If you could have only 3 horns...

ttf_NateR

Post by ttf_NateR »

Off topic, but Alf, what mouthpiece are you using for your Glassl?

-Nate
ttf_nopos

Post by ttf_nopos »

Quote from: NateR on Feb 17, 2010, 07:17AMOff topic, but Alf, what mouthpiece are you using for your Glassl?

-Nate

Currently a Yamaha 48A. Intonation on some partials can be a bit off on the Glassl and I find that the 48A helps a bit with this. I'll be trying out some german alto pieces by Werner Chr. Schmidt later this year. Supposedly they are a good match with the Glassl.

Alf
ttf_lou2cv

Post by ttf_lou2cv »

- Small silver plated Courtois 150 with F attachment. (The only trombone I actually own...)
- Unlaquered Holton tr 180 bass.
- No place for a third trombone !
ttf_RobertV

Post by ttf_RobertV »

- my own Shires .547
- a German-style tenor (not sure which one)
- a King 3B Silver Sonic with F-attachment
ttf_Glog

Post by ttf_Glog »

1.Conn 24H 0,484.
    2.Conn 88H Elkhart.
    3.Conn 62H Image
ttf_Bob Kolada

Post by ttf_Bob Kolada »

I have 3 horns which might fit into this-
-Benge 190F; Bach 3G and Yamaha 60B
-custom small bore Thayer F/C contra; working on the mp
-4 front valve Conn Giant Eb; Bach 18 or PT48

If I were to completely switch it up, I would go with-
-contrabass trumpet in F or a smaller bore 3 valve G baritone bugle; for jazz and such, also Bydlo!
-somewhat lighter F/Bb/D contrabass trombone; for all low trombone playing
-Willson 3400 Eb tuba :drool:; for tuba playing!

Ha! The second scenario might have me playing a G, F, and Eb!

I do have a bunch of other cool horns now- a clean King 606 (as well as a beater 606), Getzen 1062, Chinese bass trumpet, Amati euph my parents bought me in junior high, sweet medium front valve King Eb tuba,.... but I could do just fine with the top or second list of horns. 3 horns or not, the Amati would be kept as a 4th horn if only because of sentimental attachment. I would also want my Ergobone for the F trombones and probably for the contratrumpet/G baritone. Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My 3 horns would have to be:
1: My '46 Olds Super tenor bone
2: My large bore Cerveny CC tuba
3: a contrabass trombone, probably the Helmut Voigt contra in F/C/Bb (long model)

2 out of 3 ain't bad! Especially for a college kid...
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

If I could only have three horns, I'd have a lot more room in my house.   Image
ttf_Ellrod

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

1. I'd keep my 1963 Conn 88H (but I'd have the slide refurbed and I'd tinker with the valve).
2. I'd keep my Shires .525 (but, again, I'm interested in tinkering with the valve).
3. Bass is still up in the air. I recently played a Bach 50A (independent Hagmanns) that really impressed me.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: Ellrod on Oct 24, 2010, 07:13AM1. I'd keep my 1963 Conn 88H (but I'd have the slide refurbed and I'd tinker with the valve).
2. I'd keep my Shires .525 (but, again, I'm interested in tinkering with the valve).
3. Bass is still up in the air. I recently played a Bach 50A (independent Hagmanns) that really impressed me.
For most of us, we'd pick a horn in each of those three categories.  My wife doesn't seem to understand they are three distinct roles.  I had a concert band rehearsal this week.  I was in a rush and accidentally grabbed the small bore horn that I would keep -- a variation on a 3B.  That horn is fantastic for any small jazz group or combo, or a jazz big band on the top 2 parts.  But in concert band, it stunk.  Too much edge and not nearly enough volume.  Concert band or symphony orchestra is generally looking for a wall of sound without distinctly colored voices.

Another way of answering this question is what horns would you give up if you could only keep three.

In the case of jazz horns, I have a 6H slide and valve section coupled with a Connstellation bell and a Coprion bell.  I love those things, but only play them a couple times a year, so they'd be out.  I have a King 3B bell, but my real love is lighter weight Edwards bell on a 3B-F (now it is a G) section, so the King bell would definitely go.  The real dilemma is that I have a Silvertone (pre-2B) with a great Edwards 500/508 slide, and that bell has exquisite engraving.  I'd have a tough time deciding which to give up. 

In the larger tenor, I'd have to let the Greenhoe double valve tenor go.  It only gets played about three times a year.  And there is an Edwards 525 horn I play a lot, but I'd let that one go also because I'd keep my 525/547 horn due to its greater versatility.

Bass is another dilemma.  I have a super heavy Edwards bass that is fantastic for big orchestral pieces, but not great for big band.  And I have a Kanstul 1662i that is just the opposite.  This would come down to what I expected to be playing more: orchestra or big band.  Pressed with a decision, I'd let the Edwards go because with the right leadpipe and mouthpiece, the Kanstul does OK in orchestra.
ttf_sdjazz

Post by ttf_sdjazz »

I'd take:

Yamaha YSL-822O Xeno
Getzen 3047 AF
one of those old silver King 3B's

The list could go on..... Image
ttf_lingon

Post by ttf_lingon »

As the economy setup I would choose:
J.Michael TB-650M (0.525)
J.Michael TB-650L (0.547)
Fasch FPTM-350 (0.562)
 Image Image Image

If you have unlimited resources I can think of a lot of other interesting alternatives too...

ttf_s3si1u

Post by ttf_s3si1u »

After half a semester of college education, I think I would greatly change my response to this question. Image
Rather than going for the cool factor, I would choose horns for their versatility.

1. Yamaha 882OR (any "legit" playing. solo, orchestral, quintet, etc.)
2. Yamaha 891Z (jazz and any smaller ensembles that don't necessarily need a large bore, or whenever a small bore is needed in orchestral playing)
3. Yamaha 830 (very very versatile bass. Can play anything on it)

yeah...I like Yamaha Image

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Quote from: s3si1u on Oct 24, 2010, 01:17PMAfter half a semester of college education, I think I would greatly change my response to this question. Image
Rather than going for the cool factor, I would choose horns for their versatility.

2. Yamaha 891Z (jazz and any smaller ensembles that don't necessarily need a large bore, or whenever a small bore is needed in orchestral playing)

Isn't it amazing what happens with education? Image

This can be an interesting exercise.  As a further exercise think of what you would do if you could only have 2 horns.  One horn.  Would you start to limit the types of playing you do as your options change?  Would you select a horn based on its versatility?  Would you select a horn you might not even have in your "3 horns" list?

I also think we should delimit this to mean trombones.  Clearly you can't play tuba parts well on a trombone, and you can't play trombone parts well on a trumpet.  I know some trumpet players who own a raft of trumpets.  Maybe even one in each key Image

And I go back to my contention that a beginner should have only one instrument until they are developed enough that they can switch without messing up their embouchure.  Alto, small bore, large bore, bass.  Choose one and learn it.  They aren't like saxophones where all you do is put in the mouthpiece and blow (and I know I'm oversimplifying).

ttf_octavposaune

Post by ttf_octavposaune »

Bruce you have a very good point,

It is only necessary to have many instruments when one has developed far enough along as a player to get performance opportunities to need that diversity, whether that be professional gigs, or orchestral parts that you need an Alto, Bass or even a Contrabass to play adequately. 

I myself have a problem with TAS, but when I left college I only had ONE playable single trigger bass trombone, a Reynolds/Roth Contempora.  I also had some 1920's Olds TIS tenors that weren't really useable in a modern sense.  At that point if I had had enough funds for one horn, it would have been a Shires bass trombone, nothing else.

My fortunes and tastes have since changed and have acquired a small stable of horns.  There are many people on this forum that have more horns than most of us, but as a player you have to decide for yourself what you really need and how to fund those horns, not to mention whether they are really necessary at all.

Benn 

ttf_s3si1u

Post by ttf_s3si1u »

Quote from: BGuttman on Oct 24, 2010, 01:51PMIsn't it amazing what happens with education? Image

This can be an interesting exercise.  As a further exercise think of what you would do if you could only have 2 horns.  One horn.  Would you start to limit the types of playing you do as your options change?  Would you select a horn based on its versatility?  Would you select a horn you might not even have in your "3 horns" list?

Interesting to think about...
I think I would go for a large tenor and a bass, since I'm primarily a classical player. That, and I've always admired jazz bass trombone players, so I can go that route. Now if I could only have one horn...I'll get back to you on that Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: BGuttman on Oct 24, 2010, 01:51PMThis can be an interesting exercise.  As a further exercise think of what you would do if you could only have 2 horns.  One horn.  Would you start to limit the types of playing you do as your options change?  Would you select a horn based on its versatility?  Would you select a horn you might not even have in your "3 horns" list?
I would because I don't like to give up any playing opportunities.

If I had to go to two horns, I'd keep my favorite small horn and the other keeper would be the Greenhoe double-valve tenor.  I realize that's cheating because there aren't very many of those around.  But with some practice I could make that work in all of my bass trombone situations and because it looks like a bass, nobody would even know better.  And you can use it as a concert tenor.  I wouldn't enjoy carrying that much weight in my left hand all the time, but that's the trade-off I'd make until the weight made it impossible.

If I have to go to one horn, I'd have to make decisions about what kind of music I wanted to keep  playing because one horn cannot cover all my current situations.  I'd probably go to the small horn and just take jazz gigs.
ttf_lingon

Post by ttf_lingon »

Quote from: BGuttman on Oct 24, 2010, 01:51PM...This can be an interesting exercise.  As a further exercise think of what you would do if you could only have 2 horns.  One horn... 
...And I go back to my contention that a beginner should have only one instrument until they are developed enough that they can switch without messing up their embouchure...
Yes Bruce you are perfectly right. When starting out it may not be a good idea to play everything that sounds, or it may be?! There are some people, not many, that have had success playing all instruments that you can think of. Maynard Ferguson, James Morrison to name just two. But for us not so gifted I think the one instrument feature is best to start out with.

About two horns or even one. If two, I think I would like to have the beloved, my personal taste of course, 36B and the TR-180. A combination that have worked very well for so many years. And for one, I would choose a great 36B with which it is possible to play almost everything you may want if you have to. One of the first time I played in a professional orchestra the third part of Sibelius Finlandia was played by a 36B (not me though) with a 12C. It worked...

ttf_Matt K

Post by ttf_Matt K »

1. King 3BSGX
2. Bach 42 w/ Edwards F rotor
3. Edwards B454
ttf_sdjazz

Post by ttf_sdjazz »

Quote from: BGuttman on Oct 24, 2010, 01:51PMIsn't it amazing what happens with education? Image

I also think we should delimit this to mean trombones.  Clearly you can't play tuba parts well on a trombone, and you can't play trombone parts well on a trumpet.  I know some trumpet players who own a raft of trumpets.  Maybe even one in each key Image

And I go back to my contention that a beginner should have only one instrument until they are developed enough that they can switch without messing up their embouchure.  Alto, small bore, large bore, bass.  Choose one and learn it.  They aren't like saxophones where all you do is put in the mouthpiece and blow (and I know I'm oversimplifying).

At that, I would probably stay with a medium bore, like my current Yamaha 356 or maybe a Bach 36. They allow for most types of playing.

ttf_s3si1u

Post by ttf_s3si1u »

Well, if I had to go one horn...I'd take a Yamaha 882OR (which will be mine in a matter of days)
My first love is classical music, so I'd dedicate myself to that.
ttf_ausbbone

Post by ttf_ausbbone »

1: take ten greenhoe bach 50's. Have charlie vernon pick the best one. 2: remember the innova BONEZILLA? Add one of those. The third would be a mount vernon bach 45. With a great patina. For the pick two you can drop the bonezilla. For the pick one I would have quinn's double valve bach 45 with 562 slide. Sorry for the poor text formatting, I ain't got no enter key!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: tsmart on Feb 09, 2010, 06:03AMNot in any specific order....

Olds Opera - have  Image

Olds Super - have  Image

Olds Recording - have  Image

Williams - have  Image

George Roberts Bass - still searching....  Image

Wait... that's more than 3...  Image

T.
Just an update...

George Roberts Bass transaction in the making...
My list will be complete soon.  Image

T.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: tsmart on Oct 25, 2010, 09:53AMJust an update...

George Roberts Bass transaction in the making...
My list will be complete soon.  Image

T.

Somehow I think you might have missed the point of this thread.  Image
ttf_marcoflex

Post by ttf_marcoflex »

I would want
1) Conn 6H
2)Conn 88H
3) Bach 36B
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: actikid on Oct 25, 2010, 10:49AMSomehow I think you might have missed the point of this thread.  Image
Naw, just sating I'll have all my "dream horns" - no need to wish for more.  Image

T.
ttf_trombonehawaii

Post by ttf_trombonehawaii »

Quote from: trombonehawaii on Feb 08, 2010, 09:42PMTenor
-shires large bore with axial flow valve and gold brass bell (which I'm selling to get a bass)
-rath r3f gold brass bell, yellow tuning slide, bronze slide

Bass
-rath r9d dependent valve, all yellow brass

I'm going to revise my 3 trombone list:

1. Bass: Kanstul 1662i w/ unsoldered rim red brass bell (22g) and wide bronze slide.
2. Bass: Greenhoe Custom Bass (not sure of the specs yet and this will probably have to wait Image).
3. Tenor: Rath R3F w/ 8-1/2" gold brass bell, yellow brass tuning slide, and bronze slide.

The Kanstul 1662i I hope to get within the next few months when finances allow  Image
ttf_jmdhuse

Post by ttf_jmdhuse »

Hah, that's exactly what I have right next to me!  Good choices Image

Cheers, Jon.

Quote from: marcoflex on Oct 25, 2010, 12:15PMI would want
1) Conn 6H
2)Conn 88H
3) Bach 36B

ttf_Driving Park

Post by ttf_Driving Park »

King 3B (or maybe a 4B; I'd have to try them back to back) as the all-around horn for any jazz, small group, commercial, etc. work that I'd be doing.
Kanstul 1662i for any bass playing. This is what I'd go out with for any orchestral gigs, and possibly some jazz/commercial stuff as well.
Sterling Virtuoso euphonium with rimless bell - my primary axe (since I'm a euph player).

If we're talking just trombones, the 3rd horn would be a large bore tenor with F, preferably a Thayer or Hagmann. Don't ask me what brand or model, I haven't tried out many .547s yet.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'll revise my three to:

Rath R2 - Nickel Bell and handslide, gold brass handslide
Bach 34 - light gold brass bell standard slide
Edwards T396-A
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

The three trombones I have, with a new valve and a closed wrap for the 42B. Probably a Hagmann.
ttf_JimArcher

Post by ttf_JimArcher »

Quote from: JimArcher on Jul 27, 2007, 04:43PMIn new condition:

Bach 50 Independent, 80s

Olds Super

Olds Recording w/F-trigger

Revised with age:  the same Bach bass

Olds P-16 with a Herrick No. 1 Leadpipe

Olds O-25

ttf_ronkny

Post by ttf_ronkny »

What I have now

Yamaha 882OR  Love!
Shires Hagmann inline bass  Love
King 2B  Never tried any other so I'm open to suggetions
I'd like a medium bore so maybe a Shires 508/525 dual bore?
ttf_artyart

Post by ttf_artyart »

A late 70's 50b frankenbach Image
An Early 80's modified tr158/258
A Mid 50's Olds Special (modified)
I play bass trombone almost all the time (except for a few small brass gigs)
The little horn is for an occasional rock/funk band I get to work with now and then.
ttf_Trav1s

Post by ttf_Trav1s »

I have two of the three...

77H Connquest - Nice playing .500"
79H - My go to horn

The final part of the trio is either a Greenhoe 88HT or Rath R4 with a Greenhoe valve
ttf_LeoInFL

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

If I could have anything, then here's the 3 I'd have/create:

1)Pristine 50's era King 2B Silversonic

2) Custom Conn 100H 'Vocabell' ~ custom leadpipes (sterling?), gold grips & neckpipe, lightweight slide, custom full-horn engraving, rimless 8" sterling bell w/gold wash.

3) Custom Convertible Bach Strad 36C ~ custom threaded leadpipes (sterling?), gold grips & neckpipe, lightweight slide, custom full-horn engraving, Hagmann or CL2000 valve, thinwall rose brass 8" bell, edge-bracing on the attachment, adjustable valve trigger behind the bell brace.

ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hmmm . . . so it would have to be an alto, a tenor and a bass . . . tricky. Do sackbuts count Image? Alright, it's always good to try to detach oneself from worldly possessions (or so I'm told) - but it still hurts  Image! Okay, here goes: a Helmut Voigt alto, #3 bore with a b flat valve (Stephan Voigt makes AWESOME altos!), my 1923 Martin Handcraft Symphony ( .500"/.526" dual bore, 7.5" bell with a HUGE throat - I have to use bass trombone straight & cup mutes - silver plated with gold wash. I can play anything with this - the false register is so good I've actually had professional trombonists believe there was a valve on it  Image) and my dear Shires bass (inline axial flow valves - maybe I'd switch them for tru-bores) that has two bells - two horns in one (I love to cheat  Image). Since there is no room for a contra, I'd have to use the cimbasso instead ( Image  Image).
Actually, this would make a good (?) reality show on TV - Survivor with trombonists who were only allowed to bring three instruments! I know I would watch . . . (but maybe not sober Image). Slide in peace / Nisse (btw I just notice that the speeling check wants me to write vomit in stead of Voigt. A bit harsh, don't you think?  Image )
ttf_SilverBone

Post by ttf_SilverBone »

Quote from: LeoInFL on Oct 26, 2010, 09:41AM
Custom Conn 100H 'Vocabell' ~ rimless 8" sterling bell w/gold wash.

Does such a bell even exist?  All of the Vocabells I've seen are brass.
ttf_LeoInFL

Post by ttf_LeoInFL »

Quote from: SilverBone on Oct 26, 2010, 06:21PMDoes such a bell even exist?  All of the Vocabells I've seen are brass.
nope, doesn't exist (neither does the strad i described). just wishing out loud and creating my own 'perfect' horns. if i had the means i'd have them cobbled up!
ttf_s3si1u

Post by ttf_s3si1u »

Quote from: s3si1u on Oct 24, 2010, 01:17PMAfter half a semester of college education, I think I would greatly change my response to this question. Image

One down, two to go! Picking up my 882OR on friday. Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: LeoInFL on Oct 26, 2010, 06:44PMnope, doesn't exist (neither does the strad i described). just wishing out loud and creating my own 'perfect' horns. if i had the means i'd have them cobbled up!
In other words, that is about as real as the idea that I would give up all but three of my horns.  Image
ttf_s3si1u

Post by ttf_s3si1u »

Quote from: actikid on Oct 26, 2010, 07:35PMIn other words, that is about as real as the idea that I would give up all but three of my horns.  Image
If we were on Facebook, I would totally "like" this  Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

OK.  Maybe we can ask another variation of this question.  For those of us with more than three horns, what would you give up BEFORE you would give up all but 3 horns.

Would you give up your house, your marriage, your dog, your job?  Would you give up going out to restaurants?  Would you drive an old junker? 

Where do these hunks of metal fit into the priorities of your life?

ttf_Gongadin

Post by ttf_Gongadin »

1)I'd keep my '66 Holton TR-180
2)I'd keep one of my Conn 60I double bell euphoniums
3)I'd get one of the superior craftsmen (like Robb Stewart) to craft me a custom-made BBb contrabass trombone, with the exact same slide positioning as my TR-180 so that I wouldn't have to learn a completely new animal!    Image Image Image
ttf_Trombomoron

Post by ttf_Trombomoron »

Hmm . . . actikid, do you actually mean that there are trombonists that still have wives, cars, dogs and houses to give up  Image? Actually, I would have problems giving up my dirt-o-mobile (a Skoda that I've driven 260000 km), because I wouldn't be able to get to the gigs. But, of course, on a moderately-sized island, a donkey or camel would do the trick . . . but the basic question is, of course, a tricky (and evil!  Image) one. Also, it requires more information to be able to make a rational decisions. Will there be string players in the vicinity? Crooners? Buddy Rich? Brünnhilde-style mezzo-sopranos? Maurice André? Conductors? "Early music"-fanatics? Ozzy Osbourne? Michael Praetorius? Soprano saxophone players? Oh my god, I would have to bring 13 trombones  . . . or . . . nah, I'll just bring my Martin Symphony, a truck load of really nice Czech beer and choose a favourite pet out of the local fauna. I've always fancied a pet aardvark . . . or a fruit bat (called Eric, of course, and not infected by the Nipah virus). Oh, and if I'm going to have to reduce my trombone collection, it would have to be in a warm and sunny place! October and especially November aren't really the best parts of the year in Sweden  Image.

This is getting way too existential for me. I'm off to bed. Sweet (i.e. Tommy Dorsey Image) dreams! / Nisse
ttf_s3si1u

Post by ttf_s3si1u »

Quote from: Trombomoron on Oct 27, 2010, 02:11PMHmm . . . actikid, do you actually mean that there are trombonists that still have wives, cars, dogs and houses to give up  Image? Actually, I would have problems giving up my dirt-o-mobile (a Skoda that I've driven 260000 km), because I wouldn't be able to get to the gigs. But, of course, on a moderately-sized island, a donkey or camel would do the trick . . . but the basic question is, of course, a tricky (and evil!  Image) one. Also, it requires more information to be able to make a rational decisions. Will there be string players in the vicinity? Crooners? Buddy Rich? Brünnhilde-style mezzo-sopranos? Maurice André? Conductors? "Early music"-fanatics? Ozzy Osbourne? Michael Praetorius? Soprano saxophone players? Oh my god, I would have to bring 13 trombones  . . . or . . . nah, I'll just bring my Martin Symphony, a truck load of really nice Czech beer and choose a favourite pet out of the local fauna. I've always fancied a pet aardvark . . . or a fruit bat (called Eric, of course, and not infected by the Nipah virus). Oh, and if I'm going to have to reduce my trombone collection, it would have to be in a warm and sunny place! October and especially November aren't really the best parts of the year in Sweden  Image.

This is getting way too existential for me. I'm off to bed. Sweet (i.e. Tommy Dorsey Image) dreams! / Nisse
BUT IT'S ONLY 2:30PM!!!!!! Image Image Image Image
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

i already have one, my 1961 king 2b silversonic. great horn. i want to get a Conn 88HCL, maybe an '88hcl-sgx, and probably some bass like a bach strad
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

My choice 3:

Smallbore:   Edwards T302
Large Bore:  King 4B with an Edwards Thayer
Bass Bone:   Conn 62H with Greenhoe Valves

Subject to review, of course.
ttf_Paul Martin

Post by ttf_Paul Martin »

Quote from: CloudStrife5671 on Oct 28, 2010, 07:47PMMy choice 3: