Left Shoulder problem

mickael57280

Left Shoulder problem

Post by mickael57280 »

Hi, don't know if it's the right section of the forum or not to post that... sorry.

Sooo... I have a big problem with my left shoulder.

After an half hour warming up very slow, for exemple if I take a slurs exercice like Bb F Bb in 1st position, I rest a few seconds every two positions, so I take my time and take frequents little rests.

But after 30 minutes my left shoulder feel so heavy and weak that I can't hold my trombone anymore.

It's not like a pain, it's more like heaviness and fatigue, so not necessary to tell that if I try to play a 2 minutes etude without a bar to rest, I can't get to the end.

It worry my a lot.

What do you think?
Eyedoc

Re: Left Shoulder problem

Post by Eyedoc »

See a physical therapist! A Common problem especially for men is shoulder impingement syndrome.
I also had similar symptoms. I am an optometrist and I would hold my arms up, especially the left, throughout the day. Some motions would give sharp pain, but overwhelming was the fatigue. I was concerned I may have myasthenia gravis.
Physical therapist showed me how the back and shoulder muscles were out of balance and causing damage to the rotator cuff muscles. Try standing in front of a mirror, close your eyes and raise your arms laterally as far as they go naturally withyout any extra shoulder shrug or undue effort. Open your eyes and see if they raise equally.
Some exercises and deep tissue massage in the right points are very heplful. You can purchase plastic S hook (see "The Body Back Company"). I also changed equipment at work so I don't need to hold my arms up for extended periods of time. After a year in my possession, I started using the Ergobone with my Duo Gravis. Symptoms are much improved as long as I continue some exercises and massage out the trigger points.
ghmerrill

Post by ghmerrill »

I don't know how long you've been playing trombone, or how long you've been playing the same instrument, but what you describe can be caused simply by a horn that's unbalanced in the forward direction.

If the horn doesn't have neutral balance (or close to it), then your arm/shoulder muscles are constantly correcting to hold the front up. Many years ago I struggled with this when I had my (10.5" bell) Holton bass. And until I got my left hand ergonomics right with my current bass, I was having a similar problem. Now (with a bullet brace and a finger hook mod), the horn has neutral balance in my left hand, and I have no left shoulder fatigue or soreness. Interestingly, my 7B clone is probably balanced similarly to the Duo Gravis.

I notice the same problem on the (relatively rare) occasions when I play my old Olds Standard (straight) horn. It's slide-heavy, and that puts some strain on the left shoulder and arm.

So it's possible that this is just a matter of balance and horn ergonomics.
Gary Merrill
Wessex EEb tuba
Mack Brass Compensating Euph
Amati Oval Euph
1924 Buescher 3-valve Eb tuba
Schiller American Heritage 7B clone bass trombone
DE LB K/K10/112 Lexan, M&K GR Nickel leadpipe
1947 Olds "Standard" trombone (Bach 12c)
mickael57280

Post by mickael57280 »

I've seen an ostéopath, she said it's because I must push my scapula forward so my back looks flat, she said it's the muscle around the scapula that must support the horn, not just the small muscles of my armes, I've tried but it's very inconfortable to play like that.

My horn is a Yamaha 448G.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

mickael57280 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:30 am I've seen an ostéopath, she said it's because I must push my scapula forward so my back looks flat, she said it's the muscle around the scapula that must support the horn, not just the small muscles of my armes, I've tried but it's very inconfortable to play like that.

My horn is a Yamaha 448G.
The good news (sort of) is that the 448G is a light instrument. The bad news is it's harder to find a lighter instrument. Maybe for a while you could play a very light straight horn, like a Yamaha 645.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

A quick workaround could be to sit in a chair with arms that are the right height for the left elbow.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

baileyman wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:03 pm A quick workaround could be to sit in a chair with arms that are the right height for the left elbow.
This is a good suggestion. My wife has a desk chair with individually adjustable armrest heights. If you max out the left rest, it's at least better than nothing.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I have never used one, but you might look at the ergobone.

http://www.ergobrass.com/trombone/
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I did this when I had a left shoulder problem (tendinitis and an impingement)...

--Took a few weeks off entirely. (Did other musical things during this time.)
--Did the strengthening, ice, and anti-inflammatory that my docs suggested.
--Started playing an with an Ergobone. Used it for a few weeks.

The Ergobone is WELL worth the money.

Good luck!
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
cboalesjr

Post by cboalesjr »

A resource I found is Trombone Spinesaver. You might check it out on YouTube. It stabilizes the horn in three dimensions. Best wishes. Charlie. P.S. I have one on order...just recovering from surgery #3, so I'll need some help!
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I want to mention two other possibilities in this old thread. I have the same problem

First is pinched nerve in the neck. Solution is either steroid injection or surgery. I had an injection, and it has helped for a few years.

Second is if you are taking certain drugs, they can effect your muscles adversely. In particular statins cause muscle fatigue.
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

There could be a third "or". Correct posture. Not just in playing the trombone, but in every activity in everyday life. By being more mindful of my posture, I have virtually eliminated the tingling in my left hand/fingers from bulging neck vertebrae as well as the cramps in my lower back from years of shoulder slumping. Anyway, what harm would improving one's posture do. You may still need one of the other "ors", but what harm can adopting good posture do.

Shoulders back. Chin tucked in. Lower back slightly arched; all when sitting, walking and even lying down. What harm can that do.
Ozzlefinch

Post by Ozzlefinch »

Go see a physical therapist and take your 'bone with you. They can very quickly see the problem and get you on a path to healthy playing. You are far from the first musician they have seen..

Return to “Performance”