Any good trombone books?

ttf_henrikbe

Any good trombone books?

Post by ttf_henrikbe »

Hi,

it's obviously better to spend time with the trombone than reading a book, but for those occasions where blowing on the horn is impractical (e.g. late in the evening) or impossible (e.g. on the bus), it would be nice to have something trombone-related to read. Preferably something that's mostly text, written to be read by an intermediate-level trombone player but not necessarily with a trombone in hand.

Does anyone have any suggestions for books like this? I'm not quite sure exactly what I'm looking for, and if such books exist at all (that's why I ask here), so any suggestions are very welcome.

Henrik
ttf_robcat2075

Any good trombone books?

Post by ttf_robcat2075 »

trombone-related: a biography of a great composer whose life details you are not familiar with but are curious about... Wagner, Bruckner, Beethoven... that sort?
ttf_BGuttman

Any good trombone books?

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

There is a new version of Kleinhammer's book (can't remember the exact title) updated by Doug Yeo.

Biography of Tommy Dorsey "Livin' In a Great Big Way" (or something like that)

For a while we had a deal on the Jimmy Pankow biography called "Gimme a Show".  It was a buck as an e-book.  Don't know what it is now but it can't be too much.  Warning: Pankow did some serious drugs.  Please don't follow that part of his example.

Not trombone exactly, but Arnold Jacobs' "Song and Wind".  Jacobs was a great tuba player and brass pedagogue.

Probably a few others that will come to me later.
ttf_Russ White

Any good trombone books?

Post by ttf_Russ White »

Bonanza: Insights and Wisdom from Professional Jazz Trombonists, Interviews by Julie Gendrich

There's some great stuff in it. The interviews are listed alphabetically and run from Wayne Andre to Phil Wilson with many prominent living jazz trombonists in between included.
ttf_vegasbound

Any good trombone books?

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Denis Wick wrote a must read book, now available as a download after updates from his site!
ttf_vegasbound

Any good trombone books?

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Denis Wick wrote a must read book, now available as a download after updates from his site!

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”