortunatlry civilisation is a little way away. I'm sure i'll find someone to help kick off in the right direction

Oh and thanks for not shooting me for buying a plastic trombone

thanks again
ttf_stephenkerry

Post by ttf_stephenkerry »

Whereabouts are you exactly? I have a few contacts with teachers in Reading area who may know some one local to you.
S
ttf_willful.liam

Post by ttf_willful.liam »

I started a year ago at the age of 34, and have been having quite a bit of fun.  I'm trying to think the 3 things that have been most helpful . . .

(1) Practice

(2) Teacher

(3) Local youth band

Also, I have a suggestion for something to do when you get the p-bone --- and then every morning for the next year. 

Step 1
=======
Get the pitch of concert F in your head (play it on a piano or put on a "tuning drone" which you can find on you tube).  Once you have that pitch in your head, try to play it on the trombone.  Sing it as nicely as you can, and then try to make that same sound on the trombone.  Alternate singing and playing concert F.  Sing it once.  Play it once. I hate singing but it is really useful for learning trombone, so I do it anyway.  Sing, "Daaaaaaaaahhhh" and play "Daaaaaaaaaaahhhhh". Sing, "Daaaaaaaaahhhh" and play "Daaaaaaaaaaahhhhh".

Do this every morning for two minutes and you will learn to play concert F Image Image pretty good in no time.  I still start every day with concert F and my lips still need to get used to the feeling that gives the best sound.  Every day the horn feels a little different on my face.

Step 2
=======
Once you can play F pretty good try some lower notes.  Start playing the F and hold it while moving the slide out (slowly).  Go out to about arms length (which should be about C in 6th position) "Deeeeeeaaaaaah".  Sing it the way you want it to sound "Deeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah" and play it "Deeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaah".

Step 3
=======
Now you can play some higher notes.  Play concert F in 6th position with the slide out at about arms length.  Try to play F in both 1st and 6th position.  Sing F.  Play F in 1st position.  Play F in 6th position.  Try to match the sounds.  Sing play play. 

When they sound close enough, try this.  Start an F in 6th position and then slowly bring in the slide back to 1st position. Let your lips follow the instrument. Sing "Daaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeee", play "Daaaaaaaeeeeeeeee."

When you move the slide slowly the instrument will "show" your lips the correct feeling for higher notes.  This goes for Step 2 also.  The slide makes some things more difficult, but in this respect it actually helps. 

My teacher likes to say, "let your lips react to the instrument."  He is pretty great.  I guess step 4 would be to get a teacher . . .

Summary
=======

I hope you have lots of fun.  Trombone is difficult to play well, but it is really easy to have fun with at all levels (and volumes).  I loved the sound of the instrument from day one.  My sound was pretty awful for the first several months, but even then it was really satisfying to relax and play.   

Also, I think a p-bone will be fine for a while.  When I got my first brass trombone, my wife couldn't tell the difference.

Good luck! 

ttf_robcat2075

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

There are people who will teach you over the internet via Skype or similar.

Given the stated casual nature of your goal...

QuoteGoal -
Play three pieces at friends 50th birthday next year! Passable level - e.g they can recognise the tunes!
...and the stated lack of local teacher resources, that would be adequate to get you started.
ttf_lauriet

Post by ttf_lauriet »

OK, I will be the first to shoot down the plastic trombone.....
I started 4 months ago with a brass instrument, then thought the plastic looked fun so bought one. Thought it was nice and light so sold the brass. Then discovered the plastic was hard to blow, hard to move the slide and sounded "yucky". Then bought another brass instrument.
Now with a little bit of experience under my belt (Ok, not much) I try the pbone for a few minutes and say "what the hell was I thinking".
The brass gives you more feedback off the bell and is just plain easier to use and get a half decent sound from.

As for learning: I bought 4 beginner books and started working through them. Everyone will tell you, download and practice scales/arpegios/long notes etc. I went for a starter lesson and the guy said "just keep doing what you are doing" I am 59 and new to the trombone, but did learn the trumpet when I was 12, so I was able to buzz and I could read a fair bit of music.

My advice is to take a long term view. Its a great hobby and gives me something to do while the wife is shoe shopping  Image
I usually pour myself two fingers of wiskey and practice for a couple of hours a day.....I seem to look forward to that time each day.
So enjoy the journey, experiment with it (no ones going to die). One day in the future you will be playing in a band and fighting off the groupies  Image

ttf_Geezerhorn

Post by ttf_Geezerhorn »

Quote from: lauriet on Jan 26, 2018, 05:33PMOK, I will be the first to shoot down the plastic trombone.....
I started 4 months ago with a brass instrument, then thought the plastic looked fun so bought one. Thought it was nice and light so sold the brass. Then discovered the plastic was hard to blow, hard to move the slide and sounded "yucky". Then bought another brass instrument.
Now with a little bit of experience under my belt (Ok, not much) I try the pbone for a few minutes and say "what the hell was I thinking".
The brass gives you more feedback off the bell and is just plain easier to use and get a half decent sound from.

As for learning: I bought 4 beginner books and started working through them. Everyone will tell you, download and practice scales/arpegios/long notes etc. I went for a starter lesson and the guy said "just keep doing what you are doing" I am 59 and new to the trombone, but did learn the trumpet when I was 12, so I was able to buzz and I could read a fair bit of music.

My advice is to take a long term view. Its a great hobby and gives me something to do while the wife is shoe shopping  Image
I usually pour myself two fingers of wiskey and practice for a couple of hours a day.....I seem to look forward to that time each day.
So enjoy the journey, experiment with it (no ones going to die). One day in the future you will be playing in a band and fighting off the groupies  Image

When the chicks in the front row start mouthing the words to the music you are rockin', you have arrived!

...Geezer
ttf_schlitzbeer

Post by ttf_schlitzbeer »

Quote from: Geezerhorn on Jan 26, 2018, 05:51PMWhen the chicks in the front row start mouthing the words to the music you are rockin', you have arrived!

...Geezer

For some age groups that might also include having pair of Depends thrown at them on stage.
ttf_MikeyBonez

Post by ttf_MikeyBonez »

I have a Tromba and find it a good teaching tool.

I find that it isn't as forgiving of technical errors. It demands concentration and correct technique.

When I switch over to my brass horn the errors on the Tromba are rarely present.

That's my input anyway.
ttf_Oldskooladey

Quote from: stephenkerry on Jan 26, 2018, 09:39AMWhereabouts are you exactly? I have a few contacts with teachers in Reading area who may know some one local to you.
S

Im near Lymington
ttf_Oldskooladey

Quote from: willful.liam on Jan 26, 2018, 11:12AMI started a year ago at the age of 34, and have been having quite a bit of fun.  I'm trying to think the 3 things that have been most helpful . . .

(1) Practice

(2) Teacher

(3) Local youth band

Also, I have a suggestion for something to do when you get the p-bone --- and then every morning for the next year. 

Step 1
=======
Get the pitch of concert F in your head (play it on a piano or put on a "tuning drone" which you can find on you tube).  Once you have that pitch in your head, try to play it on the trombone.  Sing it as nicely as you can, and then try to make that same sound on the trombone.  Alternate singing and playing concert F.  Sing it once.  Play it once. I hate singing but it is really useful for learning trombone, so I do it anyway.  Sing, "Daaaaaaaaahhhh" and play "Daaaaaaaaaaahhhhh". Sing, "Daaaaaaaaahhhh" and play "Daaaaaaaaaaahhhhh".

Do this every morning for two minutes and you will learn to play concert F Image Image pretty good in no time.  I still start every day with concert F and my lips still need to get used to the feeling that gives the best sound.  Every day the horn feels a little different on my face.

Step 2
=======
Once you can play F pretty good try some lower notes.  Start playing the F and hold it while moving the slide out (slowly).  Go out to about arms length (which should be about C in 6th position) "Deeeeeeaaaaaah".  Sing it the way you want it to sound "Deeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaah" and play it "Deeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaah".

Step 3
=======
Now you can play some higher notes.  Play concert F in 6th position with the slide out at about arms length.  Try to play F in both 1st and 6th position.  Sing F.  Play F in 1st position.  Play F in 6th position.  Try to match the sounds.  Sing play play. 

When they sound close enough, try this.  Start an F in 6th position and then slowly bring in the slide back to 1st position. Let your lips follow the instrument. Sing "Daaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeee", play "Daaaaaaaeeeeeeeee."

When you move the slide slowly the instrument will "show" your lips the correct feeling for higher notes.  This goes for Step 2 also.  The slide makes some things more difficult, but in this respect it actually helps. 

My teacher likes to say, "let your lips react to the instrument."  He is pretty great.  I guess step 4 would be to get a teacher . . .

Summary
=======

I hope you have lots of fun.  Trombone is difficult to play well, but it is really easy to have fun with at all levels (and volumes).  I loved the sound of the instrument from day one.  My sound was pretty awful for the first several months, but even then it was really satisfying to relax and play.   

Also, I think a p-bone will be fine for a while.  When I got my first brass trombone, my wife couldn't tell the difference.

Good luck! 

Wow, thats amazing advice, thanks, i'll very much, can't wait to get started
ttf_Oldskooladey

Quote from: willful.liam on Jan 26, 2018, 11:12AMI started a year ago at the age of 34, and have been having quite a bit of fun.  I'm trying to think the 3 things that have been most helpful . . .

(1) Practice

(2) Teacher

(3) Local youth band

Step 1
=======

Step 2
=======

Step 3
=======

Summary
=======

Good luck! 

Wow, thats amazing advice, thanks, i'll very much, can't wait to get started

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”