My membership application never went through!

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I thought I'd make up this topic for those who are thinking of joining or who tried to join and for some reason it never went through.

Note that I have to go through 3-5 applications for every one I accept.  Most of them are not from people, but 'bots.  Most of these bots are not interested in playing trombone.  Often they have some nefarious purpose like "harvesting" all your e-mails for identity theft or scam e-mails.  Others want to put huge lists of [probably bogus] merchandise in the Classified Ads.

If you placed an application and it didn't go through, here are a few reasons a membership gets rejected.

1.  You put gibberish in the My Trombones, My Name, or My School.  If you aren't serious, neither are we.  The main reason I can identify the 'bots is that they use a 3 letter 3 number value in each of these fields.  Some folks use random letters.

2.  You put something ridiculous in My Trombones or My School.  I don't know of any trombone called Cricket or Football (and I probably know most of the brands out there).  If you don't own a trombone, you can say something like "my kid has a trombone" or "I write for trombones".

3.  Your e-mail is bogus.  If I'm not sure of your connection to Trombones, I'll send an e-mail asking for more information.  If that e-mail is undeliverable, you are automatically rejected.  Note that if I need to contact you for any other reason and your e-mail comes back as undeliverable, you will also be ejected from the Forum.  If your e-mail changes, send one of the Admins a PM or an E-mail and we can fix it.

4.  If I find somebody else with the same IP address as your application, I'm going to ask you about it.  There are lots of valid reasons for two people to have the same IP address, but we don't allow duplicate accounts.  If I get two applications with the same e-mail and same IP address I'm probably going to reject it.

5.  The baby got thrown out with the bath water.  It's happened.  I had 20 applications and one of them was genuine, but somehow I missed it.  I don't think it happens too often, but we're only human.

Thank you for your understanding.

ttf_Thomas Matta

Post by ttf_Thomas Matta »

Great post, Bruce!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I have an apology to make.

Two of you applied for membership last night (amid the usual pile of rejects).  I accidentally rejected your memberships.

If you applied Saturday evening (22 Dec 2012) or early Sunday morning (23 Dec 2012) and didn't receive a confirmation e-mail, please reapply.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Bruce
Just wanted to say thank you for your work and dedication to the forum.  Not just this membership nightmare you deal with daily but also your routine introductory posts to new users.

Appreciate your commitment to make this such a great site.

Cheers and happy holidays to you and the other moderators also!

Jim
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Jim
Thank you for expressing what I feel too.
All the best to the members of the 'staff'!
Wolfgang
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Just want to remind people about the duplicate accounts thing I mentioned above.

I am waiting on two of you to reply to me.  One apparently has a bad e-mail on the old account but has not replied to my request so BOTH are now subject to rejection.

If you set up a special e-mail for TTF, please check it from time to time!!!!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Bruce, thanks for your diligent work!  I had no idea of the time involved just to sort out bogus applications.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I'm grateful such care is taken in ensuring The Trombone Forum is a safe and secure place for so many like-minded enthusiasts.  This speaks highly of the expertise of the Forum's staff in all things "web" as well.  A big THANK-YOU from this 'bonist.  Matt   
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I had a case where somebody forgot their password and couldn't use the links in the Forum for a password reset.  For some reason, you can't just use them (it's way above my pay grade to fix this).

If you have a question about your account, or your account application, send an e-mail to [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] and I'll try to get back to you.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I just want to remind new applicants that your application has to be reviewed and approved.  I seem to be doing most of these.  I do spend a lot of time on the Forum (a result of being retired and to the annoyance of my wife) but I'm not on 24/7.  Also, there are some things that seem to be taking a longish time so if you don't get any feedback immediately, please have patience.

I had one double application today and one triple.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Sounds like this is a membership. If so, when do we get our jackets. You know - the ones for MEMBERS ONLY?  Image
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I've been getting a lot of double (and even triple) membership applications.  Please note that you aren't automatically registered when you apply.  I (or another Admin) have to review your application after which you will get a message of confirmation.

If you don't get a reply immediately, please be patient.  I'm not available 24/7 like Siri -- I have a life outside the Forum.  I'm not a 'bot.  If you don't hear from the Forum in 24 hours, please feel free to send me an e-mail: [url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url].

Thanks for your patience.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I wonder if the application form is having the same issue posting and PMs are having where when you hit submit, it stalls a long time and people are thinking it has not gone through and try again.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

tbathras writes:

> I wonder if the application form is having the same issue
> posting and PMs are having where when you hit submit,
> it stalls a long time and people are thinking it has not
> gone through and try again.

I'd bet on it.

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I also understand that some people are getting error messages and reapply.  I then wind up with two account applications.

If you get an error message, wait a day.  If your application went through you will get a confirmation e-mail from the Forum.  But make sure the e-mail you give is valid and that you check it!!!
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I just would like to say thanks to the wonderful people who keep the forum running you guys are awesome.

Russ
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

I have forgotten my password previously and I tried to reset my password in TTF, but it doesn't seems to be working. Then I tried to register a new account with the same email, and it failed because it is already exists in the system. Finally I searched all all the way back to year 2011 email in my inbox and luckily I'm able to find my password.

My suggestion is.... to at least fix the "forgot my password" function.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

[sigh]  If I could, I would.

If you forget your password, just send me an e-mail ([url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] or use the link in my profile) and I can reset it for you.  I'll issue a temporary password that you can change next time you log in.
ttf_reiden

Post by ttf_reiden »

Quote from: BGuttman on Jan 13, 2016, 10:11AM[sigh]  If I could, I would.

If you forget your password, just send me an e-mail ([url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] or use the link in my profile) and I can reset it for you.  I'll issue a temporary password that you can change next time you log in.

Thanks, I have no issue right now, but I'm talking about the others member that might forgotten their password and they can't even login here to contact you, unless they have your email saved somewhere before that.  Image
ttf_RedHotMama

Post by ttf_RedHotMama »

Hello. I'm sure Bruce won't mind my giving his "other" email here.

As has been noted, if you can't get into TTF at all, you can't access it!

Save it now....

[url=mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

I just want to remind people.

I have no sense of humor about applications.  If you call your trombone "one with a slide", "a slidey one", "a good one", or anything like that you will get a "Who are you" message from me.

Please just respond to the e-mail and tell me a little about your connection to Trombones.  I will accept things like "Son plays" or "Looking for one".  I also accept "interested in writing", "Play in Jazz Band", and other indications that while you are not a trombone player you are interested in the instrument.

But please.  Don't try to be "cute" with me.
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Bruce- This is the other Bruce.  You do a splendid job.  Period!
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Just an update.  I don't think the Site is sending out the e-mails it is supposed to.

If you don't get a letter from me within 24 hours, try logging in; you are probably approved.  If not, reapply.
ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

Just an update.  I don't think the Site is sending out the e-mails it is supposed to.

If you don't get a letter from me within 24 hours, try logging in; you are probably approved.  If not, reapply.

Return to “Comments and Suggestions”