Pbone and playing in tune

ttf_HeyPauly

Post by ttf_HeyPauly »

I seem to find it nearly impossible to play in tune on my Pbone. I'm wondering is it me that is just terrible or do I chalk it up to the horn. I'm planning on getting a brass horn but I'm not sure if I should bother.
ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Quote from: HeyPauly on Dec 15, 2017, 03:42PMI seem to find it nearly impossible to play in tune on my Pbone. I'm wondering is it me that is just terrible or do I chalk it up to the horn. I'm planning on getting a brass horn but I'm not sure if I should bother.

Well...

How long have you been playing? It takes time to learn the positions and it takes time to develope the embouchure.

It is the player who plays an instrument in tune because all instruments are different and the harmonics line up differently. I have a PBone and it is not more out of tune than other horns. It is probably you and not the horn. Have you got a teacher? Let him try the horn. Play scales and long tones. Get a cd with easy tunes and play a long. Don't give up.

/Tom
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Are you trying to play with the plastic mouthpiece that came with it?  Reports have been that it's pretty crummy.  See if it gets better playing with a brass mouthpiece (or even a decent plastic like a Kelly).
ttf_HeyPauly

Post by ttf_HeyPauly »

I have been using a Faxx 12C mouthpiece with it.
ttf_HeyPauly

Post by ttf_HeyPauly »

Quote from: watermailonman on Dec 15, 2017, 04:22PMWell...

How long have you been playing? It takes time to learn the positions and it takes time to develope the embouchure.

It is the player who plays an instrument in tune because all instruments are different and the harmonics line up differently. I have a PBone and it is not more out of tune than other horns. It is probably you and not the horn. Have you got a teacher? Let him try the horn. Play scales and long tones. Get a cd with easy tunes and play a long. Don't give up.

/Tom

I've been playing on and off for a few years. Thanks for the tips, I will try them out.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Do you play out of tune, or just think you do?

You have to test it by recording a rehearsal.

I recorded myself recently playing the alto pBone, and while I was clumsy and played some wrong notes (forgetting what position I wanted) the recording showed I played in tune.  Actually I think there's a snip of it here somewhere. 

The pBone does give you less feedback off the bell.  Maybe you're not hearing yourself as well as you're used to. 

The alto is a bit squirrelly, upper octaves are a bit flat and have to be adjusted or you can use alternates.  The tenor is pretty close to how a brass one plays. 
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

pBones do go flat in the upper register.
ttf_watermailonman

Quote from: harrison.t.reed on Dec 15, 2017, 10:13PMpBones do go flat in the upper register.

Not my PBone and I'm using the original mouthpiece.

/Tom
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Quote from: watermailonman on Dec 16, 2017, 12:40AMNot my PBone and I'm using the original mouthpiece.

/Tom

The same for me. I use the original mpc, not flatt in the high range. If u put a to large mpc in any horn you will be flatt in the high range. Of course you can get used to that and compensate.
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Hmm.  Maybe I should try the original mini pBone mouthpiece then. 
ttf_davdud101

Post by ttf_davdud101 »

Quote from: timothy42b on Dec 16, 2017, 06:15AMHmm.  Maybe I should try the original mini pBone mouthpiece then. 

I found that to be an interestingly designed piece. Terrible for actual playing, but the overall shape and design is cool
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

I tried it tonight.

It greatly reduces the flatness in the upper register.  It's almost in tune.

It's a little small for me though. 
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Quote from: timothy42b on Dec 16, 2017, 06:15AMHmm.  Maybe I should try the original mini pBone mouthpiece then. 
Aha you are talking about a PBone in Eb? I have not tried those. I was talking about the regular PBone in Bb.
An alto trombone is difficult to play in tune when you havent practised enough yet.

The Bb PBones could be different from exemplar to exemplar. The ones I tried , maybe 5 or 6 did all play in tune. With the original mpc.
ttf_VVJOFan

Post by ttf_VVJOFan »

Tuning has never been an issue for me with the stock mouthpiece or a metal one.

The issue with my particular instrument is that the slide has always been horrible. Like major muscle groups required to move it most of the time.

If I get it really clean and very dry it almost feel free but still will not move without my hand pushing it around.

Is this normal? What do you other pBone users do to get the slide moving?

Wayne
ttf_watermailonman

Quote from: VJOFan on Dec 19, 2017, 05:28PMTuning has never been an issue for me with the stock mouthpiece or a metal one.

The issue with my particular instrument is that the slide has always been horrible. Like major muscle groups required to move it most of the time.

If I get it really clean and very dry it almost feel free but still will not move without my hand pushing it around.

Wayne

I play dry. It is not as good as a regular slide but works allright.

/Tom
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: VJOFan on Dec 19, 2017, 05:28PMTuning has never been an issue for me with the stock mouthpiece or a metal one.

Wayne

Did you polish the brass stockings and make sure there are no lifted edges?
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 19, 2017, 07:33PMDid you polish the brass stockings and make sure there are no lifted edges?

That brass corrodes quickly and then the slide drags.

You need to use car paste wax on the slide, and keep it really dry, wipe and swab it after every use. 

I got my tenor working very well that way.  The mini was not quite so successful.  I play for a little bit and then it feels like it gets suction in there. 
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

Quote from: BGuttman on Dec 19, 2017, 07:33PMDid you polish the brass stockings and make sure there are no lifted edges?

That brass corrodes quickly and then the slide drags.

You need to use car paste wax on the slide, and keep it really dry, wipe and swab it after every use. 

I got my tenor working very well that way.  The mini was not quite so successful.  I play for a little bit and then it feels like it gets suction in there. 

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”