Mouthpiece recommendation for 3/4 size Eb Tuba

ttf_peteriley

Post by ttf_peteriley »

Hi,

I'm planning to play an Eb bass with a brass band while we find a proper bass player. I currently play tenor (Bach 5G) and bass (1.5 G) trombone. I do have a "Spectrum 3L" Tuba mouthpiece, but it's massive (it came with a Bb bass). Could anyone recommend a mouthpiece that would work reasonably well, perhaps on the smaller size?

Thanks in advance, Pete
ttf_Doug Elliott

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

Any of the mouthpieces that are typically sold as Cimbasso mouthpieces would work well.  My CB 119 rim and N cup, with either an N8 bass trombone shank or an NFAm  tuba shank - depends on the receiver.  See how your bass trombone mouthpiece fits, to judge the shank you'll need.  You might even be able to use that but it's probably too small in a lot of ways.

You probably have easy access to some Rath and Wick possibilities.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

To some extent it depends on the tuba.

I have an 1892 Conn Eb which has a rather small shank and it seems to work best with a Marcinkiewicz "Contrabass" mouthpiece: 105 or 107.  The original period mouthpiece I own is about a 1 1/2 G size rim and very deep.

I've also used a Mirafone H2 (Helleberg) and a Schilke 66 (Helleberg).

Doug can make you a nice setup too.
ttf_jpwell

Post by ttf_jpwell »

Schilke 62
PT-64
Mr P 6.4
PT-65

62 works better on in the staff and above
64 great all around
ttf_peteriley

Post by ttf_peteriley »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out my bass trombone shank against it when it arrives, and take it from there.

Cheers, Pete
ttf_marccromme

Post by ttf_marccromme »

If it's an old Eb tuba with something like a bass trombone shank, you could always try the DW tuba mouthpieces without the L on the name. These are small european shank size. Try the  DW 4 or DW3S (shallow cup).

Macinzinwitch 105 or 107 might be fine as well.

If it's standard american shank size, you might want to try a samll to medium size F tuba mouthpiece, for example the Yamaha Bobo solo, the DW 3SL, or any of the above mentioned.

ttf_marccromme

Post by ttf_marccromme »

... and check the tubenet  http://forums.chisham.com/ for good pointers ..
ttf_peteriley

Post by ttf_peteriley »

Thanks Marc. It all depends on the bore I guess. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get in info on it. I'm a little surprised that no one has suggested a Bach MP. Are they just not known for tubas?
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Most people who use Bach mouthpieces use 24AW, or larger (18 or 7).  These are pretty big for a small Eb tuba.  You could consider the 32E or 30E, but I found these to be a strange fit for my old Conn.

A surprisingly good large mouthpiece I found was a Herco Professional Eb.  It's got a really deep cup, wide rim, and a small tuba shank.  Not too many of these around.  If you were near me (southern New Hampshire) I'd let you try mine.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Here you go..
Bach 25

I use a Mt Vernon 25 on my mini Bb Tuba. A gem. Much smaller than the 24AW. Our tuba player is borrowing it to use on Cimbasso at the moment.  Sounds amazing and feels nice on the face.
Chris Stearn
ttf_peteriley

Post by ttf_peteriley »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the recs. on the Bach mouthpieces too. I like the idea of using the smallest one I can get away with. It'll still be much larger than a 1-1/2 G!

Pete
ttf_peteriley

Post by ttf_peteriley »

Hi again,

I tried several mouthpieces on the 3/4 Accord Eb bass this evening. The Bach 1-1/2 G bass trombone shank drops all the way in. The bump at the base of it almost seals it, but it's obviously too small. I also have a Spectrum 3L, which should fit (I've played on a full-size Bb bass with it), but it hits smaller bore tubing about 1.5 inches into the pipe. Seems like it's smaller bore but they put on a larger bore end section. I have one final tuba mouthpiece (with just the word "Germany" on it) that fits. But my whole mouth falls into it - it's too big.

So, I'm guessing that I need a larger bore option, but also one that has a shorter shank so that it doesn't hit smaller pipe inside.

Does that make any sense? If so, what should I get/do? 

I could trim 1/2 inch off the spectrum MP or get a Kelly plastic Mp and see how much I need to trim trim? Perhaps that'd be a good enough cheap option.

Thanks, Pete
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

The Kellyberg is probably a good choice.  And if you have to saw a little off the end you won't be too upset.  I have a friend who normally plays Euph and he started on tuba with the Kellyberg.
ttf_peteriley

Post by ttf_peteriley »

Thanks Bruce! Kelly has one for 1/2 price ($17) + $6 shipping, which I just ordered. That's got to be the cheapest playable mouthpiece out there. I'll see what needs to be chopped off and then try to get a better one later.

ttf_peteriley

Post by ttf_peteriley »

Thanks Bruce! Kelly has one for 1/2 price ($17) + $6 shipping, which I just ordered. That's got to be the cheapest playable mouthpiece out there. I'll see what needs to be chopped off and then try to get a better one later.

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”