Forum forgets me...

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
PaKETaZ

Forum forgets me...

Post by PaKETaZ » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:11 pm

I can’t easily come back to the forum: it erratically forgets me...

I have to relog nearly each time I come back (several times a day...). Sometimes I’m still logged, but when I read a topic: unlogged...

“Remember me” login keys flushed, board cookies deleted, iPhone/iPad Safari cache and history deleted, devices rebooted several times.

I really don’t know what to do. Am I the only one?

I can’t say anything with a computer: I don’t really use one.

iPhone 6 - iPad Air 2 - iOS 11.3
-Julien-
Yamaha 891Z, Yamaha 3530R, Yamaha 640
BGuttman

Re: Forum forgets me...

Post by BGuttman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:32 pm

I get automatically logged out from time to time. Used to be worse; seemed to be you logged in and got only 1 hour of connect time.

I told Chrome to remember my password (I only use it on this and The Trombone Forum, so if it gets stolen there isn't much they can get). I also told Chrome and Firefox to remember me so when I get logged off, I can just log back in almost automatically.

Don't feel bad; you are not alone. Even Moderators get "bumped off".

I kinda liked how I could log into TTF for a week at a time.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:38 pm

Can you try another browser on your iOS device? Mobile Safari is difficult to troubleshoot but that would be the easiest way to see if it's the phpBB software or something with your ISP or device.

Do you use a VPN? Are you always on wifi or do you switch between wifi and mobile internet while you're out and about?

I've not had any trouble on my mobile device but I'm on Android so that isn't necessarily indicative of the existence of a problem or not.
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:39 pm

Bruce,

That's interesting. I've yet to be logged out a single time since the upgrade. Who else is having behavior similar to that? Could you report:

OS
Browser (version if you don't mind supplying it, too)
How frequently you get bumped out
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:44 pm

In the mean time, I changed some of the browser and ip level verification to be a little more loose. I'll dig out my iPad tonight and see if I can replicate the issue.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:45 pm

Matt K wrote:
Tue May 28, 2452 10:59 pm
Bruce,

That's interesting. I've yet to be logged out a single time since the upgrade. Who else is having behavior similar to that? Could you report:

OS
Browser (version if you don't mind supplying it, too)
How frequently you get bumped out
I bounce between 3 machines:

Thinkpad T510 running Windows 10 Home Premium and Firefox (whatever is the latest -- it keeps updating me).
Dell Precision M4500 running Windows 10 Professional and Chrome.
Dell Precision M4500 running Windows 7 Professional and Chrome.

Sometimes I'll switch machines and discover I'm logged out.
Sometimes if I haven't been on for a while I'll discover I'm logged out on the same machine.

It's really not more than an inconvenience; as I mentioned my login credentials are saved on all 3 machines and login is pretty quick.

I wouldn't object to the default login being good for a week or a month...
Bruce Guttman
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:53 pm

The default login is actually set to be indefinite, so it's definitely either a security setting or a bug somewhere.
PaKETaZ

Post by PaKETaZ » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:55 pm

Matt K wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:38 pm
Can you try another browser on your iOS device? Mobile Safari is difficult to troubleshoot but that would be the easiest way to see if it's the phpBB software or something with your ISP or device.

Do you use a VPN? Are you always on wifi or do you switch between wifi and mobile internet while you're out and about?

I've not had any trouble on my mobile device but I'm on Android so that isn't necessarily indicative of the existence of a problem or not.
I don’t use a VPN. I’m switching between WiFi and mobile internet all the day...

Ok: I will try Chrome to see if something changes and I’ll let you know.

Thank you Matt: we really appreciate your work!

Bruce: with TTF I was NEVER kicked off!
-Julien-
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:03 pm

PaKETaZ wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:55 pm
Matt K wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:38 pm

I don’t use a VPN. I’m switching between WiFi and mobile internet all the day...

Ok: I will try Chrome to see if something changes and I’ll let you know.

Thank you Matt: we really appreciate your work!

Bruce: with TTF I was NEVER kicked off!
No problem! Hopefully we can get these problems resolved quickly now that we're on the newest version.

I believe in Bruce's case it's that there are different browsers. There is a security loop hole that someone can use to spoof a connection and the browser authentication is one way of preventing it. Basically if it detects a different browser being used, it forces the person to reconnect.

Similar with the IPs. I suspect in your case that is the problem. I will have to do some investigation to see if it is wise to turn these security settings off or if there is some way around them. But the Chrome thing might fix them. I'm not sure if its per user or per session. E.g. if I log in with Chrome on one machine and Firefox on another, will it then kick me off because I'm on a different browser? I don't think so because I've been switching back and forth. BUT if it thinks it switches within the user session (e.g. on my phone when I go from wifi to cellular) then that might be the hiccup.
StefanHaller

Post by StefanHaller » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:20 pm

Matt K wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:39 pm
That's interesting. I've yet to be logged out a single time since the upgrade.
Same here, but a moment ago I found myself logged out for the first time. This was on iOS with Safari after I came home, so connected to WiFi; I had used it before on mobile data. During the last couple of days I switched between mobile data and WiFi multiple times without getting logged out though.
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:35 pm

StefanHaller wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:20 pm
Matt K wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:39 pm
That's interesting. I've yet to be logged out a single time since the upgrade.
Same here, but a moment ago I found myself logged out for the first time. This was on iOS with Safari after I came home, so connected to WiFi; I had used it before on mobile data. During the last couple of days I switched between mobile data and WiFi multiple times without getting logged out though.
Must be session level then!
PaKETaZ

Post by PaKETaZ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Matt K wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:44 pm
In the mean time, I changed some of the browser and ip level verification to be a little more loose. I'll dig out my iPad tonight and see if I can replicate the issue.
Well: I use iOS Safari since Thursday and I had NEVER been disconnected... WiFi and mobile internet. I think what you did at the moment was the right thing Matt.
Thanks! :good:
-Julien-
PaKETaZ

Post by PaKETaZ » Wed May 30, 2018 1:29 pm

I have the infamous “log in back problem” since a few days: something has changed in the server settings?

I cleared evething i could on my iPad/iPhone, but I’m unlogged repeatedly...
-Julien-
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Wed May 30, 2018 1:35 pm

PaKETaZ wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 1:29 pm
I have the infamous “log in back problem” since a few days: something has changed in the server settings?

I cleared evething i could on my iPad/iPhone, but I’m unlogged repeatedly...
Yeah the DNS has been altered a few times since yesterday so we might get some turbulence for a day or two. Could you let me know in a day or two if you're still having the problem? Also anyone else who might be having the issue as well. I suspect it might be your systems dns. I had that trouble on my phone today but going "incognito" fixed it, which is what is leading me to that conclusion.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman » Wed May 30, 2018 2:09 pm

I've had this problem since Day 1 and it hasn't gone away. If I don't actively use TC for a couple of hours it "forgets" me and I need to log back in to use any feature that requires I be logged in. Since I use a password that is used only for this Forum and TTF, I let my browser "remember" the password and a relog is merely a click away.
Bruce Guttman
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Wed May 30, 2018 2:51 pm

Interesting. I'll see if I can spend some time investigating this weekend when this DNS problem has blown over. I can open up a ticket with the phpBB software and see if other forums are having the issue as well. It's hard for me to fix something I can't replicate and I haven't had any luck replicating some of these issues!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus » Wed May 30, 2018 4:08 pm

Aside from the temporary outage yesterday, I have had no problem with TromboneChat forgetting me, except when I intentionally clear my cache / cookies, in which case I must re-enter my user name & password. But apparently some browsers can be set to automatically clear cache / cookies when exiting. In any case, it's always been easy for me to enter the door.
PaKETaZ

Post by PaKETaZ » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:31 pm

Ok. It seems the problem comes only from my iPad, not my iPhone. Strange...
I have already flushed away “Remember Me” login keys, deleted cookies directly from the forum main page then from the device settings, unlogged from iCloud then logged in back... Several times... Don’t know...
-Julien-
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:27 pm

PaKETaZ wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:31 pm
Ok. It seems the problem comes only from my iPad, not my iPhone. Strange...
I have already flushed away “Remember Me” login keys, deleted cookies directly from the forum main page then from the device settings, unlogged from iCloud then logged in back... Several times... Don’t know...
Still using Safari on both devices, right? Do you use the same Wifi network for both devices? (I'm assuming you use internet over your phone provider for your phone as well, but not the iPad?) Are they the same iOS version?

(Trying to figure out what differences there might be.)
PaKETaZ

Post by PaKETaZ » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:29 am

Yes, I'm talking about trombonechatting at home, with same WiFi, same iOS version (up to date) and Safari on both devices.

But if I’m alone, don’t burden you: I will investigate more myself.

Thanks Matt
-Julien-
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:59 am

You aren't alone. If I simply move away from TC in my browser, or use a non-online app (like a game) and come back I need to relog into TC. And I'm supposedly staff with higher access.

I'm sure Matt K will figure it out or find somebody who can.
Bruce Guttman
Matt K

Post by Matt K » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:23 am

Its probably a security setting. It's one of the things thats a little annoying about privacy --- sites like Facebook, for example, know that it's "you" when you come back because they track a LOT of information about it. phpBB by default does very, very little of this. Therefore, if you have some change between our servers and you... it'll say, "Hey, wait a minute... that's a different IP address" or "Hey, hold up, that person might have left their chair and not locked their computer for 25 minutes... I better make sure someone doesn't post something on their behalf". I've disabled most of the latter settings because they're really more inconveniences and we're not dealing with anything remotely sensitive.

The problem is that I don't have the problem so it's hard to replicate. Therefore, I can assume that it isn't the latter --- unless there is some personal account setting that one might have changed. The more information I can get the better. Fortunately, it's presently more of an inconvenience than anything and not more pervasive (like the login issues that plagued the last software). I didn't have much time to play around with it this weekend, but I should this week a little. Please, if anyone else is having the problem, let me know about it. The more information I can get the faster I'll probably be able to solve it!!

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”