"Great War Sextet" for Trombone and Strings

BenSajo

"Great War Sextet" for Trombone and Strings

Post by BenSajo »

Dear Trombone Forum,

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Benjamin Sajo, a composer. I'm looking for a collaborator/champion of a major work I've recently completed after several years, on and off. It's a setting of five poems by Commonwealth (4 Canadian and 1 Australian) soldiers who died in Europe during World War I, including "In Flanders Fields".

I'm very happy to have found you people! I've been shopping around for quite a while but have yet to find any players ultimately willing to take this project on. All the parts along with the score are attached.

Below are the program notes:

"The music sets the poetry of five Canadian and one Australian poet who partook in world
war I. These poems come from the compilation, We Wasn’t Pals: Canadian Poetry and Prose of
the First World War, edited by Barry Callaghan and Bruce Meyer (Toronto: Exile Editions Ltd.,
2001). Stylistically, the music draws inspiration from the turn of the twentieth century and
expresses a duality between neo-Romantic sentimentality and expressionist grotesque. Just as
the First World War bridges the modern age, thusly does this music seek to evoke the zeitgeist of
the times.
1. John McCrae, "In Flanders Fields” — pneumonia 1918
2. W.W.E. Ross, “Soldiery” —survived war.
3. H. Smalley Sarsom, “Love Song”— Wounded at Ypres, 1916
4. William H. Ogilvie, “Canadians” — survived war.
5. Bernard Freeman Trotter, “Smoke”— killed in action, 1917
6. A. Audet, “No Man’s Land”— survived war
The trombonist of this work represents the wayfaring protagonist soldier; his instrument
his gun. The strings evoke both the literal sounds of the world around him—rustling winds, a
nightingale, explosions—and the inner emotions such situations evoke—nostalgia, terror,
serenity. Both the trombonist and string quartet use their bodies along with normal, instrumental
technique, to create unique sounds and theatrical effects: marching on the spot and drumming on
their instruments primarily. Each movement begins with the poem presented as dry recitative by
the ensemble, followed by the more musical interpretation."

There is no midi sample available. Feel free to print and try it out on your own! Let me know what you think! I'm based in Ottawa, Canada; if you're near, let's go for coffee.

Thank you for your time,
Ben
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BenSajo on Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
AndrewMeronek

Re: "Great War Sextet" for Trombone and Strings: Composer looking for Collaborator/Champion

Post by AndrewMeronek »

That looks pretty ambitious. From a quick glance, it looks like this is really a piece for a theater, not just a trombonist and string ensemble. Complete with costumes and scenery. This is not a piece that some people can "just try out", from what I see.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
BenSajo

Re: "Great War Sextet" for Trombone and Strings: Composer looking for Collaborator/Champion

Post by BenSajo »

Thanks Andrew,

The theatrical elements are optional, as are the recited portions.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

It looks amazing. I`m trying to think of where this could be performed?
Back in Buffalo, NY, performing this piece would be a piece of cake
in Florida, I`m searching.
Looks like a lot of fun
Thanks
BenSajo

Re: "Great War Sextet" for Trombone and Strings

Post by BenSajo »

Dear group,

I would just like to share with you an update on the "Great War Sextet."

I am happy to say that this work will now have two premieres, November 9 and 10, 2019, in Ottawa. Please visit www.greatwarsextet.ca for further information and, if you're around, the means to purchase tickets.

Kind regards,

Benjamin Sajo

Return to “Composition, Arrangement, & Theory”