Transport mutes/stands etc.

herrerabone

Transport mutes/stands etc.

Post by herrerabone »

For a gig, how would you transport a music stand, trombone stand, mutes, and (of course) your instrument? I've recently found a gig where I need all four and have no idea how to efficiently carry it all.
BGuttman

Re: Transport mutes/stands etc.

Post by BGuttman »

I can think of several ways to go. Pick the one(s) you like best.

1. Altieri trombone bag. The bag has a HUGE pocket that I can fit a straight mute, a trombone stand (usually a Hamilton), and a wire stand as well as mouthpieces, oils, etc. Some don't like the way the bag carries and I have found that if you try to put too much stuff in it you can pull the shoulder strap from its mount.

2. If you need to use a stand like a Hamilton KB-90 or Manahasset Voyager (portable version of the standard orchestral stand) you can put a trombone stand in the mute bag as well as an "adjustable" cup disassembled (and a straight). Biggest stand I've managed to put in a Manhasset Voyager bag is a Jupiter (larger version of a Hamilton). Now you have two things to carry but it's not too bad.

3. You can fit a bunch of your accessories in a gym bag or duffel bag. Needs to be deep enough for the stand (if you are using a Hamilton) and long enough for your trombone stand.

4. Walt Barrett (haven't seen him here yet) had something he called his "Mute Bag O' Doom", which was a Gatemouth tool bag (24" if I remember correctly) which had a set of belts to hold a longer trombone stand. You have to use a wire folding stand although you might be able to put a Peterson Stand in there.

5. I had an artist bag that fit my Manhasset Voyager stand and had a ton of pockets for other stuff. The trombone stand and music stand pole fit inside the bag. Problem was the one I bought wasn't very sturdy and fell apart. My fault for buying on price.

There are lots of other things to try. Use your imagination and find what suits you best.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

one big duffle bag for everything in one hand (or over shoulder9, except the trombone case in the other, works for me ...
RichC

Post by RichC »

Do it all the time with no problems. Horn in a case with a shoulder strap, Music stand (Peak) folds up in its own carry case which is large enough to fit my bone stand. And 'mute' bag with mutes, glasses, and assorted useless junk.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Mutes and stand
If bass trombone gig then the stand is a must. I need a big trunk to take all the mutes and the stand. Was no problem for me to find that size of a trunk. If I need to change clothes for the gig I need a costume-bag, or I dress at home.

If a tenor- job then I might skip the stand and the mutes fits in my small back-pack.

Transportation
Yes it is a lot to carry around and especially for a person who go by bus and train to every gig and if I also need to bring my own stand then it gets heavy and is hard to carry. Trombone, costume bag, stand and trunk with mutes and stands is four things to I carry. Don't ask me how I manage, but I'm doing it every time if I have to.

I also avoid to use my car because it is too expensive. I've already bought an expensive card that allows me to go anywhere I want within Stockholm. The card is valid for 30 days so I have to refill every 30th day. I use that card to get me to my daytime job, so to pay gas, parking and additional fees could eat up the profit. Here in Sweden petrol is very expensive, almost $1.80 a litre (1 gallon is 3,78 litre so $6.80 for a gallon). Most of it is taxes. I guess you can imagine what that does to your wallet, or you go by bus and train like the politicians want you to. You don't do both if you can avoid it.

/Tom
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Music and horn in case.

mutes, stand light, stand clips, water bottle, etc. In mute bag

Carry stand and stand.

It only gets interesting when you have to carry another horn as well.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

The gatemouth bag is perfect for all the stuff as long as it is of sufficient size. I made one, but I'm crazy that way. The typical tool bag that comes along with Home Depot tool assortments would be nearly as good.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I use a gym bag and make sure I buy transportable stuff. I have a Peak folding plastic music stand and a K&M folding music stand. I have 2 in-bell tbone stands, although I have never carried them in the bell. I usually carry my Aida tbone stand because it is relatively light and relatively sturdy.

I have an Altieri case for my bass, but I don't think it is sturdy enough to protect the horn and carry heavy gear.

You could also consider a double trombone case.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I do big band most of the time so need a complete selection of mutes. I use a duffle bag with the trombone stand mutes, stand light, etc. in the main compartment and small accessories in the side pockets. If I am using a wire folding stand it fits inside, and if I take my folding base fixed table stand slide it under the handles on the outside. One tip I will be trying next time I need to take a long walk with my bass - strap it to a folding wheeled golf bag carrier.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I use a cheap, large rolling duffle bag. I can carry my trombone stand, a Hercules portable music stand, music, stand lights when needed, and all my mutes. I use some dense foam blocks as dividers to keep everything in place and avoid damaging the mutes.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
boomski

Post by boomski »

I use a combination of tote bags. I have one that fits my music, trombone stand, K&M folding music stand, water bottle, accessories, and a straight mute if I need it (it is hard to carry if I add the mute though). The trombone stand and music stand both stick out the top, but it's not a big deal. If I need more mutes, I have another tote bag that fits 4 mutes (I wrap a towel around them to keep them from banging into each other). I almost always have my trombone case on as a backpack, which leaves both of my hands free for carrying things.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Lowes has a pretty nice tool bag that velcros on to a luggage cart (and comes with the collapseable cart). It is like 12" x 20" X 16 $~80 It's also black so it could go to a stage or pit if absolutely req'd.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AWP-HP-Ballist ... g/50149598

Buy a nice folding stand, I recommend the Desca, but I like that it folds square and is only as long as the desk is wide. I also have a Peak stand, but it is still 26" when collapsed. Fits into a 24" big mouth tool bag, but I prefer the Desca (buy a couple of their Fholders when you order the stand, thank me later).

Music Stand, big K&M trombone stand, Music, and enough mutes for two musicals and an OK folding chair will fit in the Lowes bag.

Carry the horn however you want and roll the bag behind you.

Cheers,
Andy
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

Gig bag for horn, large Champion brand gym bag holds all my bass mutes and bone stand slips under handles. Hamilton music stand in hand carrying mute bag, music in a Tuxedo briefcase style bag.
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
KRRath

Post by KRRath »

I'm a big fan of the Musicmaide products. I have two of their Gig Bags and one Stand Bag. In the Gig Bag, I have a solid desk (folding base) music stand, my mutes, music binder(s), stand light, wind clips, plus a few other items in the bag. I could also put my trombone stand in the bag, but it's strapped to my Marcus Bonna case.
Kevin R.
LeoInFL

Post by LeoInFL »

I have a Gard bass trombone wheelie bag that holds everything. Horn goes in the large main compartment, along with my music binder (wedged between the side of the compartment and the slide sleeve). In the left side compartment I keep my horn stand with plenty of room for a folding music stand. In the other side compartment I keep my stand light, tool/accessory kit(lubes, wrenches, oils) and a zipper bag (spray bottle, pencils, folding mute holder). In the large front compartment I keep a straight mute, cup mute and my Eb tuning slide when it's needed.
LeoInFL
Getzen 4047DS :
~Bousfield S
~Conn 5G | Edwards .525"
Olds P-24G : G&W Mark-1 | Wessex .555"
Melton 41 F Cimbasso : DE CB S118_L*_L16Am
Holton 77 Fr Horn : Laskey 825G

CFCA Symphony Orch
(2016-present)
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Another vote for Gard Wheelie bag. I have the tenor version. If I’m using a solid desk type stand the stand bag can be attached to the Wheelie bag handle and held in place by the straps for back carrying.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is not a rehearsal
BurckhardtS

Post by BurckhardtS »

I transport my music, mutes, trombone stand and other accessories in a laptop bag that I basically repurposed into a mute bag, similar to one of the pro-tec ones.
Shires - 7YM, TX, Axial, TW47 - Greg Black NY 1
YSL354 - XT LN106, C+, D3
FeelMyRath

Post by FeelMyRath »

Mutes, music, water in my protec mute bag, trombone stand and music stand base in the side pocket of my protec case on shoulder strap, music stand desk tucked under arm, euphonium case in the other hand. I'm usually exhasuted by the time I get inside!
Making the world better, one note at a time

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Corey

Post by Corey »

I use a catalog case. They look a little classier than a canvas bag. Here's an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Herita ... SwtQpaoLBu

They come with wheels too. They'll protect your mutes a lot better than a soft bag as well. They're not quite big enough for a stand, but you can certainly strap it to the case if you don't have a pocket on your trombone case.
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

I also have a elbow stand because of a left arm issue.

I use a trombone gig bag. I have the old one that has a zipper pocket fro the slide on the side and both zippers go the length of the bag. The arm rest, folding music stand. mutes and several extra water bottles all fit. I take out the slide padding and the trombone stand fits in that pocket. I though that bag over my shoulder and carry the case in my hand.

A little less stuff and I use the Pbone case.

As a joke I started a thread about buying a off shore horn for $57 for the case or gig bag. No one seemed to get the joke I guess. But it seems a trombone bag or case is just he right size to carry trombone stuff.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
BflatBass

Post by BflatBass »

From what ppl are saying, it seems like your going to probably be using two, maybe three items when transporting your stuff. Carrying your instrument, mutes/accessories, horn stand, music stand and maybe clothes etc. in one case/bag would be really cumbersome and heavy. I've seen trombone players carry quite a bit of stuff with two items. Mainly there horn case/bag and another item for everything else. Having that second item on wheels REALLY helps. Also a shoulder strap or backpack straps for the horn case helps a lot too though not critical. You'll just have your hands free if you do.

It's all about managing the size of the second item because most of us already have a horn case or bag so it's all about finding/purchasing a case/bag/trunk for everything else.

I'm using a Pro Tec Pro Pac bass bone case that will carry small stuff (mouthpieces, spray bottle, extra eye glasses) on the inside and my old Hamilton bone stand on the outside. I use this music stand
https://www.amazon.com/Hola-HM-MS-Profe ... usic+stand
I can carry mutes and music in the bag that came with it but the bag is cheap and won't last so I'm looking for a trunk on wheels with an extendable handle much like a luggage trunk. Not only that, a trunk of this type is more common than say something that is meant specifically for music stuff and so it can be found used more often, thus saving some cash.

So just sling your horn over your shoulder and pull the rest behind you in the trunk and you're pretty mobile :good:
I dream of the day that the world will be healthy enough that I can play in a live ensemble again.

Return to “Performance”