Good, Change of Pace Rehearsal

StevenC

Good, Change of Pace Rehearsal

Post by StevenC »

In one of the orchestras I play, we had a reasonably entertaining rehearsal last night. We played works from an undergraduate orchestration class. Apparently, the students have trouble imagining four low brass parts. Often there were just two trombone parts, and sometimes a bass trombone or tuba part, but not both. It was kind of frustrating hearing them ask for more from the trombones while our very strong tuba player and I sat not playing.
PhilipEdCarlson

Re: Good, Change of Pace Rehearsal

Post by PhilipEdCarlson »

StevenC wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:17 pm Apparently, the students have trouble imagining four low brass parts. Often there were just two trombone parts, and sometimes a bass trombone or tuba part, but not both. It was kind of frustrating hearing them ask for more from the trombones while our very strong tuba player and I sat not playing.
Maybe they could imagine them, but believed it beyond their ability. I can imagine students cutting corners to survive! Hopefully they learned something from the experience, as that is the point, right? Dealing with frustrated trombones is probably good experience for them too. ;) Hearing it from the orchestra can shed a different light than from the professor.
Philip Carlson
TR-181, 72H, 88HCL, 32H, 30H, 4H, 50's Super, 40's Super, Buescher True-Tone 410 & The Buescher, Constellation Euph, Getzen Severenson
StevenC

Post by StevenC »

PhilipEdCarlson wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:16 am Hearing it from the orchestra can shed a different light than from the professor.
Oh yes. You could see that hearing their music performed was a big deal. I was glad to be part of that.
Mv2541

Post by Mv2541 »

Considering how famous their composition teacher is (if we are on the same page) I seriously doubt it is a lack of skill or knowledge. Perhaps they simply did not have the bass bone/tuba colors in their heads while writing the music.
Software Developer/Educator
JP Rath 236 - XT L101 C+/AS
Bach LT16M - XT L101 C+/D3
Bach 36BO - XT L101 E/E4
Edwards T396 - XT L101 F+/G8
Courtois 502 - LB L114 L/L8
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

If you are writing for a sub-High School ensemble, it's likely that there are only 2 low brass players (and sometimes none). If the students were writing for such an ensemble they may have really wished that the 1st and 2nd in your orchestra played the 1st part while the 3rd and tuba played the 2nd part (tuba 8va basso if needed).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"

Return to “Performance”