Speak Low Recordings

herrerabone

Speak Low Recordings

Post by herrerabone »

My band is playing Speak Low written by Kurt Weill and arranged by Bob Curnow. Are there any recordings that I should listen to? I've found a great recording of the Stan Kenton band playing it, but was wondering if there are any others that I should use to influence my interpretation. (PS - Curnow's arrangement is almost all Latin feel, so I'm especially trying to find recordings with a Latin groove as opposed to swing)

In case anyone is interested, here's the Kenton recording:
BGuttman

Re: Speak Low Recordings

Post by BGuttman »

Is this a trombone feature? Or is there an extended trombone solo?

If not, I would suggest looking at other pieces done as latin. Listen to Tito Puente to get the REAL Latin feel. There are good Latin arrangements (I can't think of one now) of lots of songs. Do a little searching. Figuring out Swing Low as Latin without understanding what Latin is won't really make you sound any better.

I'm sorry TTF member Sam Burtis (Sabutin) hasn't made an appearance here. If anybody can teach you what Latin is, he can.

One other thing. Learn how the tune goes. It's a tune from the Broadway show "One Touch of Venus" (based on the Pygmalion story but before "My Fair Lady"). It was originally a very sweet ballad.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
herrerabone

Post by herrerabone »

It's a solo trombone feature (melody plus some bars). Thanks for the input!
Schultz

Post by Schultz »

http://www.sierramusicmp3.com/mp3/newmp ... Curnow.mp3

This is the recording of the Bob Curnow Band
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Interesting. It doen't sound very Latin. But a nice rendition.

Note that in the beginning he's baically doing slight variations on the melody and goes off into "outer space" for the last chorus.

It would probably sound more Latin if the rhythm adopted a more Latin feel with the exact same solo over it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
afugate

Post by afugate »

BGuttman wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 8:43 pm Interesting. It doen't sound very Latin. But a nice rendition.

Note that in the beginning he's baically doing slight variations on the melody and goes off into "outer space" for the last chorus.

It would probably sound more Latin if the rhythm adopted a more Latin feel with the exact same solo over it.
Sounds like a light bossa to me... ;-)

Not aggressive like the Kenton version, but good writing.

--Andy in OKC
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

You gotta love the long hair and wide collars. Reminds me of my college jazz band in the late 70's /early 80's. I had a blue tux shirt with ruffles on the front.
afugate

Post by afugate »

Mikebmiller wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:25 am You gotta love the long hair and wide collars. Reminds me of my college jazz band in the late 70's /early 80's. I had a blue tux shirt with ruffles on the front.
The pictures don't really go with the recording. (There are no flutes in the recording. And that's definitely bass trombone - not tuba... :roll:)

Looks like someone overlaid some clips from the 70's Kenton Band on top of the recording from the 1958 Back to Balboa album.

Still worth a listen! :good:

--Andy in OKC

Return to “Performance”