Suggest a mouthpiece

ttf_anonymous

Suggest a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi guys, I have a Pbone and think I need a smaller mouthpiece. What Bach mouthpiece do people usually start out with? And how does the Pbone mpc compare to it in size? Is the Pbone mpc wider, deeper? I'm getting quite a bit of back pressure.

BTW, I play Eb Tenor Horn and Trumpet.

Steve
ttf_BGuttman

Suggest a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

With a trumpet and tenor horn embouchure, you probably need a fairly small mouthpiece.  I would start with a Bach 12C size (Yamaha 45).  If you like plastic you can get a Kelly.

I don't own a Pbone, but others here have described the supplied mouthpiece as rather wide and shallow.

Good luck.
ttf_svenlarsson

Suggest a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

The PBone mothpieces I have seen is very close to Bach 11C. For many bone players a small piece, for others a good size.
Not that easy to find a smaller mpc. Kelly 12C is almost the same size. Most boneplayers on the TTF want a bigger piece.

ttf_Doug Elliott

Suggest a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

And most trumpet players think they need a small piece to play trombone, and most trombone players think they need a huge piece to play trumpet.

You're training a different size area to vibrate and a different size area to support it.  They're pretty far apart so it shouldn't be a real problem unless there's a dental issue.
ttf_FlamingRain

Suggest a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

You also might be experiencing problems that you think are related to size but might be simply because well... it's a pBone mouthpiece.
ttf_FlamingRain

Suggest a mouthpiece

Post by ttf_FlamingRain »

You also might be experiencing problems that you think are related to size but might be simply because well... it's a pBone mouthpiece.

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”