Conn 100H

ttf_TheFreak90

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_TheFreak90 »

I was looking into popular Jazz horns and saw that there are a few jazz trombonists that use the Conn 100H. I was just wondering about the Conn 100H's specs. Comparable to a King 2 or 3 B? Any drawbacks? Flexible in tone color?
ttf_anonymous

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hate 'em.

The old Minick 100Hs are superb. I've played one, sadly it wasn't for sale. The new ones IMHO just lack a lot of color and flexibility. Some peope like them though. They're .500" bore, usually yellow brass all the way around. Size-wise it's between a 2B and 3B. If you wanted a setup like this I'd search for an old Elkhart 6H. That's what I have, they aren't too hard to find.

Just try out all you can. I hate the new 100Hs, but that's just me. Try it anyway. If you like it, go for it!
ttf_Barnstormer

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_Barnstormer »

Elkhart 6H=Teh pwn!
ttf_anonymous

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Pretty much my observations, too (Andrew's). the 100H is supposed to be the model that takes over for 6H. Rather like undertake. (pardon the pun).
erling
6H kicks
ttf_anonymous

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Quote from: "barnstormer07"Elkhart 6H=Teh pwn!

What???
ttf_Barnstormer

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_Barnstormer »

Quote from: "dan.gentry"Quote from: "barnstormer07"Elkhart 6H=Teh pwn!

What???

LoL, sorry I'm half nerd.  Basically it means the 6H is awesome.
ttf_rodglu

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_rodglu »

If you want to buy a Conn, I second (third) the vote for an old 6H.  I bought one about two years ago and it's the best .500 bore horn I've ever played.

I owned a 100H for about 19 years.  I bought one of the first ones available in the Detroit area (1983) when I was in college.  It was different than the model offered today.  The bell was 8", and it had the curved hand brace like the Minick horn.  An old-timer in the area had a Minick horn, and the 100H looked quite similiar.  I don't know how the Minick played, because he wouldn't let me try it.  The 100H played much better than the 1982 King 2B I was playing at the time (a terrible horn).

My playing decreased in the 90's due to my marriage, kids, job, etc.  Then along came e-bay.  My second purchase was an Elkhart Conn 48H, and I couldn't believe how much better it was that the 100H.  It was far more open, especially in the upper register, and it slotted wonderfully.  I let my buddy play it, and he loved it, so I sold it to him (he plays alot in the Detroit area, and says it's the best horn he's ever owned).  I decided to try other horns, and I purchased and sold quite a few (3B's, Olds Recording, Bach 16, etc.).  Then I bought an Elkart 6H, and my search was over.  It blows like a charm and has a huge, warm sound.  The upper range is awesome.  I immediately put the 100H up for sale on e-bay, and haven't looked back since.

However, don't limit yourself to one horn or one manufacturer.  You have so much to chose from today, much more than when I was in college.  Try as many horns as you can before you buy.  Happy hunting.

Rod Glusac
ttf_TheFreak90

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_TheFreak90 »

I am currently not looking into buying a "jazzer", but I am just researching some horns. Thanks for the Info Guys!
ttf_Ellrod

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_Ellrod »

I had a 100H (as well as a Minick) for a while.  

The Conn was a bit of a dog.  You'd clean and lube the slide and it would remain playable for, maybe, 30 minutes tops.  A trip down to the Slide Doctor resulted in a good slide for half an hour.  Not the SD's fault.  John Sandhagen in a recent post mentioned that there was a design or construction flaw that affected 100H slides. "Buyer beware" might apply if you're considering one of these horns.

By the way, I had a Minick .500 bore, 8" horn with the tootsie roll counterweights.  Not very similar to the Conn.  The Minick didn't say anything like "100H" on it either.
ttf_macbone

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_macbone »

I have a 100HS which I chose over a Selmer Bolero and other notable gems at Dillon's. The slide is one of the best I have ever owned and the horn is responsive and well made. Not great at projecting but once I got a Wedge rim mp that helped a lot.  Tiny bit front heavy but not a deal breaker.  Guess I was just lucky....
ttf_tbathras

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: macbone on Aug 15, 2017, 01:38PMI have a 100HS which I chose over a Selmer Bolero and other notable gems at Dillon's. The slide is one of the best I have ever owned and the horn is responsive and well made. Not great at projecting but once I got a Wedge rim mp that helped a lot.  Tiny bit front heavy but not a deal breaker.  Guess I was just lucky....

When about did you get that 100H from Dillon?  Don't see many of the silver ones and I traded mine in there back a few years ago.  Always wondered if I'd find out where it ended up.  Slim chance, but thought I'd ask.
ttf_Posaunus

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_Posaunus »

Quote from: Barnstormer on Jan 23, 2005, 12:05PMWhat???

LoL, sorry I'm half nerd.  Basically it [Teh pwn!] means the 6H is awesome.

Thanks for the explanation, since I was totally at sea on that one. 
Compounded by the Urban Dictionary explanation:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=teh%20pwn

Probably better to stick with standard English on this forum! 
ttf_macbone

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_macbone »

Tbathras, I bought it in spring 2013.  The bell rim had suffered quite a whack on the slide side and tuning slide was dented too.  Traces of little removed dents here and there including the slide. All 3 lead pipes were there.  I had the dents removed.  Good horn for a player with a paint peeling tone, mellows it right out.  I actually have a dark sound but still liked the horn.
ttf_macbone

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_macbone »

Leaving that Bolero at Dillon's was a tough decision! 😉
ttf_Pre59

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

I had one that I bought untried when working on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. None of the 3 leadpipes fitted properly and had to be secured with Duct tape. The first thing I did when I got back home was to move it on. UMI really shot themselves in the foot when they dropped the classic 6H/5H horn.
ttf_tbathras

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Quote from: macbone on Aug 15, 2017, 05:37PMTbathras, I bought it in spring 2013.  The bell rim had suffered quite a whack on the slide side and tuning slide was dented too.  Traces of little removed dents here and there including the slide. All 3 lead pipes were there.  I had the dents removed.  Good horn for a player with a paint peeling tone, mellows it right out.  I actually have a dark sound but still liked the horn.

Might be mine.  I brought mine into Dillon's the spring of 2014 though, but it did have the dents you mention.  You sure it wasn't 2014?
ttf_stanzabone

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_stanzabone »

Quote from: rodglu on Jan 23, 2005, 07:21PM The bell was 8", and it had the curved hand brace like the Minick horn.  An old-timer in the area had a Minick horn, and the 100H looked quite similiar.  I don't know how the Minick played, because he wouldn't let me try it.  The 100H played much better than the 1982 King 2B I was playing at the time (a terrible horn).
Rod Glusac
LOLing a little bit here, I had two section mates in the Air Force that had Minick horns, one was a 100-H style tenor & the other a bass. I never played so much as a lick on either one! They were very protective of their babies. They did have some great stories about Larry, as they were stationed at March AFB in SoCal & would drive there periodically to see the progress as they were being built.
ttf_macbone

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_macbone »

Maybe it was 2014
ttf_harrison.t.reed

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_harrison.t.reed »

(did everyone have TTF break on them? This thread ended in 2005)
ttf_dj kennedy

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
TIME   WARP   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU WANNA 100 HHHHHHHH
   TAKE YOUR PIC
MONKEY GRIP  IN NEW  W  THREE  PIPES ---ONE HAS 12C STUCK INNIT ---FREE DENT IN SLIDE and gobs of  marching band   musiv
=============
 beater    from  ESCOBAR  IN LA --
==================

ttf_dj kennedy

Conn 100H

Post by ttf_dj kennedy »

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
TIME   WARP   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU WANNA 100 HHHHHHHH
   TAKE YOUR PIC
MONKEY GRIP  IN NEW  W  THREE  PIPES ---ONE HAS 12C STUCK INNIT ---FREE DENT IN SLIDE and gobs of  marching band   musiv
=============
 beater    from  ESCOBAR  IN LA --
==================

Return to “Instruments”