What we're doing

BflatBass

What we're doing

Post by BflatBass »

I've only been a member of this forum/group for couple of months (I never knew about TTF) but as I read I see a lot of familiar names and so I get a little sense of community here. Therefore I just thought I'd present an idea to see if anyone is interested.
Post a little something, maybe on a weekly or even daily basis, about what you're doing trombone-wise or musically. I know some of you are on YouTube regularly so that might seem a little redundant. But for the rest of us I think it would be interesting to find out where you all are in your "progression" as a trombonist, what you double on, what else you dabble in or concentrate on musically, etc.. If you're working on a particular piece of music, either solo or in a group/band/orchestra, maybe take a quick pic of your music and post it. Talk about troublesome areas in what your working on or how great you sounded last night. Whatever....
Maybe this would make for a new forum? Idk

How about I start. Last night I had my first rehearsal with a community band (my 3rd now) that's in it's 99th season in my town. It's a big traditional yearly event where musicians come from around the area to participate in a six week series. There's at least 100 of us and I counted 13 trombones in our section! I'm trying to play 3rd on my bass and I'm the only one with a double valve horn (probably because it's not necessary). Good thing because one chart had low C below the staff as an option. And yes, I pumped that baby out with pride :pant: As mentioned, this is my 3rd community band I'm playing in and so I'm either rehearsing or performing every weekday and twice on Mondays. Yesterday, I played 1st bone parts in the morning and 3rd parts on the bass in the evening. Since I've only been back on the horn for six months (after being away for 35 years), endurance is an issue and yesterday was no exception. I get so tired I can't even sustain a G at the top of the staff. Right now, playing my trombone is like going to the gym. I'm just trying to build endurance. Also the guy sitting next to me was playing an old King tenor he said was the same horn he played in the 5th grade. He looked to be in his 60's. The horn had a really small bell so I'm guessing it's a 2B?? I'm going to try and get the serial number off it and see if I can't find out what it is and when it was made. I'll get a pic of it and post it next rehearsal.

Someone tell me what they're doing, what they're playing and how they feel about it. It's ok if it's boring. You never know what you can start here.

Cheers,
Robert
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
Neo Bri

Re: What we're doing

Post by Neo Bri »

Playing a gig tonight at a local outdoor venue - gonna be hot. Picking up my teaching schedule, too.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

BflatBass wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:21 pm There's at least 100 of us and I counted 13 trombones in our section! I'm trying to play 3rd on my bass and I'm the only one with a double valve horn (probably because it's not necessary). Good thing because one chart had low C below the staff as an option.
I avoid the giant community bands. Partly because I don't care for crowds in general, and partly because rehearsals and performances are so crowded. Last year I switched from being the principal in one of the local community bands to coming up to speed in another on bass trombone. I don't try to split time among different bands. For me, life is too short, and I feel I want to focus on one thing and devote time to just one organization. Doing more would kill me in travel time and practice time as well.

Our trombone section consists of 4-5 people. Three on medium bore tenors with F-attachements, one who switches between a straight horn and an old 88H, and me on the double-valve bass. Sometimes one of the others doubles on third with me, but often I'm the only one with the reliable lower range.

For our play list the double valve isn't truly necessary, but it's pretty much a practical necessity. A number of things we play has the low C in them (and not just once in a while), and a low B-natural is encountered at times as well. Some pieces have required playing in the pedal range down to the pedal G. I don't regard these as optional, and the director specifically asked me to play bass to anchor that part. Moreover, a large bore tenor isn't really an adequate substitute for a real bass trombone in many of the things we play.

At this point, I quite satisfied with my progress, the director and band are satisfied, and I'd classify myself as an "adequate" bass trombonist re community band. I expect that in another 6 months or a year, I'll feel that I'm as good a trombone player as I have been a tuba player. One target now is high range since we play a lot of contemporary arrangements that score only 1st and 2nd trombone parts. I need a little extra work to handle the 2nd parts reliably, but it's coming along.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Got stuff coming up on bass, large tenor, and euph. Also trying to become anything close to proficient at contra.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Been back in Basel for about a week now after spending May in Canada for a couple of gigs and a week home with my partner and family in between. First project of the trip was a particularly meaningful one - an interdisciplinary project in collaboration with three indigenous people, with early and new music and spoken texts and soundscapes, and layering, all trying to assist them in telling their stories (there is a lot of racism in Canada aimed at the various indigenous people and native communities, and the horrific effects of the 19th and 20th century attempts at forced integration are still very much present in their communities and ignored/brushed off by government and general population alike). Quite emotionally demanding week. The week home was quite busy seeing friends and family and rehearsing for a recital I played with my best friend on harpsichord. Got three or four quiet days, then played trumpet and trombone in a very nice concert version of Orfeo (where we took the picture below - it's actually missing another cornett, trumpet and bass sackbut, but we ran out of space!).

Preparation for that solo recital had monopolized most of my practice time in April. I find it much easier to be motivated when there is a clear goal to aim for (concert, recording, etc). So now it's a bit hard to get back in the "beat". I can feel the mental and emotional fatigue. I allowed myself a few days off the horn and now starting again. Practicing a lot of ophicleide, which is a bit more motivating at the moment because it's fairly new so I can see the progress happening fast and anything I play is a challenge. At least it helps get me in the practice room where I then have no good reason not to also spend some time on trombones, and I keep ophicleide for last and end up practicing longer than planned every time. Helps fighting the temptation to just go hang out by the Rhine with beers and friends...Anyhow, fortunately or unfortunately, this month will be a lot more quiet than the last.

Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

Neo are you the one teaching? And if so are you giving private lessons?
Burgerbob what kinds of gigs are you expecting on a Contra? Strictly brass stuff or orchestral? Or solo?
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

BflatBass wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:33 pm Neo are you the one teaching? And if so are you giving private lessons?
Burgerbob what kinds of gigs are you expecting on a Contra? Strictly brass stuff or orchestral? Or solo?
Yes sir. I'm doing a reasonable amount of private lessons these days. I'm glad for it. I love helping people get their chops together so they can work on music.

I get the mechanics working first, then it's on to whatever the student wants to achieve (sound, power, orchestral playing, improvisation).

My youngest student is in 3rd grade and my oldest in their 60s (but haven't seen them for a while).
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

BflatBass wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:33 pm
Much of the studio stuff here in LA requires a lot of doubles... if you play bass, the contra is almost a must! It's not as if I am in the studios right now, but I need to learn it in order to even be considered.

I'd love to play it in an orchestra as well!
StefanHaller

Post by StefanHaller »

I like the idea, thanks Bflatbass for getting this going. Will post something about myself later when I have more time.

I also like the suggestion of creating a new forum dedicated to this. Having all of this in one huge thread doesn't seem ideal. People could have their own threads in a new forum, regularly posting what their doing, and every thread would then be something like a blog or diary. Would that make sense?
MoominDave

Post by MoominDave »

Due to health reasons I've cut back to a large extent on the amount of playing I do during the last year - thank goodness I don't depend on it for income. Actually, it's been quite a welcome adjustment schedulewise - I was playing in a number of things simply because I had enjoyed them in the past, rather than because I'm still enjoying them. Now the sensible way to run my life is to make sure that I'm not out playing more than one night in a row - for comparison, I've gone whole months before with group playing to do every day. One ten-week term at university, I fitted in 40 concerts on top of a maths degree. I've led a busy musical life, but now has to be different.

The only regular commitment I now maintain is to the brass band that I help run and also play bass trombone in, which rehearses Monday and Thursday nights 8-10 and performs once every few weeks on average. It's a good group with a good ethos; a competing band in the "championship section", but one that recognises the essential absurdity of musical competition while embracing it as what we enjoy doing. On top of that I slot in one-off gigs, orchestral, big band, brass ensemble, as they arise and if they look interesting.
Interesting gigs soon upcoming: Mahler 10 in July on 1st trombone; Gurre-lieder in August on contra.
Last edited by MoominDave on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Taylor
(not to be confused with other Dave Taylors...)
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Last week I played a rehearsal with the first community band I was with in this area. It's been about 15 years since I left them to go overseas, and when I returned 5 years later I didn't go back. The personnel have mostly changed, the director is new, but the book is the same, pieces not duplicated by any other area band. It's a small band now and I'm the trombone section, I enjoy that much more than the larger groups.

So I'm sightreading again, and trying to follow the road map for those German pieces. First ending, folge ending, DS, folge, DS, coda, first ending, folge...................... You can have one beer max, maybe, or you're lost for sure on this stuff. Keeps me alert. If it were not for the drive I'd stay with this group, but it's a long way, and when winter comes I reduce my evening driving.
ExZacLee

Post by ExZacLee »

Nothing.

Doing nothing... but I have a good reason - got married on Sunday and the new wife and I are honeymooning in New Orleans. We'll meet up with some friends and check out their gigs, but I'm not going to try and book myself while I'm here (mayhap I'll sit in somewhere if I'm invited.)

We get back in town (OK) next week and then it's back to the grindstone. A lot happening this summer. I have some dates scheduled with some of the groups I play in, and I'm particularly looking forward to a Salsa gig with my 'mano Raul. He's been tearing it up in the One O'Clock at UNT so I don't get to see him or play with him as often as I'd like. My preparation for things like this is basically listening (right now it's Barry Rogers on the Palmieri stuff) and getting my chops in shape for the blow - a lot of loud playing with a tuner and metronome so I can keep my control. I don't do as much "heavy lifting" as I did even two years ago, so I have to prepare for gigs like this now... and maybe use a microphone (or at least have one there just in case.)

My quintet has been getting a few dates here and there, and I've been writing a bunch for that group. After years (decades, yikes) of output that mostly sounded derivative of Wayne Shorter and a bunch of other composers I worship, I finally feel comfortable enough writing stuff that sounds like "me" and I have a great group of people to work with. Some of the music tackles difficult and dark themes and I need a singer to communicate those messages and there are plans to bring in a vocalist after I get the lyrics together. Lyrics are hard. In my teens I wanted to be a writer and I dabbled in poetry and short stories... now I can't put two stanzas together without cursing my worth as a human being. I like the challenge, though. We don't progress as people without something difficult to work on.

I'll be teaching at the UCO Jazz Camp at the end of the month, so I'm looking for things to transcribe and bring into the band I direct. I usually mix things up and try to expose them to a wide variety of jazz from different eras. I haven't brought in any Bix/Trumbauer stuff yet so I might do that, and there's some Grant Green I've been looking at. Of course there will be some JJ.

The rest of the summer will be even busier, but I'll save all of that for another post.
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

This time of year, my main playing transitions from a couple of college+community orchestras to the Legion Band, which is actually a pretty decent wind ensemble. The longtime director of Legion Band moved away a few years ago (and subsequently died). We do not have a permanent replacement. Our current conductor is in at least the third year of being our interim conductor. I guess she would rather play flute, but I really enjoy playing for her. The trombone section currently has three players. Three of course is a perfect number, except this being a summer band, backup would be nice. Hopefully my daughter will be home by the time we need a sub. I play first in this band. We would probably be a better section if third and I swapped, but I enjoy playing first. If asked to play first, I do, even though I know we should swap.

I also play in an activist street band. The number of trombones varies from gig to gig, but a student home from college has joined us, making the section excellent. When my daughter gets home, the section will be even stronger.

Technically my playing has reached a point where if I want to improve, I need lessons. Hopefully when autumn gets here I will have time and make the effort to take lessons.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

ExZacLee wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:03 am Nothing.

Doing nothing... but I have a good reason - got married on Sunday and the new wife and I are honeymooning in New Orleans. We'll meet up with some friends and check out their gigs, but I'm not going to try and book myself while I'm here (mayhap I'll sit in somewhere if I'm invited.)
Congratulations!

(Unsolicited advice: Make a real effort to spend time with your wife now. You only honeymoon once. Then, continue to take time with her. Marriage is once, but the relationship lasts a while—hopefully a lifetime! Just like music, relationships take practice and maintenance.)

Personally, I’m not doing much playing lately. I’m at a crossroads in life, wondering whether to switch gears/careers (again!). Wanting to play more and get more involved, yet having difficulty motivating myself to practice and put myself out there. I have a regular summer gig in August, but June and July are wide open.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Today I played in Solna Brass Band at a cermonie on the Swedish national day. We played a short program and then the national anthem with a choir and all people who pertisipated. This was my last gig before summer. I haven't even a rehearsal planned. If nothing new comes up next gig will be in the beginning of August where I will play at a private party.

Vaccation starts soon (from job as programmer) so I signed up for a summers camp like I did last year to play symphony orchestra with "The Bergslagens Kammarsymfoniker". It is a course-week were we play in a Symphony Orchestra and also in different chamber settings from early morning to evening. We will only rest to eat and concludes the evenings with a couple of lagers in the small hours. To me this is vaccation and also an opportunity to meet new friends.

To sum up; this first half of the year has been the bussiest ever musically. Our band "The Johan Stengård Big Band" has been busy and will continue to be with a series of concerts at "The Olympia Theatre" in Stockholm from September. We will also have a couple of tours to the south of Sweden in September-October. The band has even some bookings for next year.

Then I will be on tour with "The Torgny Hansson Wind Orchestra" to Tranås in Oktober. First time I played with them was 2017. This will be my third tour with the Wind Orchestra. We spend a weekend to rehearse and then do a concert. People come from all over the country to this orchestra so it is a great joy and I'm very greatful to have been invited to play with them for the third time in a row.

It is great to have all this musical activities mixed with my every day job. It removes a lot of stress and adds variation.

/Tom
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

Played 3rd bone in my first concert with the "big" community band last night. I didn't play nearly as well as I would've liked but there's a lot of trombones in our section so I don't think anyone noticed as much as me. Really fun being a part of this tradition in my town and I'm getting to meet lots of local musicians.
Since the parts I was playing weren't designated bass parts and I'm using my King DG, I was having a little trouble with endurance with my big Shilke 59 mouthpiece during rehearsals. Last night I switched to my old Bach 2G and it helped a little.
Back to the tenor in the "tiny" community band this morning. There's only 12 of us and I'm the only bone. No commitments tomorrow so if I practice it'll only be for 30 minutes tops. My chops are worn out.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

This caught my eye:

“Just like music, relationships take practice and maintenance.”

Indeed.

Trombone finished in early May. A couple of guitar things this month, and then dark until Sept.

It might be jet lag, lousy weather, or sub-clinical depression, but I’m not feelin’ it these days.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Bach5G wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:53 pm This caught my eye:

“Just like music, relationships take practice and maintenance.”

Indeed.

Trombone finished in early May. A couple of guitar things this month, and then dark until Sept.

It might be jet lag, lousy weather, or sub-clinical depression, but I’m not feelin’ it these days.
I get that way, too. Sometimes I'm tired of gigging. I rarely get tired of teaching, though.
torobone

Post by torobone »

We are getting into the busy summer and outdoor season here in Toronto.

I'm subbing at the main veterans hospital this Sunday with a new big band. I don't even know how many trombones or what part I'm playing, but it'll be fine. The community band where I play lead will be in the same venue on Thursday evening. I'll being playing Eddie Graf's arrangement of Laura.

Over the next 2 months, I have about 12-14 gigs scheduled between a big band and the community band. That includes the Beaches Jazz Festival. There are several outdoor venues where weekly concerts are held, and we take our turn with each one.
Martin Hubel
Tenors: Yamaha 891Z, 354, 697Z (on loan)
Symphony tenors: 1972 Bach 42B, Yamaha 882 GOR (on loan)
Basses: 2011 Yamaha 830 Xeno, 1942 NY Bach 50B
Alto: 1980 Bach 39
Lidl Bass Trumpet (on loan)
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Just finished a two hour show in a three piece horn section, part of a 10 piece soul band. We do standard cover songs but add our own bits to them sometimes. Seems to work, we have been going for a year and every show we do, about one a month average, leads to us being asked back.
What I’m ACTUALLY doing NOW is drinking a nice craft ale at home at 2:25 am to cool off.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Early morning train ride to a small Swiss town to play in a catholic service. On sackbuts. With an otherwise modern orchestra.

Just realized today that Mgr. Thomas Gullickson, the Vatican's nuncio (ambassador) to Switzerland and Liechtenstein is in attendance, along with a detachment of the Swiss Guard!

Maximilien Brisson
henrikbe

Post by henrikbe »

Great idea for a thread!

I'm a fairly low level amateur player, returned to playing about a year and a half ago, but has not (so far) joined any group (except for sitting in occasionally at the local children's band to assist a couple of new trombone players).

But I have some "gigs", if you could call it that, occasionally, mostly in my local church. Nothing upcoming at the moment, though, but my parents are celebrating their 70 years birthdays this weekend, so I'll join the rest of my family on "Waltz nr 2" from Suite for Variety Orchestra by Shostakovich.

Apart from that, I'm just playing for fun, trying to improve whenever I find time to practice. Try to get in at least a few minutes every day. Currently, I make some feeble attempts at the second movement of Marcellos first cello concerto (to try to get double tounguing working). Also, I have been trying to improve my upper register, and now I can usually almost hit a high C ( :trebleclef: :space3: ), which is a huge improvement for me, as up until a couple of weeks ago I usually had problems hitting the A below ( :trebleclef: :space2: ). Not useful for music yet, though, but I suppose I'll be able to solidify with more time on it.
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

henrikbe wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:06 am Nothing upcoming at the moment, though, but my parents are celebrating their 70 years birthdays this weekend, so I'll join the rest of my family on "Waltz nr 2" from Suite for Variety Orchestra by Shostakovich.
Hey, this is cool! What instruments does your family band have?
henrikbe

Post by henrikbe »

StevenC wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:48 am
henrikbe wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:06 am Nothing upcoming at the moment, though, but my parents are celebrating their 70 years birthdays this weekend, so I'll join the rest of my family on "Waltz nr 2" from Suite for Variety Orchestra by Shostakovich.
Hey, this is cool! What instruments does your family band have?
With brother, sisters, wife, in-laws and children, we are 4 violins (one of which possibly viola), 1 cello, 1 double bass, 1 piano, 1 flute, 1 saxophone, 2 trumpets and 1 trombone (me). The other ones (except the children) are professional musicians, I chose a different career path but it's lots of fun to play with them and I'm sure it'll be great fun (both for us and our parents) on Saturday!
sirisobhakya

Post by sirisobhakya »

I just finished my last concert with a community band here (Higashihiroshima Wind Ensemble) on Sunday. It was a part of the larger annual music festival in my city. There were many bands and group performing everywhere for a period of 2 weeks, mostly on weekend. The finale concert on Sunday had bands from the city's junior high school, high school, university, one elementary school amateur band, and 3 or 4 amateur/semi-pro bands. The program was mostly japanese composition, with a few film music. Then at the end, all wind bands performed together. The joint session force numbered over 150. The trombone section alone was probably 15 or 20. It was quite a sight and sound to behold.

It probably was the last major concert in my life: I have got a job (not music-related) in my home country and will go back at the end of this month, and in my home country (Thailand), community band or even amateur band is non-existent even in large cities. Most don't even care about wind band except in schools. I may still have practice and instructing opportunity (don't want to call it teaching; my skill is not at that level) at my former school. But it is my dream to make Thailand a band country, at least half of that of Japan or at least only in Bangkok would be a satisfying achievement for me.

But first I must find a way to haul my horn back safely...
Chaichan Wiriyaswat
Bangkok, Thailand
“Why did I buy so many horns when I only have one mouth…?”
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

henrikbe wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:10 pm With brother, sisters, wife, in-laws and children, we are 4 violins (one of which possibly viola), 1 cello, 1 double bass, 1 piano, 1 flute, 1 saxophone, 2 trumpets and 1 trombone (me). The other ones (except the children) are professional musicians, I chose a different career path but it's lots of fun to play with them and I'm sure it'll be great fun (both for us and our parents) on Saturday!
That's some lineup. What are you using for an arrangement? When we did something similar for my parents, it was three trombones and three reed instruments. In the younger generation, the two trombone players are at conservatories, while the two reed players studied engineering. I don't know what it is about trombone players.
henrikbe

Post by henrikbe »

StevenC wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:24 am That's some lineup. What are you using for an arrangement? When we did something similar for my parents, it was three trombones and three reed instruments. In the younger generation, the two trombone players are at conservatories, while the two reed players studied engineering. I don't know what it is about trombone players.
Did some googling, and found this arrangement: https://musescore.com/lcc/secondwaltz. Don't know if it's the original or what it is, but it sounded ok, so I started on that, and did some adjustments to fit the group. Basically, what I did was move most reed stuff into a single sax part, move horns into trumpets and trombone (and reduce to one voice for each...), and remove bassoon, tuba, harp, percussion etc. I'm pretty happy with the result, esp. considering that the arrangement was done by the only non-professional in the group (me) :D
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

Really glad this thread got started. Fascinating diversity in this group here.

Played my second concert with the "big" community band last Thursday night. Our main conductor (we have two) told us that this time we were probably playing the most difficult set that's ever been presented with this band. The marches are the hardest for me because the tempo moves along so quickly. We played Hall of Fame, Bravura and The Thunderer for marches. I also learned that this band is the oldest active community band in the state of California. We had 131 musicians this time around including two string basses.
During rehearsal last week I noticed one baritone player had baritone that was very small. It looked like a tenor horn but when I asked him he said, "no, it's just a small baritone". How do you tell? Anyway, I've never seen a baritone that small. I guess it's like the difference between a tenor trombone and a bass trombone.
I also had some slide work done on my King 3B by a local repair shop. Just replacing the cork or felt at the top of the inner slide to stop the banging noise when coming up to 1st position. And a sonic cleaning as well. The tech told me that the slide and bell section are from different horns because the serial numbers don't match. He also pointed out where the horn was previously damaged and repaired. I got the horn sight unseen from the Brass Exchange about 4 years ago and payed WAY too much for it. What a mistake. NEVER buy a horn unless you can play it first. Even if it's new and you've played the same model before.

Cheers,
Robert
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

A couple weeks late, but here we go:

Great year at CWU. Played a 'music department showcase' concert which featured our Jazz 1, Wind Ensemble and Orchestra. I played bass trombone in Jazz 1 and we played a killer lobby set, and the Wind Ensemble performed Symphonic Dances from West Side Story, which was really energetic and tight. The orchestra performed the Brahms Ein Deustches Requiem.

The following week, I played a concert with the orchestra where I got to perform the Kazimierz Serocki Trombone Concerto 1st movement (I won the Concerto Competition that the university holds in 2017), and performed a great concert with Jazz Band 1 again, which was one of the tightest and most energetic sets the band has played in a while (in my opinion).

Here's a recording from the concert of In a Sentimental Mood arranged by Mike Crotty. I'm not sure if I should be posting this recording but I am really happy with how it turned out. There are some live blips and oopsies, and I'm not sure if it's mixed completely yet, but overall it was a great concert.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/15abrmahs31ul ... 3.mp3?dl=0
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
shider

Post by shider »

Love reading this post!

So here is what I was doing the past few weeks:

My local Wind Band (Musikverein) hosted this years "Kreismusikfest", which is an annual gathering, at which most of the local Bands from the "Landkreis" (a governmental subdivision, including the smaller towns in an area with roughly Ø60km) come together to play a parade and afterwards get a beer in the "Festzelt" (a large tent capable of holding up to 2500 people at once).
Us beeing the host this year it was mainly a lot of very unmusical work, setting up everything a week beforehand and cleaning up afterwards, but it was a great form of bonding for our Band. Including the 93 members of the band, we had in total around 500 people from the whole region helping us over the weekend!

My musical highlights of the weekend were the "Massenchor", which is a mass"choir" of all the attending bands, roughly 3000 amateur musicians playing 4 pieces together. I'm getting chills just thinking about it!
And the other highlight was to conduct one of our youth orchestras in the tent in front of so many people!

Next week i will sub in a local Big Band and in summer i will hopefully be able to finally join a local (british style) Brass Band on Bass trombone!

Greetings from Germany (if it wasn't obvious already),
shider
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

Back at it.
We're in our 4th week with the "big" community band and we're gearing up for all the patriotic music appropriate for Independence day. Since our concerts are on Thursdays and "the 4th" is on a Wednesday we're playing all the appropriate stuff a week in advance. Again the marches are the hardest. That cut time really keeps my on my toes.

Tonight I had my last rehearsal before our next concert with another band I play tuba parts in on my Duo Gravis. Here my biggest challenge is having enough air. I really need to do more breathing exercises when I practice. Since the band is really small (18 of us) my part is at times a solo part. Even though they are often "oom puh" parts I need to be at my best because all eyes are on me. Really fun though. I love the low stuff.

I've been playing around with writing trombone duets (with rhythm section) for some of my favorite jazz tunes. I've done one for Gerry Mulligan's Festive Minor and now I'm thinking of either Line for Lyons or Birdland. I might use Maynard Ferguson's version of Birdland as a backdrop for how I arrange that duet. I've been using MuseScore for my final drafts. Anyone else use MuseScore?
afugate

Post by afugate »

BflatBass wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:09 pm I've been using MuseScore for my final drafts. Anyone else use MuseScore?
Yep. I do all my work in it. :)

I'm running for office our state legislature here in Oklahoma, so my composing (and playing/practicing) has taken a back seat to that. I've had the itch to write a couple of times, but I've squelched it. Once I start, I get sucked into it and can't think about anything else... ;)

-- Andy in OKC
blast

Post by blast »

Last week of our run of Eugene Onegin . This week Belfast. Heatwave. Doing as little as possible... eating, warming up, show, beer.
There, Isn't that exciting ?
Next week booked for a gig with no trombone parts...
Do I sign the contract or tell them they got it wrong ?
The life of the pro trombonist.....

Chris
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Chris I think you should ask for more money since it is more expencive to not be on the stage?
peteedwards

Post by peteedwards »

just think, your pay "per note" would be infinity!
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

An orchestra player's pay per note is already more than just about anybody else.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

No performance!

I fxed my lawnmower. I had to switch some broken parts. Then I picked stones and took care of gardening. I'm real proud of myself I did not call my son to help me out with the lawnmover.

My son is the one who understands mechanical things. He knows cars and engines and stuff. A great help. I'm more of a theoretical person. This means I sit on a chair most of the year. As a consequence my back now hurts and muscles I didn't know I had also hurt.

I have the tactics to take care of the gardening in small steps. Now I will rest and eat something and then I will take care of practice. To be able to fix a better legato is the goal for this summer.

/Tom
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

Morning - put new sway bar links on my bro-in-law's Honda CR-V. One was broken and the part that was flopping had been zip tied up to the sway bar. He didn't know what they were or why to spend the $18 to get replacements! Got it done by 11, before it got too hot. Bad part - was two-handing the handle on the bench vise when trying to get a semi-stripped nut out of the socket and got my finger caught between the handle and the vise. Now have a purple nail :frown: Good thing it is not on a finger I need for playing, just for waving at bad drivers :good:

Now, I am working on the final set list for big band gig at the end of July. We play 20 tunes and have three rehearsals to polish them up. Three charts are regulars each gig, the other 17 must be new. Three vocalists doing two each, got those pretty much nailed down. As for the rest, we have newer high level players complaining about playing "old, bad arrangements" and long term members who are complaining about too many "new, hard charts". Audience feedback last time was not enough old Miller/Dorsey tunes, too many old Miller/Dorsey tunes, not enough time between charts, too much dead air between charts, announcements were too long, announcements were too short. Fun times, fun times...
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Finished up an audition, taught 4 days of drum corps, now heading to the beach for a week with the family. Time to test the screwbell case!
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Sitting at my computer the last couple days preparing the handouts for a class I'm teaching next week about improvising Renaissance polyphony. Ophicleide is in the shop to be adjusted. Need to practice more sackbut!
Maximilien Brisson
ExZacLee

Post by ExZacLee »

We just finished up the UCO jazz camp on Friday - kids (and adults) were great, but I am worn out. Lots of early mornings and late nights, and a salsa gig in this Oklahoma heat (with a gorgeous sunset right in the eyes) that I had a hard time recovering from. It's worth it watching them play, I was dead on my feet but beaming seeing them having a good time on stage.

Saturday was mowing day (only got in the 90's) and I harvested some chard. Today is sunday and it's back to work. Well, kinda - I'm going to be lazy for some of it at least.

I'm looking forward to tonight's rehearsal with Chanda, a great local singer with a powerful blues inflected voice. We are lucky to have some people who work hard to provide venues for this scene. Christian Pearson, a local entrepreneur and musician, has worked hard to develop some recurring gigs at a few of the hipper places in OKC and this gig is part of one of those. Saint's in the plaza district does live jazz on thursdays - and it's the real deal. If you're ever in town you should come by...

Writing-wise, I'm working on original stuff for my group and my big band and I'm doing another big band chart for one of my favorite players, who I'll call "Ches McBobney." I recently did "Alone Together" for him, but I woke up this morning with an idea for this tune (at a much slower tempo than I originally did) that might be cool (it cribs from the old Miles recording - or at least the one in my dream did) so I'll be working on that while the rains roll in.

Pro Tools - I'm going to be in the studio a lot this week and next, but on the opposite side from where I'm normally, as I'm trying to get certified as an instructor. Class is in mid july. My main focus this weak is figuring out how to run cue mixes using the Audient board and finding my way around this 8 channel headphone amp we have just sitting here. It looks neat, has all sorts of lights and whirligigs, kind of like the control panels in Apollo 13. I want to unlock the secrets of the perfect headphone mix - I've experienced it a handful of times and it makes recording soooooo much easier.

I'm subbing a bunch this week for friends who are going out of town. I talk a lot in lessons and ensembles I direct at school about how we're all here to build a community and build each other up, and how part of professionalism is being a nice person. This week is just one of many where I've had my mortgage bacon saved by colleagues calling me to sub for them. I'm so thankful for the wonderful scene here and the beautiful people who make it such. If the people weren't so awesome, I'd have given up this life a long time ago.
blast

Post by blast »

Doug Elliott wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:31 pm An orchestra player's pay per note is already more than just about anybody else.
Ah..... the grass is always greener......

I wish it were that simple.

Chris
peteedwards

Post by peteedwards »

Last night i played a big band gig for Inependence Day with fireworks show in St Michaels Md: 95 degrees at downbeat (7pm) pitch center was interesting to say the least!
Still over 85 degrees at 10:30pm tear down- I could not wait to get in the car to get some relief!
Construction on the Chesapeake Bay bridge meant I didn't get home till 2am, covered in a salty layer of dried sweat.
Still a fun gig with a great band & great bunch of folks!
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

World Cup. Very intriguing tournament so far. Italy didn’t qualify. Germany finished last in its group. Argentina, Portugal and Spain knocked out in the 16. The only big teams left are Brazil and France and I’m told that both are on the same side of the bracket. So at least one dark horse in the final.

Music-wise: a couple of guitar gigs with a big band. Its future is unclear although there’s been some interest in keeping it going. I’m having trouble finding my trombone chops after taking May off.
Last edited by Bach5G on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

Watching the World Cup

Trombone-wise after a few weeks off, starting with some preparation for Beethoven 9 later in the year. I’m on the alto part, lots of high note practice it is then. Strangely, my dog quite likes to come and listen, not sure about the neighbours though.
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

MrHCinDE wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:22 pm Strangely, my dog quite likes to come and listen, not sure about the neighbours though.
My cat hates trombone, and hates alto trombone most of all. He even runs away from video recordings of alto trombone.
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

StevenC wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:39 pm
MrHCinDE wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:22 pm Strangely, my dog quite likes to come and listen, not sure about the neighbours though.
My cat hates trombone, and hates alto trombone most of all. He even runs away from video recordings of alto trombone.
My wife says any trombone sounds like a truck horn.

I practice in my garage. This is what it's like. It's 13 degrees cooler inside the house.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

A few weeks into the Summer Band season, we seem to have stabilized at five trombones. I'm having my daughter play first, because it is good for her and good for the band. When we have our first concert, because of a conflict we'll be down to a three trombones. Perfect, except I'll have to play third. My enthusiasm for third comes and goes.
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

BflatBass wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:44 pm My wife says any trombone sounds like a truck horn.

I practice in my garage. This is what it's like. It's 13 degrees cooler inside the house.
Your wife should be more supportive. Tell her I said so. I am lucky in this respect. Not only does my wife tolerate all the trombone playing that goes on in and around this house, she really seems to enjoy it. She seems to judge concerts based on how much low brass is featured. It seems strange to me, but it also works for me.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

StevenC wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:19 pm Perfect, except I'll have to play third. My enthusiasm for third comes and goes.
I like third with a community band, no endurance issues, but I never get to do that. Yesterday I knew the third would be missing and I planned to move down instead of doubling the first. Alas, the other first couldn't make it and I ended up in my usual spot. It was an hour and a half of too loud. I've reviewed snippets of the recording and you can't hear me much. Maybe I'll post a bit for your comments.

I played third in bone choir, and those parts are mostly midrange but have the occasional high C, something I've only seen once in my life in a community band.

Return to “Performance”