Lip rolling

ttf_anonymous

Lip rolling

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi! So recently I've been really getting into the grind after a long hiatus. As I've been playing more I was told to keep my top lip at the same spot(I kept sliding it up and down to compensate for range). I've now been keeping it and only moving my bottom lip and it's shown a lot of improvement in both range quality and tone. A big issue I've been having though, is that when I'm progressing down into low Eb,Db,C, and pedal tones, my bottom lips protrudes into the mouthpiece. If I haven't played in a while it'll even start happening on just low F/E. I've tried  to keep myself from constantly worrying about my embouchure as that's ended up in me messing it up bad. I want to know what might cause this and how I can correct it. Thanks! P.S, it also feels like my tone is  spread since this started happening
ttf_trb420

Lip rolling

Post by ttf_trb420 »

Most people with downstream embouchures roll their bottom lip out to a degree to descend
ttf_Doug Elliott

Lip rolling

Post by ttf_Doug Elliott »

It's actually normal for the bottom lip to roll outward for low range, but it would happen less and cause less problems on a larger mouthpiece.

One key to dealing with it is to make sure you roll your bottom lip back in as you come up out of the low range.  Otherwise it can get stuck in the outward position and mess up your middle and high range.
ttf_Patels1

Lip rolling

Post by ttf_Patels1 »

I know that a little roll is ok, but it seems to go to far out into the mouthpiece to where my top lip isn't vibrating with my bottom lip bit the inside of the lip
ttf_Doug Elliott

Lip rolling

Is it working OK?  If so don't worry about it, just be sure you pull it back in as you go up.
ttf_Patels1

Lip rolling

Post by ttf_Patels1 »

It's not working too great! I should have mentioned that not only are those notes bland, a lot of times I can't hit them because of this issue, my low notes have also lost resonance and a 'center' to the tone as well
ttf_Doug Elliott

Lip rolling

I'd have to see what you're doing.
ttf_Doug Elliott

Lip rolling

I'd have to see what you're doing.

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”